X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garypen
    • Jan 2004

Entry Level Advice

I'm a new member. I've worked with projectors for many years in a corporate environment, but am relatively new to home FP, other than Dean's extremely cool setup. (Yeah, Dean, it's that Gary.) I have some basic HT questions.

I recently decided to go the FP route, combined with a small 30" HDTV direct view for broadcast, instead of purchasing a 42" plasma to handle everything. This was after watching a movie using a beat up old LP730 I borrowed, projected on a bare wall. I decided that even that crappy setup had more impact than a $5000 HD res plasma.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Epson Powerlight Home 10 ($1079) and the Sony VPL-HS3 ($1269). The Sony seems to have better inputs, image processing, and brightness, while the Epson has lower price, better warranty, and would be more suitable for my particular installation. (The Sony would have to be ceiling mounted because of it's ridiculously short throw.)

I would like to keep costs down, but still get a reasonable amount of quality on an 80-88" wide 16:9 screen. I would prefer to simply sit the projector on a shelf approx. 12' from the screen, behind the seating area, instead of directly above it from the ceiling. However, I'm not totaly against ceiling mounting.

My actual questions (he finally gets to the point!) are as follows:
    1. Which projector would you folks recommend in that price range?
    2. Which screen material would you recommend? (I know Dean uses the Stewart GrayHawk.)
    3. How much should I expect to pay for a fixed 80" wide screen? (Can I save money by buying the screen material, and making my own frame?)
    4. Should I use a high gain or high contrast surface?
    5. Does anyone have a preference of ceiling mount maufacturers, in case I go with the Sony? (I use Chief mounts, professionally, and don't care for them in my home environment.)

As an addendum to the FP setup, I will have a small 30" direct view HDTV for most broadcast stuff. It will be on a low stand, directly below the center of the FP screen. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should get the Sony KV30HS510 ($1400) or the Philips 30PW850H ($900).

I'm sure the Sony is a better TV. But, is it really $500 better, considering it will only be used for broadcast HD and SD. Even then, the special broadcast HD will be up on the FP. I could sure use that $500 for other stuff, like an FP screen.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Gary, welcome to the forum! Now, if you know Dean, you've got some pretty good advice, first hand. But briefly, as it is late here, I'll try to revisit and give further opinions tomorrow, but for now?

1. I purchased a 1200.00 projector 3 months ago. ViewSonic PJ51 4:3
    2. In December I purchased a ~2K projector (Sanyo Z2 equivilent) 16:9

Let me tell you that the 800 difference bought SO MUCH MORE. The Z2 is giving the picture quality that even 5K couldn't give not that long ago. It's amazing really for the money.

It's the hot ticket right now, and I'd have to say, if I was ready to spend over 1K. I'd try to go to 2K for the Z2 or Studio Expreience 2HD, (same projector).

I'm not a believer in high gain screens, as they wash out the blacks to much. I'd go high contrast grey, or classic white.

My honest opinion? I'd use whatever normal TV you can for a while for general viewing, and go for the better projector right up front. You'll be happy you did when you immerse yourself into the movies.

I'm not trying to anti-sell against what you offered as alternatives, but I have no experience with them.

I'd give http://www.Carada.com a shot on your screen. I have their classic white screen, and love it. Price is very reasonable.

Generally, 1000 or so, only buys SVGA 800 X 600. Get the higher res of XGA at 1284 X 760. Get the second TV later, maybe spring for a 32" plasma or something, small and easy to move around. I personally have had it with heavy tube based sets myself. But it's your call!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

The Sony HS3 is a true 16:9 widescreen WVGA lcd PJ with a native panel of 858 x 484 pixels. This will be just fine for dvds, but will fall far short of the HDTV requirements, so I am not sure just what kind of picture you will get with HDTV material. On the other hand, it sounds like a good entry level Pj at a reasonable price. But as Lex pointed out, adding a little money to the budget makes a big difference in what you can expect in results picturewise.

As for screen , I have always used a Da-Lite 1 gain Damat. My current model is a fixed 16:9 baby. This has worked well for me from a crt to an lcd to a dlp projector. But I have a dedicated room, no windows and total control over ambient light.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

Hi Gary,

As usual the prices on projectors keep slowly dropping, and as Lex mentioned more money often buys much more of a projector.
        But there are some good deals in various price ranges.

Low cost models like the Dell MP2200 MP have 1200 lumens, and are rated at 1700:1 contrast, with a 2000HR bulb life. For a suggested price of $899! 8O Of course it is 800 X 600 SVGA resolution, but for an entry level projector that's still pretty good.

Moving up the line is the new BENQ PB6200 with 1700Lumens, 2000:1 contrast, 3000HR bulb life, XGA resolution for around $1599. 8)

And if you are planning ahead to see HDTV (remember there are at least 6 broadcasting digital stations in the Bay Area available with just and antenna and STB) then the Sanyo Z2 is one of the new HT performance leaders.

