X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gordo2
    • Sep 2004

Hitachi PJTX100 or DLP

I'm debating the purchase of the PJTX100 at a very good price. A sales person at a poplular chain store has told me that the LCD front projector is not a good choice and any DLP projector is better than the LCD. I plan to mainly watch sports, HDTV, and DVD's in that order. A concern I have is with some comments I hear about the blurring when during fast action, is the case for both DLP and LCD? I'm new to home theater systems and this site and would appreciate any help. My projector budget is around $5,500 if something was a stand-out but would like to get something in the $2,500 price range if possible.

Thanks,
    Gordo2
  • gordo2
    • Sep 2004

I should add that the DLP projector the sales person recommended was the Infocus 4805.

Thanks Again,
    Gordo2

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

As always, I keep coming back to "trust your own eyes".

This little Hitachi strikes me as being a pretty decent unit in it's class, especially if you can get a good price.

Check this thread for some comments:

The issues to be on the look out for any specific DLP are "rainbows", and temporal dithering. The latter is most obvious in fast moving low light scenes. Brighter scenes don't have so much problem. An over simplified explanation is that DLP's are either on or off, and approximate intermediate levels by pulse width modulation; in low light scenes, they have to be off most of the time, and have trouble responding accurately to scenes with panning or lots of mostion while maintaing good image detail.

LCD's have more issues about contrast ratio and sometimes banding due to panel issues. Hard to judge without seeing them. 1200:1 sounds pretty good as digital projectors go.

Keep in mind Sony's introducing a new model, the HS-51, with a light modulator panel, which reportedly will get very high contrast ratio's, and of course won't have the rainbow or temporal dithering isuses that bother some people with DLP. But no one's seen this one yet.

It would be best to view the projectors you're considering with several kinds of program material that you like and use a lot, plus some ones' that are "acid tests", like low light scenes from Gladiator, LOTR.

Or, given the pending introduction of the Sony, it might be a good time to wait....

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Check out this thread on the Yamaha LPX-510:

I'd be giving it a good long look if I was in the market for a +/- $5000 FP :yesnod:

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Hi, Gordon, I pretty much concur with what Jon said. Both the PJs you mnentioned are getting a lot of good reviews.

The Yamaha Jason mentioned is said to be the best looking lcd out there today.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• gordo2
            • Sep 2004

Thanks to all of you for the good information and the tip on the Sony HS-51.
            I think I'll hold out a little longer to see the HS-51 as long as the wait isn't too long. Something else from Sony that I'm interested to see is their new type of screen that's supposed to work well with a fair amount of ambient light. If it's a nice Sunday afternoon with a good NFL game on, it would be nice if I'm able to open the windows and curtains a little.

Thanks Again,
            Gordon

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

(Doing my best Jedi impression with added arm wave) You do want the Yamaha LPX-510 :rofl:

Seriously though if you have the budget give it a serious, long look. It's supposed to have the PQ, contrast and resolution of DLP's without the inherent single chip DLP's shortcomings. Read the review in the other thread and see if it doesn't pique your interest

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• gordo2
                • Sep 2004

Thanks Jason,
                I've read the reviews and it definetly has my interest. I can fit a projector at this level in my budget but the Sony was interesting enough to maybe have me wait. It looks like it's meant to be a replacment for the HS-20 which is a little cheaper. Anyway, you convinced me enough to at least do more research on this Yamaha.

Any thoughts or comments about the longevity this type of LCD projector?

Thanks,
                Gordon

Comment

• gordo2
                  • Sep 2004

I went back to the place that gave me a good price on the Hitachi to ask about the Yamaha LPX-510. They gave me a price on the Yamaha, well under 4K. I've seen the Hitachi and Infocus 7205 and were impressed by both but I don't have a place in this area to see the Yamaha. I'm still tempted to go for it as it seems to beat the Hitachi.

Any suggestions on the best screen to use with this Yamaha? As written above, sometimes I'd like to leave some doors open and maybe shades slightly cracked while viewing sports.

Gordon

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Well under 4K!!!!!!! :E :T :drool: Ooooh that's not fair :sos:

I'd say if you want awesome black levels in a dark room a high contrast grey screen with a gain around 0.8 would be your best bet. If you want a brighter picture in room that will occasionally be slightly bright a 1.0 gain screen. If you have to compete with a high amount of ambient light most of your viewing time, you may have to go for a bright white screen with a gain of 1.2-1.4 though your black levels will suffer especially with a chip based display.

If it was me I'd probably go with either the 0.8 (most likely) or 1.0 but you really should go see a decent FP (even if not the Yamaha) on both types of screens in both dark and moderately lit environments to see which you prefer.

BTW if you get the Yamaha I will be REALLY jealous :

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• gordo2
                      • Sep 2004

Jason, thanks for the good screen information. With the information from these forums, I feel like I'm ready to enter the world of home theater. I hope to place an order this weekend to get started.

Gordon

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Soooo you place the order yet?

