X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Preacherman
    • Jan 2004

Rainbow

Found this, and never having witnessed rainbow effect I thought it may be useful. Now I know what everyone means.

Deacon

Check out - www.dvdprofiler.com
    My Collection
    Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I think I've seen that one before. I can only see rainbows with the top Rainbow word, though. I think it's designed so that everyone can see them, for demonstration purposes, not necessarily to discover who can and who can't see them.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Yup! That's basically what it looks like!

Between that and the artifacts from temporal dithering, I don't know if I'd ever own a DLP display. Some look pretty good for a little while, but the funny things they do really bug me over time. Now, that's not to say there aren't issues with other displays, but I guess it just depends on what you find more annoying- there are compromises everywhere in life!

Someday I figure we'll have good, high contrast 1080P three chip LCOS FPTV and RPTV, and then I'll be able to buy a display I won't want to replace for qutie a while.

The really good CRT rigs look great, but even a tweak head like me tires of maintaining the convergence and focus. Just ask ThomasW when we both used to have Zenith FPTV's, and every time I visited him in Colorado I did a minor tune up on his!

~Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yeah, I too used to own a Zenith FP.

As for DLP, well I couldn't disagree more with Jon here. I love the NEC I own. A lot of the issues people have with dlp are certainly genuine, but I guess I just don't have the same issues. At least I am not aware of them from my normal viewing distance. The picture I see is as close as anything I have seen to crt, especially in the contrast and blacklevel department. In fact, every time I spin a well transferred dvd I marvel at how striking and filmlike a picture the NEC offers.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

And that's why one should always look and listen for themselves- it's what works for you in your system that counts, not what some guy a couple of thousand miles away on the internet thinks!

The NEC HT1000 is one of the best XGA, no, make that probably the best XGA DLP projector for HT. For anyone considering an XGA 4:3 projector, they should definitely give it a few. IMO it exhibits a much lower degree of DLP issues than most of that technology.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Right, Jon, I do realize that as individuals we all see and hear things differently. I guess that's why some people like Denon receivers over say a Yamaha or a Marantz, or B&W speakers over Paradigm.

However, there are many people who have genuine issues with DLP projectors and I can only say that I am glad I am not one of them. I can assure you that if I got headaches, or if dithering, rainbows and fatigue ruined my viewing pleasure, I would be into LCOS, D-ILA or even LCD, which I already own as well as the NEC.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

It's funny that I never think of rainbow effects, except when I read about them in discussions on HT forums. I regularly switch back and forth between watching my D-ILA projectors, and my NEC DLP projector.
              But rainbows are NOT the reason.

My D-ILA FPTVs have higher resolution, so they are visibly better for watching HDTV material, and the DLP projector has cheaper bulbs, so I use that unit for more casual viewing, internet and gaming use. Plus it's a tiny projector, so it's the one that I use for HT on the road, when I want to watch movies at friends houses. The tiny FPTV and portable computer pack into one PC case with speakers and all, weighing less than 20lbs total, which I can haul around with one hand free. 8)

But I try to always remember to mention to people who have never seen a DLP projected picture (who are looking to buy a digital projector) to watch at least 30 minutes straight to see if there are any visible issues like rainbows (or bad scaling/color/artifacts) with the picture.

-Dean.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

That's the rainbow demo I seen that completely swayed me away from DLP.
                I was interested in some of the low end models in which reviews had indicated that the rainbow effect was a possible issue.
                Since I was in a position to buy unseen at first, I decided to
                stay away from DLP due to potential rainbow effects. From the demo, I would not be able to stand a video image that presents that type of effect. :nonod:

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

So Trevor, you never actually saw a DLP display for yourself? I think you owe it to yourself to check one out and find out for sure if you see them or not.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

Trevor, I'll second that idea that you need to check out DLP projectors with your own eyes, because most people don't see rainbows with the newer DLP projectors (with the faster color wheels).

Comment

• Legairre
                      • Jan 2002

Before I bought my LCD projector I checked out an X1 and couldn't see any rainbows. I was close to buying a DPL projector that was a lot more then my Z2, but I started thinking. All because I don't see rainbows doesn't mean my wife, kids and other family members and friends who come over for movie nights won't see them. If I was the only one who used the pj them I would have probably gone DLP , but since I'm not, well you know the rest...

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                      Radden Home Theater
                      "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                      Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"