X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Preacherman
    • Jan 2004

An Introduction

Hello all,

I have posted a couple of messages already and realized I haven’t really introduced myself. My real name is Bruce, my wife’s name is Shannon and I have a 12 year old son Damian. I’m 34 and live in Orlando, FL (Home of the Rat). I manage a large home inspection company. And, I am an avid collector of Comics, speakers (much to my wife’s dismay), antiques, useless computer junk and not so useless computer junk, computer games, & War memorabilia. OK so I’m a pack rat (also, much to wife’s dismay).

As I have stated in an earlier post I will be purchasing a Sanyo Z2 and probably the 106" Dalite Cosmo Elec.screen.....white or gray still up in the air on that one. Will also be upgrading my receiver and speakers. I will probably be adding to my arsenal as I become more enlightened of the benefits of other certain equipment I see talked about in these posts.

I would love any opinions that you all may have to share as I am venturing into new waters.

In the photo’s to come please excuse the untidiness.
    So, here is a quick glance at what I have and some thoughts on what I have in mind.

First the room: This is walking through what used to be sliding glass doors to a slab. The previous owners had added a 32.6' x 15.6' rectangular addition. ( soon to be THE ROOM ).

This is looking to the right as you enter the room. Pool table is going. It has been a great table for sorting my books and folding laundry. However it is rarely used for playing pool and I feel I can utilize the space better for viewing. Screen will hang just in front of the closets that are on either side of the slider.(see plan on down the page). The right closet will become my a/v rack. I haven’t decided whether to use the shelves that are in there or knock the shelves out and try and find a rack system on wheels to slide in there. Btw- I picked this side and not the other because the sun will rise on this side and I will not be watching movies at dawn. Also the fan above the pool table will be removed.

This is looking to the left as you enter the room. There is a slider at this end also, which I had installed about 8 months ago before the War Department (wife) said I could get a projector. ( Had I known, I could have had a fixed screen...Oh well)

What I have now ....soon to be gone. Well at least the TV and Entertainment Center. Equipment and speakers will stay.

ONKYO TX-SR500

HITACHI FX530 HI-FI VCR

TOSHIBA SD-3950 PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD

TV 36" PROSCAN

SUB -RCA - PRO-SW220P 200W

RCA A/V SOURCE SELECTOR

RCA SATELLITE RECEIVER

SCIENTIFIC ATLANTIC EXPLORER 8000 (supplied by Cable Co.)

Man ! Looking at the above pictures could you tell I am not a photographer ?

A quick birds eye plan.

We will have blinds and curtains to shield the light which at this point is my greatest enemy. This addition also has a flat roof so I am going to install fake beams up the walls on either side of the entrance and across the ceiling. Then crown molding in the sections to run the wiring behind.

BTW- Trying also to figure where the Center channel will go..hmmmm :??

Well again Thanks in advance and I hope to add to the witty banter.. 8O

Deacon

Deacon

Check out - www.dvdprofiler.com
    My Collection
    Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Bruce,
    Welcome to the "Guide"

From the looks of thing you are going to need lots of light control.
    3 windows and 2 sliders 8O ...what about the entrance to "the room" will you be able to keep light from entering there?
    The other closet could be used for software storage

Should be fun watching your progress 8)

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

Deacon, Welcome!

That's a nice room you have there and has many possiblities. I'll take a closer look at the room and see what advice I can offer...folks around here are sure to chime in with great advice as well!

Erik

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Bruce-

Hiya, and welcome to the Guide! windows and glass doors will not only be a problem with light, but acoustics as well, even if drapes are placed over them. Of course, the optimal answer is to create a boxed-in room without such glass, but this isn't possible or desirable for so many people.

As for the center channel, you may want to consider placing the center channel behind your projection screen for perfect acoustic imaging. (especially if you're already planning on having the screen placed away from the front wall) An acoustically perforated screen will be a good chuck more expensive, though. This is what I'm choosing to do.

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Preacherman
          • Jan 2004

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The other closet could be used for software storage
          ??...thats a lot of space for software... 8O

Light:
          Yes, the most stress for me is ambient light. The upside (I think) is that I usually only have time to watch anything in the evening. And, thankfully football season is over so really no reason to watch during the day. The entrance will probably have Drapes on either side that can be closed. The Wife will be decorating and she is aware (very ) of my light concerns.