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

• gordo2
                          • Sep 2004

Not yet, I was ready until I found a bunch of opinions from people that viewed the LPX-510, HS-51, and the AE700E so I've been reading through to see what they had to say. I've also run across some reading on the Sharp XV-Z2000 that sounds interesting. I'm still leaning towards the LPX-510 as the people that have them seem really satisfied but from the reading, the AE700E sounds pretty good for the price.

Gordon

Comment

• ekkoville
                            • Aug 2004

Just a quick question on the front projections, since I am new at them. Alot has been said regarding the contrast ratio's, but how important is the lumens number they spec? What is the tell-all when being able to produce the media accurately in a daylight atmosphere? And how about the resolution they're capable of as compared to CRT's, DLP RPTV, and plasma's, that is still a big concern I would assume?

Erik

Comment

• rickster
                              • Sep 2004

High Contrast vs. Matte White Screen?

I recently purchased the Mitsubishi XD300U for Home theater use and can not decide which type of fabric to go with; High Contrast or matte white. Does anyone have a recommendation? The main factor here is the 2100 lumen output on this projector is rather high.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Rickster, with that kind of light output I'd say a matte white screen will do nicely.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • May 2003

Originally posted by ekkoville
                                  Just a quick question on the front projections, since I am new at them. Alot has been said regarding the contrast ratio's, but how important is the lumens number they spec? What is the tell-all when being able to produce the media accurately in a daylight atmosphere? And how about the resolution they're capable of as compared to CRT's, DLP RPTV, and plasma's, that is still a big concern I would assume?

Erik
                                  Just keep in mind that the darkest black in any image is determined by the amount of stray light on the screen. If you are going to regularly watch TV in full daylight, then you want a CRT tube TV.

For many people who are upgrading their tube TVs and do some daytime TV viewing with a fair amount of uncontrolled light, I usually suggest that they hold onto their old tube TVs for the day, and for watching news, soaps, etc... And then setup the projector for evening movie watching, and special events.

Then you have a better range of projectors to choose from with regard to picture quality, and good price, and not being limited to having to get the higher lumens rating for daytime viewing.

-Dean.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

:agree: Yup :yesnod:

Jason
                                    Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Not yet, I was ready until I found a bunch of opinions from people that viewed the LPX-510, HS-51, and the AE700E so I've been reading through to see what they had to say. I've also run across some reading on the Sharp XV-Z2000 that sounds interesting. I'm still leaning towards the LPX-510 as the people that have them seem really satisfied but from the reading, the AE700E sounds pretty good for the price.
                                      Sounds just like me!!
                                      The more you read the tougher it is to decide.
                                      However, you are certainly doing the right thing..
                                      Research , research and research. You will certainly find
                                      what's right for your needs and your budget.
                                      You have to really appreciate the advice you can get from
                                      the Forums..I sure do!!:yesnod:

Best of Luck!!:T
                                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• gordo2
                                        • Sep 2004

It seems this time of the year is an interesting to buy as new equipment is on verge of being released. I agree, I feel like I'm going to school I'm learning so much. Good luck with your search.

Comment

• Chaz7
                                          • Aug 2004

If one is to go Hitachi, then a high contrast gray screen is a must, Stewart Gray Hawk or Da-Lite HC. But the Yamaha's black levels will stand up nicely on a 1.3 gain white screen (of course they will also benefit from a Firehawk). As far as contrast and lumen measurements, you can't rely on manufactures' claims, even with standards such as ANSI. There are so many ways to measure, so many variables. I've seen it in these threads before; rely on your eyes (and probably your bank account as well). I have done side by side comparisons on the LPX-510 and the PJTX100. Of couse the Yamaha won, but for the money, the Hitachi is a bargain.

Comment

• TDOofSD
                                            • Sep 2004

Deleted Stupid Ad post by soon to be deleted member

The Hitachi is a great projector, indeed I just got one for myself from [Deleted URL by MANAGEMENT. They got the best prices in Antartica (haha) that I could find. Anyways I am loving my hitachi and also loving the price. Only 2600 Canadian dollars what a steal. Anyways good luck on deciding on which projector to buy.

Comment

• eaflaps
                                              • Sep 2004

Can you help a fellow Canadian?

[COLOR=Blue]
                                              Originally posted by TDOofSD
                                              The Hitachi is a great projector, indeed I just got one for myself from [Deleted URL by MANAGEMENT. They got the best prices in Antartica (haha) that I could find. Anyways I am loving my hitachi and also loving the price. Only 2600 Canadian dollars what a steal. Anyways good luck on deciding on which projector to buy.
                                              I did my homework and I too have arrived at the Hitachi PJX100. Can you clue me in on where you got such a bargain. I cannot find much for Canadian retailers who are selling this model at a good price.

Curtis

Comment

• BradF
                                                • Nov 2003

Curtis, this guy joined up at a bunch of HT forums last weekend and started shilling for an import company out of Hamilton, Ont. Grey market stuff; apparently dealing thru PriceJapan. Don't know whether the company is legit or not.

