Rainbow effedt on BenQ pe8700? or should I get the Panasonic 500 LCD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRulz
    • Jun 2004

Rainbow effedt on BenQ pe8700? or should I get the Panasonic 500 LCD?

Im stuck... it's down to these two projectors....

What would YOU recommend??!?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Jason
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Buddy! I have a question ?

Have you personally ever seen a rainbow ?

I have a DLP....a low end one as in X1 on 120" Screen....no rainbows that I can see....

So I wouldn`t worry to much about that... :T
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I do see rainbows on my NEC dlp. It has a 4X color wheel and the color flashes are infrequent, only visible when bright objects, such as a flame, are outlined against a dark background. Frankly the rainbows don't bother me a bit, but there are certainly people who can't stand them at all. Others get eye fatigue and headaches. The best advice I can give is see the BenQ before you buy it. LCD won't cause headaches, and you won't see rainbows, but some lcd owners can't stand the fixed pattern noise that's common to lcd projectors. I don't feel it is wise to buy anything in the thousands of dollars sight unseen. Just my opinion.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

I have a NEC DLP projector with a 2X color wheel that I've used for over 2 years. I alternate movie playing between my DLP XGA projector and a D-ILA/LCOS projector.
        DLP generally has better contrast, black level, and smaller screen door than LCD models, but LCD has been catching up quickly.

I won't say that DLP rainbow/headache issues are overblown hype, because some people genuinely have a sensitivity to the color wheel strobing of DLP FPTVs, especially the older models with 1X/2X color wheels.

But in all of the time that I've owned and used my DLP FPTV I've only had good comments about the picture quality, and no complaints about rainbows or headaches. I've seen rainbows once while watching one particular high contrast DVD and shaking my head back and forth. But I don't recommend this movie watching habit for most HT enthusiasts.

To me the issue is similar to the fact that some people's eyes are simply more sensitive to strobing. Just like some people are bothered by the 60Hz refresh of fluorescent lighting, and computer monitors that are set with a screen refresh of low than 72Hz.

Remember that later DLP FPTVs with faster color wheels and ones with non-sequential colored segments, are less prone to bother even sensitive people.

Personally for me it's not an issue. but to be sure you should sit down in front of the DLP display that you are interested in for at least 30 minutes to see if rainbows are an issue for you.

-Dean.

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Just like some people are bothered by the 60Hz refresh of fluorescent lighting
          Dean, you gotta stop saying that. Fluorescent lights strobe at 120 Hz, a flash for each half of the sinusoidal cycle as the voltage goes through zero. Or else I would have gone insane by this point.

Dean's advice is right on though. Go see a DLP, any one you can, even a crappy little presentation projector, and see if you notice it or if it bothers you. If not, forget the issue. If so, try to see a good quality DLP and then you have a worst case best case comparison for rainbows. The vast majority of people either don't see it or are willing to live with it for the other PQ improvements they get.

BB

Comment

• empire_dnh
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DRulz
            Im stuck... it's down to these two projectors....

What would YOU recommend??!?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Jason
            8O

PE 8700 vs PAN 500U
            its Lexus LS400 vs Toyota Tercel!!!
            one cost between 4 - 5x more than the other
            how can you compare?????

Comment

• LCOS Lover
              • Jul 2004

Just to echo the other comments, make sure and watch whichever you are going to buy for an hour or so. U-571 is good to show the great blacks, and to see if you are sensitive to color break on a DLP. I am sensitive to the color break I guess because I see it without the swinging the head procedure.

It is especially noticeble to me when there are light spots on a dark background mixed with movement. The problem is once I have seen it, it drives me crazy from then on. I keep trying to see it again, usually with rapid movement, like action sequences.

If you are not a goof like me, you might be OK, but the headaches are real.

To be fair the color break (rainbow) issues are the same with a single panel LCOS as they are with a DLP...

Just as a side note, DLP has only 1 panel because the panels are so freaking expensive. They would (and do) have 3 panel systems if cost is not an object. LCD panels are less expensive, and therefore the manufacturers can afford to have 3 in the set. The LCD panel switching speed is not fast enough to support single panel is another reason...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"