X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

RainBow Effect ..Can you see it?

Here is a link in regards to the Raindow Effect.

I can see the rainbow effect in the top lettering.
    Some people don't see it.
    One of the reasons now , that I am concerned with DLP.
    I would not be able to watch a movie or program if I see the rainbow image effect. Way to distracting!

What does everybody else see!?

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Isn't that special. Well, myself I see it. But here, be aware, the better DLP PJs with more than 1 or 2 color wheels can be much better than that crude example. Budget DLPs on the other hand can be more likely to experience it, though I can't say it's exactly like that image.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Even if you don't see if what's the chance that a guest or family member might? That alone was one of the major reasons I wasn't willing to gamble on DLP given I had no way of demoing an X1 or similar priced DLP machine locally

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I too saw rainbows. But is that really demonstrating the same principle on computer screens s the rainbow effect on DLP projectors? Aren't all computer screens (pretty much) LCD? Different technology than the DLP, which lays on one color at a time, doing it so fast it usually blends together to the human eye.

FWIW, I have NOT had bad experiences seeing rainbows with DLP projectors very much.

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Aren't all computer screens (pretty much) LCD?
          The flat panel ones are like all notebooks but the larger more traditional ones are CRT's

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Yup, Cathode Ray Tube. Ha, you didn't think I knew that huh?

Lex
            Doug

Comment

• Claude D D
              • Jan 2003

The "raindow" effect is noticable on some material especially white titles scrolling on black back ground.But since that is usually just end credits I don't find it a problem.

I've had 20+ people over to watch movies on my X1 and have never had a complaint.I found far more problems on my 50" Toshiba(shadow ghosting with bright objects on dark backgrounds,scan lines,flickering top and bottoms on letterbox flics,internal cabnet reflections etc.)

The benefits of my X1 DLP with the Faroudja DCDi far outweigh the dissadvantage of the occasional rainbow effect.(For me anyway)

If you look for flaws in anything it will be there.When I kick back to enjoy a movie I never find rainbows to be a distraction.Heck, if I hadn't read about "rainbows" in forums I probably wouldn't even know they were there!

I bought my X1 sight unseen and have been very happy with my purchase.It has easily made the "BIGGEST" impact in my HT.

Three of my friends have also put off plans to buy RPTV's so they can get X1's.(and use the money they saved to upgrade other components).

Comment

• Jurgen
                • Jul 2003

I’ me one of those unfortunates who can see the rainbow effect, which is exactly why even a high end projector like the Marantz VP 12 S2 won’t suffice(a friend of mine owns that one, so I’ve experienced it first hand). Other than that, there is no question that dlp is the superior technology.

Perhaps my time will come when the digital cinema technology (dlp without the colour wheel)finds its way to home cinema and is affordable (but I guess by that time my plvz1 is burning up its second bulb
                :sn )

Jurgen

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Claude, please don't take the rainbow effect personal. Sure, it's perfectly fine to justify why DLP is ok, and we need to hear that! I just don't want you or any other dlp owner to feel like they have to justify their purchase. We know why you purchased dlp. dlp has a lot of benefits.

LCD on the other hand can have worse blacks, strange red colors as the major drawbacks. For some people, either of these problems make LCD a bad choice. Myself, I've found these problems to be acceptable, so why not LCD?

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Feb 2002

Trev I think that everyone is supposed to see the rainbow in that example. That link is simply a simulation of what you might see if you were susceptile to rainbows. In other words, the rainbow is intentional in that example. If you don't see it, you may have a bigger problem.

The actual effect is thought to be caused by the spinning colour wheel.

You would have to demo a DLP and play it through a movie to see if you suffer from eye fatigue and rainbow flashes. It's the only way to be sure. The problem is that if you have company over...there's no way to know if your guests are going to see it or not. So,

If you entertain a lot, you may want to take that into consideration or step up the technology (price) and look into higher priced DLP and not the presentation variety.

Gordo

"A RONSTER!"
                    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I'm sure most dlp owners see rainbows at one time or another. It really does depend on the source material. When I first got my NEC HT1K I didn't see rainbows in several of the first movies I watched. The first time I saw them was with Gladiator. With many torchlit scenes I was able to see several color flashes. I still see them on occasional material but for me, at least, it was not a deal breaker. In most cases they come and go so quickly you hardly notice. I should also say that my wife has never seen these color flashes, nor have many people who have visited my theater. I never mentioned rainbows to my wife or anyone else for that matter, and maybe that's why they don't see them. The old adage,: what you don't know can't hurt you, I guess.

I would be more concerned if I, or anyone else watching movies with me, got headaches.
                      For those that do, I can just switch over to my Sony LCD.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Energeezer
                        • Sep 2002

Being A CRT owner I've never seen em.
                        I have however seen a two DLP demos lately and never saw them on those either. 1 was an x1 and the other a 7200. Now that I've seen the obviously exagerated demo you have ruined the mystique forever. LOL
                        I have to say that I am impressed with these new units and while stil not up to first rate CRT IMO the benefits of theses little machines is really starting to outshine the drawbacks

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Well, I will need to see in person a DLP projector in action before I order sight unseen.
                          Just for piece of mind..
                          Once I see something abnormal on screen, I always seem to be lookig for it rather than paying attention to the Main Attraction.

Trevor
                          My HomeTheater S.E.
                          Sonically Enhanced
                          C5
                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Most aren't up to first rate CRT pricing either, nor setup hassles, nor sheer weight for setup. Nor do they cost as much to put a bulb in as putting 3 guns in a CRT.

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• Energeezer
                              • Sep 2002

Lex
                              I would love to discuss the drawbacks and benefits of each technology but as you know I have been asked by admin not to mention C**.
                              On the other hand I will say as I have said repeatedly that the new Digitals whether DLP or LCD are quite acceptable to me.
                              As far as the costs goes for replacement I have a response but my lips are sealed and the truth is with the new tech it costs less more often.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Steve start a new thread on CRT's as I'm sure we'd all like to understand them better. I know George has a CRT in his theater as well and he's being around CRT's a long time so I'd like to hear his input as well on the topic.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"