X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docted
    • Apr 2004

cables for hdtv

I am awaiting a new Toshiba 51hx93. It will be connected to hd cable.
    What other cables are recommended for hook-up to an Onchyo DVD, a laser disc (Yes!) player, a VHS and a connect between the hdtv cable box and the TV.
    I have considerable high end hi-fi equipment and a multitude of older cables including s-video, s-vhs, etc.
    Thanks. I am a newbie to this fantastic site.
    Ted
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

docted!

From what I understand....unless your Onkyo doesn' t have DVi. (highly unlikely it does...actually I know it doesn' t)....it won' t change much....however if you can go component go.....for the VHS....doesn' t really matter either way.....

Hope this helps!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Different connection types yield different amounts of video quality. From best to worst, those connection types are: DVI, RGB, Component (HD), Component (480p), Component (480i), S-Video, Composite, and way at the bottom, RF Coax.

For HDTV, you have to use component video, or DVI. The other connections aren't compatible with HDTV signals. RGB is only available on projectors, and generally not on consumer RPTVs.

For DVD, use component if you have a second set of component inputs on your TV. Otherwise, use S-video. If you have a progressive scan DVD player (480p), you have to use component to gain the benefits of 480p.

Laserdisc is a native composite format. If your deck has an S-video output, try both composite and S-video to see which looks better on your TV. If your TV has a better comb filter than your LD player (which it probably will since you're getting a new Toshiba), composite will look better for LD.

For regular VHS, composite is probably the best you're going to get. If you have a S-VHS deck, S-video will give you some improvement.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Ideally you want to connect each component with it's most superior output. Unfortunately not all equipment has DVI or Component outputs. Basically the order you want to use (based on availability) is DVI, then Component(Colour Stream), S-video, Composite(RCA) and finally coaxial cable. (There are a couple of other formats that tend to be in more "professional" gear like RGB and RGB+HV that you shouldn't have to worry about) Of course you'll also want to use quality cables. If you're looking at upgrading to some quality cables check out one of our forum sponsors Cat Cables. They make awesome quality cables at reasonable prices with even better customer service.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• docted
          • Apr 2004

hdtv cables

Thanks for your replies.
          Ted

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Hi, I'm using the Shaw Motorola DCT 6200 High Definition cable box and a Toshiba 51HX93.

Currently I'm using a Belkin DVI cord to connect the Cable box to the TV. In comparision tests the DVI is slightly cleaner than the Component input.

I'm using Cat Cables Tigress Component cords from my DVD to TV. They are beautifully made, and send a very pure signal.

My Denon receiver is connected to the TV with a AR S-Video cord. It does the job for the receiver's Onscreen Menu.

My Xbox is currently connected with the standard Microsoft cheap moulded cords (S-Video, Toslink Optical) Soon it will be replaced with a set of Moster Cable XGL400 Component cords.

Like Jason stated have a look at the Cat Cables lineup
            Bing

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"