• Show
Clear All
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

HP 5880n DLP 1st Thoughts

HP 5880n DLP Review:

First Glance:
    1. The TV is very aesthetically pleasing. Solid black with rounded corners. It looks very nice. I got a big thumbs up from the wife when I put it on the DLP stand. I have a 61-inch DLP stand and the 58-inch TV takes up the whole stand.

Picture Info:
    1. The PQ is very nice. I have not had the chance to calibrate the TV with AVIA or any other feature. But out of the box with factory settings the PQ is very nice. Rolling through the settings menu there is enough things to adjust to sink a battle ship. So much for just the standard Contrast, Hue and tint settings. This thing has all sorts of adjustments. Blue level, Red Level, and the list goes on and on! If you wanted a set that has all sorts of flexibility for adjusting PQ then this is the set for you!

2. Being used to Sony’s in my house that is the TV that I can compare it to the most. The HP DLP is a softer picture than my old Sony. I am having a difficult time trying to find the words to explain what I mean by this. The Sony was very Bright and the picture was almost razor like. The DLP is defiantly sharp, but it has more of a Movie Theater Softness to it that differs than the Sony. Not a bad thing, but some thing I thought to point out. I guess the best example that I can use is when there is Text on the screen. The Sony has Razor like Text, and the HP DLP has softer text.

3. I have yet to see the “Rainbow” on this DLP, so that is good!
    4. Overall I would have to say that the picture quality over all is equal to the Sony’s With the Sharpness of the screen and the bright levels being different. Sony being extremely bright!
    5. The HP does not have the "Screen Door" effect that I sometimes saw on the Sony. I definatly like not seeing that.

(Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I have NOT calibrated this set yet!)

If you want a more detailed review of the PQ Sound and Vision did a review on the 65-inch set that is just like my 58 inch. Plus I have not calibrated it yet, so not too much on that issue.

Connections:
    1. I love the connections on this TV! All the connections are done at the FRONT of the TV! You press the HP logo on the front panel, and if opens up to show you all the connections! You simply push your cables through the big slot and the bottom of the TV to your AV gear below! Very nice. No more turning the TV hooking things up, and then turning the TV back straight! Very nice job on that one HP.

2. This TV has 2 HDMI inputs, which are very nice!

3. You also change the lamp from that front panel as well. Also a very cool feature.

Other Stuff:
    1. I love how they did the Source selections. They have 2 ways. Instead of hitting TV/Input and going through the 7 or so inputs like most TV’s, you hit “source” and a screen pops up at the bottom of the TV that list all your sources. You just use the remote to move it over to the input that you want and hit select! Very nice!

2. The other way that you can select sources is to hit Source 2 times, and it pops up several video screens. That visually display whatever video content is on that source. Also a very cool feature. I had DVD, Sat, VCR and I had 3 pictures going to choose from. The other inputs had a circle with a line through it to say that there is no content on those inputs.

I know that most every one is always ranting about how great their stuff is, and every one should get it. So let me be the first to focus on the issues that I have with the TV. I think that it would be more helpful in the long run.

Problems/Concerns:

1. The biggest problem that I have with this TV is NO Discrete IR codes yet! That is a HUGE problem for me! I was trying to program my MX-850 remote and there are NO codes that allow me to select HDMI 1 and then Component 2. I have to go through and manually select what video source I want to view. Now that is a problem for me, as I did not buy a HDMI switching receiver. I saw that the HP had 2 HDMI inputs so I jumped on the RX-V2500! Now I have to either go with component video for everything, or manually change the source! That sucks!

2. Good news on the subject, I got up with Universal Remote, and 5 hours later when I did live update, there was discrete IR commands that allow me to select HDMI1 or HDMI 2. The only problem with these discrete IR codes……THEY DO NOT WORK! But then again I got the latest MX-850 Editor and it is not working right. I am talking with Universal about this. Half the time when I open up the Software editor I get an error signal, and the program will not open. So I am holding out hopes that Universal will get the new Editor Software fixed, or my computer will get fixed one or the other. Either way I have to have discrete IR commands or I am going to be pissed!

3. While the connections on the front are awesome, they pose a small problem. You need another 1.5 feet on all your cables. Not a problem if you are having Lex custom make your cable lengths. But if you are getting pre-maid cables, you have to get one size longer. That adds to the cable mess in the back of your amp rack.

4. The menu operates slower than the Sony. No more hitting the buttons like a mad man the TV will just not keep up. Not a huge problem, but it is like running a P3 when you are used to a P4.

5. When using the HD tuner built into the TV. When you switch channels the screen goes black, then the audio comes on. Then the screen flickers on and off, the audio cuts out, Picture comes on, and then the audio comes on again. Very distracting, and ticks me off!

Final Thoughts: HP did a good job for their first TV’s. The built in HD tuner flicker is not going to be a problem for me, as I now have all my HD and regular TV going through TIVO. The over all looks of the TV by itself makes a nice addition to my living room. The Picture quality is what I had expected….AWESOME! I am glad that I have not seen any rainbows, that is very nice. If I had it to do all over again, I would still get the HP over a new SXRD. The only thing that I am really hopping mad about it the IR commands. But like I said…. I think that Universal Remote is all over this. The discrete IR commands are now listed in the IR database; I think it is a problem with my Editor Software.

As soon as I get the living room painted and everything pushed back to the walls, I will post some pictures of the system.

Also.....when I get it calibrated I will expound on the PQ a little more.

Blessed,
    Snap
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Sounds Good Snap :T Can't wait to see the pics and here your post calibration remarks :yesnod:

I hear you on the discrete input commands though. That was one of the selling features for my Hitachi for me, an individual button and command for each input :T
    Jason

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

Thanks Jason, I hope to have the LR painted tonight. Then probably by Wed I will have everything back into the rack. I hope! If not my wife is going to give me a :frypan: and a :smackbutt: So soon bro.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with the HP REP, and he and Universal had a long talk. They do have discrete IR codes with the New 850 editor software. They are having problems I guess with the new Editor Software download? :scratchhead: So it looks like that is going to be resolved! Thank God!

I'll give it to Sony for the ease in programing that is for sure. But then again HP is new at this whole TV thing.
      Last edited by Snap; 19 December 2005, 14:30 Monday. Reason: oops wrong smile. I flipped myself off!
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"