Clear All
  • Joey Millison
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

BenQ - PE7700 vs PE8700

Hey Guys

*ducks*

Hopefully no one will throw rocks at me for disappearing for so long

Ok here's the deal. My friend was looking for a good DLP projector under $3k, so I did some searching and found that the BenQ PE7700 was the end-all be-all these days. It seemed to fit the price range and the reviews/posts I ready confirmed that it's a pretty sweet deal. So my friend ordered one a week ago and we waited for it to arrive.
    But it never arrived, and so he's been calling them left and right. I guess there was some problem with the shipping, and so BenQ offered him a free upgrade to the PE8700.
    Now, from what I've read, the PE7700's technology actually surpasses the PE8700's. I read that the colors were better, etc. Can anyone confirm or deny this? The PE7700 is listed at like $2,500 and the PE8700 goes for around $3,200. But is this actually a better deal based on the specs of these two projectors? Any assistance is very much appreciated.

A quick shout out to you cats in the TTP ;x( I'll check in soon...
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Joey, just thought I'd let you know we're not ignoring you. Looks like no one here is familiar with those two BenQ models.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• wildfire99
      • Aug 2005

The PE7700 is a very much newer model. (Mar '05 versus Feb '03 according to ProjectorCentral.) Very much newer = better resale and better tech, given the same chips. I gave up on BenQ after waiting all year for their 8720 model.

Unless you really are maxing out the budget at $2,500 though, I'd personally look elsewhere. The new LCD's this winter look compelling.
      - Patrick
      "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

Hi,

Yes there is, only a bit late :-)

I own a 8700 and have seen both the 7700 and the 8700+.

The 7700 and 8700+ are comparable, but the 7700 is the newer model.

The 7700 has more lightoutput, a bit more contrast and the newer TI DLP chipset. It also has HDMI in stead of DVI and has less problems on 50Hz PAL via DVI.

The 8700+ and the 8700 is a very fine projector, but for the price I would wait for the 7700. It also looks a bit better, since the blue/grey housing is replaced by a nice Ipod white colour.
        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"