X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Farewell BenQ W10000 projector

As much as I love the picture on the BenQ W10000, I've given up on BenQ because of its poor quality workmanship. I first bought the BenQ in the Fall of 2008. After 110 hours the color wheel shattered. They replaced the projector. After less than 200 hours, the replacement unit lost half its picture. This unit was also replaced. So I got lucky, or so I thought, with the final unit, but last night, with just under 1200 hours of usage, it blew its color wheel. It would have to be sent away for factory service and I expect the cost to be prohibitive for a 5 year old projector, so I'm going to junk it. And if I do replace it, I won't be going DLP. Enough with color wheels, already.

I still have my Yamaha LPX510 lcd projector as a backup. It's only 720p and older lcd technology that has poor contrast, but it's usable. However, since my wife passed away, I just don't use the theater that often. In fact, I'd say I put less than 50 hours on the BenQ since March of 2012. So I'm going to sit tight for awhile, but haven't ruled out buying a new PJ. I'm just not in a hurry.

Just thought I'd let you guys in on my disappointment with BenQ.
    My Homepage!
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

There are supposed to be some nice laser projectors on the horizon, I'd probably wait for those

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Bummer, George.

I found Panasonic LCD projectors 11 years ago, and haven't moved on to anything else yet. My current one is 6 years old, on the 2nd bulb, and still running okay. (but not quite perfect) Something tells me I'll be buying a new one in the next 2 years, and I'll probably just get Panasonic's latest.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Dear Sir George, even at 50 hr/wk, you deserve some of life's little pleasures!

Get another one, and get it now!

I will start a fund raiser if that is what it takes!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna

I will start a fund raiser if that is what it takes!
          Heavens no, Bill. Money isn't the problem. My theater was something I shared regularly with my wife, and for a long time that empty chair next to mine really bothered me. I'm pretty much past that, but I do have to kick myself in the butt to go downstairs and fire up the PJ. But that'll pass. I'll probably go with an Epson or Panasonic before the winter sets in. The Yamaha will suffice for now. But thanks for your concern, Bill.
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"