X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scoly
    • Jan 2001

Front projector vs Dlp?

Been away from the boards for a while with other interest (stereo) taking a priority. Back again and need some help. Interest have changed and am wanting to upgrade my video. Appreciate any assistance.
    Looking for a new tv to move up to the new technology. The only source locally has a panasonic PT AE500U fp and can only show dvd's as a source. this sent up a red flag. Not being able to see it in person makes me wonder so I need help with a decision. Most of my tv watching will be from either cox cable or dishnetwork with about 10% dvd's. How much of a picture quality drop is there on cable non hi-def programming with fp compared to a dlp (samsung picture. Realize there is a tradeoff for the size which on the fp will be 84" and the dlp at 60". Just want a good quality pic for watching football, basketball, baseball, etc. Lighting will be fairly well controlled though not absolutely dark during the day. Really appreciate the advice.
    Steve
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

There will be what is seen as some degredation on non-HD sources. There are ways to improve on this.

1. DirecTV or equivilent.
    2. Make sure it has component video in.
    3. Alternately, you could get a conversion box to convert NTSC to 480P, that would help a LOT, just make sure it's a respectable picture to begin with.
    4. Limit screen size to less than 100" diagonal.
    5. Get a good projector.

I watch quite a bit of broadcats using 1 and 2 above, and normally, it's just fine.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Scoly
      • Jan 2001

Lex,
      Component in is ok and will be on dish so ok there. You recommend a "good projector". Will the panasonic ae500u fit this requirement? I know it is at the low end of fp but it is all I can afford at this time and all the reviews have been good. That said, online and magazine reviews are a poor source and would rather have experienced user input. The dealer is stating bulb life at 6-8k hrs. Is this realistic or are we looking at more like 2k hrs?
      Thanks for your help.
      Steve

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"