X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sloan
    • Sep 2003

Setup

Hello everyone,

I figured before I purchase anything I would seek advice from people with a lot my experience than myself.

What do you think of the following combo?

BenQ PE8700 (http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...me=BenQ+PE8700)
    Grey Hawk 16:9 100in screen

I want the projector cieling mounted
    The room dimensions are 16x16
    The room has moderate to high ambient light levels

1. Is this a decent setup?
    2. Will I have a bright picture considering the light levels of the room?
    3. Do DLP2 Projectors still have that annoying rainbow?
    4. What would you change?

Thanks again

Pat Sloan

PS the BenQ is in stock
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm no so sure I'd recomend the grey hawk to people. Its really a very thin vinyl material that doesn't seem to be very strong which could be an issue if you have kids. also the greyhawk's blacks are very nice but it hampers white level compared to other screen choices. Don't get me wrong its a decent screen but for less money the Dalite HCCV screen IMO is a little bit better as far as a comprimise between black and white levels. You can request screen samples from both Dalite and Stewart if you like so you can view them for yourself before spending the money on them.

There's also home built screens if you're willing/able to spend a little time and effort. I built my own screen for under $100 and it gives me a better image then either of those screen choices mentioned above yet obviously costs far less and it wasn't that hard to build at all. If you'd like more info on that please start a new thread on DIY screens and we'll walk you through it.

As for that projector for $5K there's a lot of options out there to consider and its well above where my budget was when I researched my recent purchase (1HD).

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It's definately a high end system in regards to the chip technology,components and such. If I was getting into DLP this would be one I would certainly give a serious look.

Here is the PDF file for it.

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

You'd probably be happy with that PJ, Pat, but be sure to look around. There are other new HD2 chip projectors coming out at that price point. Also be sure to demo dlp. Some people are bothered by the spinning color wheel that can cause color flashes and headaches. I own and love dlp and am not bothered with any of these issues.

Ambient light issues can be a problem for any kind of front projector setup. You may want to consider blackout blinds for the windows, if that is where the light is coming from. Also, with the 16 feet you have to work with, you will need a medium or short throw lens projector. I couldn't open Trevor's pdf file so I don't know if the BENQ is long, medium or short throw.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"