X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HibbardSmith
    • Jan 2004

Plasma and burn in

I'm a new plasma owner (Samsung HPN-5039). I keep hearing and reading stuff about burn in. However, a lot of DVD movies and even HD Television is transmitted in aspect ratios well above 16 x 9 which results in dark bands at top and bottom (letterbox) or in 4 x 3 which results in dark bands at the sides (pillarbox).

At least on this set, "smart stretch" modes don't work in anything but 480i, forcing a uniform stretch (wide) results in a really ugly picture with everyone too fat and zoom modes keep the aspect ratio but lose a lot off the top/bottom of the screen. On top of that many stations use logos or scrolling bars which are likely to burn the screen(so I read anyway).

I've seen many suggestions regarding reducing the contrast and brightness to avoid this. Is this really enough to prevent destroying a several thousand dollar monitor? Is plasma really as vulnerable as it would seem from all the published comments? What do most of you do to protect your vulnerable displays?

I apologise for bringing this up as I know it's been disussed ad nauseum all over the place. However, I haven't yet found one cohesive, intelligent discussion with real conclusions specifically with respect to plasma. There's a lot of hype and what appears to be hysteria out there.

Smitty,
    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
    smitty@essnjay.com
    Smitty,
    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
    smitty@essnjay.com
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I think it is mostly hype and hysteria. Plasma's I would venture are about as likely to have "burn-in" issues as CRT based sets. I think where most people are getting upset is that on a $1500-$2000 RPTV a slight chance of burn-in is "acceptable risk". On a $6000 plasma it's not so acceptable... 8O

In regular viewing, (changing channels watching different aspect ratios etc) your risk of burn-in should be pretty minimal to non-existant on a properly set up unit. (If you haven't used AVIA or Video Essentials to set up your colour, black and white levels etc. DO IT!)

Now leaving your not properly set up, contrast boosted plasma on a sports channel with their logo and a "ticker" with the scores permanently on the bottom of the screen for hours on end day after day is probably not a good idea though. Other than that you should be fine.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by aud19
      I think it is mostly hype and hysteria. Plasma's I would venture are about as likely to have "burn-in" issues as CRT based sets.

Jason
      Mr. worst case scenario here. We install monitors and such a lot in the queues for the rides. The form factor of plasmas makes design and integration a lot easier. However, they burn in much quicker than CRTs. Now given, we show repeating, often static, media for up to 18 hours a day on ours, but they are also the most expensive and best built commerical offerings, also. They last little more than a year in our environment before suffering degradation you would find unwatchable. Where we can, we use direct view LCD.

In short, it's not all hype. You do need to exercise some caution if you want the thing to last a while.

BB

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Like I said it's mostly (not all) hype and hysteria Although it is possible for plasma's to have burn-in issues, as you illustrated with your example, that is a worst case scenario. Most people will not have nearly static images on their displays for 18 hours a day. Heck most people won't run there displays that long each day at all, static image or otherwise. So as I said, there is a chance of image burn in but if you take care of the set, properly calibrate it, minimize static images etc just like CRT there shouldn't be a problem

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

'K.

Was focusing on the "as likely" part. I think they're somewhat more likely to burn in.

BB.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Fair enough. Let's say they're slightly more likley to burn-in than CRT's when abused. Agreed?

Jason

Jason

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"