Center Channel:
          Have thought about mounting the center channel above the slider. However, if it take a different type of screen that’s more expensive I may have to just keep the center channel and stand in the bottom of the closet and drag it out when its movie time.

Deacon

My Collection
          Bruce

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Maybe its time to look at this project from another angle. By that I mean how may rows of seating do you think you'll want? If you only need one row you might consider moving the screen to the wall with the three windows. 15.5' is plenty of room to install your screen and still get in the 10 foot distance to the PJ. Doing that would also make your centre channel issue easier to solve and your rears could be mounted to the rear walls on either side of the enterence. If you moved the HT to one side of the room you might still have room on the other side for the pool table too! Its not without its trade off's too but its something to consider.

PS welcome to the guide!

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

Deacon, what are the dimensions of your room?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

• Preacherman
                • Jan 2004

Andrew, that was my first idea. But wife wants the non used pool table gone. There will be one row of seats porbably a couch and a bean bag or video game chair of my son's. Behind the couch I was thinking of moving my office desk that way I could run that wiring also. Along with having my bar where my entertainment center is now.

Efarstad: room is 15'6" x 32'6"

Deacon

My Collection
                Bruce

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Sweet size there, Bruce. NICE and big to work with. Wish my room was that big! (I'm at 12' by 22') One thing to watch for, though... the first thing an acoustic engineer will tell you to watch for in rooms is having dimensions that are multiples of each other. (i.e. the worst room would be a cube, like 9' x 9' x 9') Multiples will cause multiple nulls where the sound bouncing around the room will cancel each other out. Do you have 8' ceilings? If so, you're within 6" of having a room that's 8' x 16' x 32', with a classic case of multiple dimensions. What you can do to help yourself out is strategically place large objects or new false walls to break up these dimensions. For example, you mentioned your bar... if it's very large, that would take up a good portion of a wall such that you're effectively making the room dimesions narrower, then you're helping yourself out.

CHRIS
                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Preacherman
                    • Jan 2004

**Update** These are the actual interior dimensions.

I am so glad to be hashing this out with competent people. I am learnig a lot just search through the forums.

Deacon

My Collection
                    Bruce

Comment

• efarstad
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2001

Hi Bruce...I just played around with your room for 2 minutes and here's an idea:

You can build a new wall to separate the two rooms, thus creating your theater and then a cozy library/den area as well. As Chris mentioned, windows are a problem, but you can cover them with acoustic appropriate curtains to help deal with those window and doorway areas. An ideal, would be no windows...but in a perfect world we'd also have homes already built with theaters!

Also, you can custom build your speakers into your existing side closets as well as mount your center channel near the ceiling in an acoustically transparent sofit....in short, there are numerous ideas/layouts for this room. Like a nice arched casement in the rear to access the library, den, but would also add to the "appeal" of the theater as well. You can continue the "arch" them throughout the rest of the theater as well....with just minor new construction details.

Anyhow...just a few ideas. Let us know what you think or how we can help!

Have fun buddy!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

Comment

• Preacherman
                        • Jan 2004

I too had thought about closing in that side by adding a wall. However, the War Department likes the panoramic view of the back yard and pool area when all the blinds are open. Thanks for the thought.

Deacon

My Collection
                        Bruce

Comment

• efarstad
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2001

Ok then, flop that design around...hide your "electronic screen" up in a sofit on the other side of the room and the "war department" gets her view during non-movie times...push a button, screen comes down and it's movie time!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                          E-Cinema

Comment

• Preacherman
                            • Jan 2004

Now we're cookin..... :f>'>

Deacon

My Collection
                            Bruce

Comment

• efarstad
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jun 2001

I have a bunch of ideas for you Bruce, so just let me know...my first in an "Italian Villa" them based around archways and choice fabric and colors!

First you'll need to establish a few things:

1. Budget...how much do you want to spend on new construction and equipment.
                              2. DIY or hire a contractor...that will change the budget considerably.
                              3. But most importantly, make sure you have fun with this room...it has so many possibilities...you want to make sure it's "you" and that you get excited about it everytime you walk in! 8)

Erik

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                              E-Cinema

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"