Comment

• eaflaps
                                                  • Sep 2004

Thanks for the info:

Thanks for the info. I have found this Hitachi on eBay for $1699 US and I am quite sure it is an American model. I will buy from there as the warranty is on the up-and-up. Price Japan seems like the shipping and hassle for warranty will kill you if ever needed.

Comment

• mikeyc
                                                    • Sep 2004

Gordo: I'm also shopping for a PJ and have done months of extensive research. Of the PJs you mentioned, the Yammy has the best PQ but also the highest price. Up to a few weeks ago I had decided on the Hitachi 100 even though it has a bit of screen door effect but the features (lens shift, 16:9, 720p etc) sold me. But then..... all the reviews of the Panny AE700 came out. For the price this one's the bomb, got all the features of the Hitachi plus its "smothscreen" virtually eliminates SDE. I haven't seen it yet in Toronto because it hasn't been released but the preliminary reports are excellent - great colours, contrast, features and its a relatively bargain. The Sony 51 is also supposed to be very good but its about US750-$1000 more than the Panny. I'm waiting for it to be released and if its as good as they say I'm getting it. My advice is to wait if you can for the Panny.

Comment

• gordo2
                                                      • Sep 2004

Mikeyc, thanks for the comments. l've been reading about the AE700 and it does sound good. I've been trying to consider everything in the price range to $5,000 but as time goes on I like your advice of waiting a little longer for AE700. The next challenge will be to find who will sell this projector. My dealer that has been quoting me great deals says he won't carry the AE700 because it's under the professional line even though he carries the Panasonic TV's. We'll see, thanks again and good luck.

Comment

• Chaz7
                                                        • Aug 2004

Gordo, At $5k you should definately zero in on the LPX-510. Panasonic will be, I'm sure a good unit, but we have seen the projector and read the reviews. The Yamaha is a monster. In Colorado Springs, Colorado it can be found under $5k. There is a dealer here that has it and a cool set up of a Yamaha DVRS-200 (100wpc DVD/receiver) a Hitachi PJTX100, a Dalite HC 92" fixed mount screen, and a complete set of Mirage Nano Sats w/ powered sub for way under $5k. Now that's "home theater in a box! Also, on the quoted price of the Hitachi of $1700.00. It sounds to me it's the presentation model with less than EDTV resolution. Or maybe it's a "refurb" or "B" stock. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• gordo2
                                                          • Sep 2004

Chaz,
                                                          Whenever I hear a good comment for the Yamaha I get closer to making the deal. The dealer keeps giving me a price well under $4,000 out the door, he has to order it so I 've told him to double check the model number a few times and he assures me everything is legit. The PJTX100 price he quotes me is $1,000 less at $2,650. I've seen the Ebay $1,699 deal and the deal you mentioned, sounds like a nice package for under $5,000. I'm anxious to get started building my first HT system but as time passed I thought I'd wait to hear some Panasonic AE700 reviews. Like I said, with comments as yours concerning the Yamaha, I'm confidenent it's a quality machine and I'm getting closer to making the deal. My considerations at this point are: is the AE700 close to as good as the LPX-510 at cost of $1,500 less, is the LPX-510 $1,000 better than the PJTX100? Thanks for your input.

Comment

• Chaz7
                                                            • Aug 2004

Gordo-
                                                            The Hitachi is a good deal, but yes the Yamaha is $1500.00 better. What was very interesting, is on DVD the difference was better blacks (by far) and a slightly sharper image on the Yamaha. BUT, on HDTV, the Yamaha is unbelievably better. Again, I have seen them side by side, and I don't know why the Yamaha was a few feet better on DVD, and miles better on HD. Both units were calibrated to ISF standards, yet there is a visable difference of at least $1500.00, Now, what's cool after saying that, the Hitachi is a steal. But to take it to the next level, I think the LPX-510 is a better value than Yamaha's own DPX-1000! With a $500.00 rebate on the DPX, it's not that much more than the LPX. But I personnally prefer the LPX. Now, if you got a deep pocket, the DPX-1100 is nothing short of awesome. BTW, I just saw the $10k Projection Design DLP (a Scandinavian company I believe). It did not have the black levels or the quiet fan of the LPX-510. I know for a fact it had been set up by an ISF certified dealer, but sorry, it did not cut it. I did not expect it to rival Yamaha's DPX-1100, but for $10k it really should not have (pardon the pun) paled to the LPX-510. Gordo, get it over with and spring for the LPX. It would be next to impossible to be dissappointed. A word of caution; Yamaha does not warranty online purchases. Even if the dealer says they do, they probably don't. Your best bet is to find a a dealer near you, present your price, and if it is legit, they will usually honor it. There are actually dealers who don't sell on the internet, but if there is not an authorized dealer in your neighborhood, they will ship to you, and you actually have full benefits. Some dealers even have upgrade policies. Good luck Gordo, Chaz7

Comment

Working...
                                                            😀
                                                            😂
                                                            🥰
                                                            😘
                                                            🤢
                                                            😎
                                                            😞
                                                            😡
                                                            👍
                                                            👎
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"