It's not as bright with 800Lumens, but with an 84"-96" screen and some light control it's MORE than enough. My little NEC LT150 has 800 Lumens and I can get a decent picture even blown up to 13' wide on my big gray perforated screen. And the Z2 has full 1280 X 720p native resolution with 1300:1 contrast, and DVI-HDCP digital inputs for right under $2000.

For screens I've owned Draper, Da-Lite, and Stewart. And starting out inexpensively, you could simply paint your wall flat white and project directly on it. Or go with a simple fixed screen, or manual roll-up screen for a couple hundred dollars.

I've seen a pretty good picture from several high contrast screens, and the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision (1.1 gain) would be a good pick for your sub-100" screen size. You should be able to fin that screen (as a fixed model) for around $400 with frame.

For the smaller TV, either the Philips or the Samsung Tantus TXN3098, but if you were looking at spending around $1400 for the Sony tube TV, you would get a bigger, better picture from the Mitsubishi WT42413 table-top display.

Anyway, there are MANY good choices, and good bargains to be found today, so it's good to look around and research a bit, and see as many displays as you can with your own eyes to judge what you like best.

-Dean.

Comment

• garypen
          • Jan 2004

Lots o' good advice so far! I will give that Sanyo a look see. (I probably won't go a Samsung for the TV though. While they have certainly improved recently. they still fall short of the competition while costing almost the same. They'll get there someday, though.)

Does anyone have any good recommendations for low price vendors for Da-Lite and Sanyo?

Also, I realy don't think I'll be watching to much HDTV through the pj. That's why I want a decent TV. The PJ will really be for DVD movies. Sure, there'll be the occassional sporting event, concert, or HBO HD. But, "King Of Queens" will do just fine on the TV, I think. :-)

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

Welcome to the forum garypen.

The Z2's seem to be hard to find right now for less than about $1900-$2000 but if you look hard enough you'll eventually find someone with one in stock.

As Lex said... the Z2 (or 2HD in his case) is a fabulous PJ for the price. Although I've never owned another PJ other than my 2HD I can't imagine a better picture.... it's truly awesome at 97" and it didn't look a bit worse at about 110" which is about as far as I got testing it. 110" was a little big for our HT room. I've not done any major adjustments to my PJ thus far and we've watched several movies and lots of satellite. It just looks too good to mess with.

For the record... my drywall painted Misty Evening Gray is doing all I need in the form of a screen. I can't see spending money on a screen when I get what I get from a painted wall. If there's any improvement I can only imagine it would have to be faint and not that noticeable for me. I would suggest saving the money to start with and later buy if you feel you're not getting the pic you want. Believe me though... the ME screen does work great.

Good luck with your decision and be sure to let us know what you do.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• garypen
              • Jan 2004

Thanks Sonnie,
              I did some research on the Sanyo, and it sounds great. What is the throw distance for your 97" "screen"? I would prefer not to have to ceiling mount it, and a coffee table setup is definitely out of the question. I really want to shelf mount it behind the seating area, about 12.5' from the wall/screen. (BTW, when you say 97", are you referring to diagonal or width?)

To further confuse matters, though, I also stumbled upon the Panasonic L500. It sounds as good as the Sanyo, if not better, at the same price point. Reading the user reviews of both models, as well as the "shoot-out" on Projector Central, also makes it tough!

I will also start out just using a white wall as the screen, at first. But, since it has that weird bumpy surface that's so common in modern California condos, I'll probably need to get a screen soon. I'm just wondering whether I should get the standard "Cinema Vision" from Dalite, instead of the High Contrast Cinema Vision, since both the Sanyo and Panasonic are relatively low light at roughly 800 lumens.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Actually Gary, as far as the shelf mount, you may need a side vented projector for that. The Z2 is that. I remembered that being emphasized in an article I read, and of course, I've got mine sitting here and can see very well, no vents in rear. Just keep that in mind while looking.

Dean brings out some very good points. Man, that Dell with 1700:1 contrast ratio, impressive for 899.

Lex
                Doug

Comment

• garypen
                  • Jan 2004

The bad boy would be sitting at the front edge of the shelf, so even a rear vent would be fine. However, I think I've chosen the Sanyo over the Panasonic for a number of other reasons, including your comments.

1. Because of the adjustable aperture, it can put out more light than the Panasonic, which is handy for daytime and dusk sporting events.

2. The throw is a little better suited for my situation.

3. Much better warranty at 3 years. (Add the free one year extension from Amex, and I'm cookin' with gas!)

Unfortunately, these suckers seem to be back ordered until the manned Mars mission takes place.

BTW, that Dell does sound good on paper, except that it's DLP (and 4:3). That's like reading the computer dating profile of a prospective date wherein everything looks great, until you find out it's a guy. (Not that there's anything wrong with it.)

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

Actually garypen I don't think I'd get too caught up in the lumens ratings.... I think Lex mentioned it but you won't get near what is claimed with lumens or contrast. Testing that I've read even shows that there's no common output measurements taken throughout the different manufacturers.

My throw distance is almost exactly 12 feet so your 12.5 should work good. My screen is 97" diagonal.

Here's the distance calculator for the Z2/2HD:

As far as a bumpy wall (if you want to save the $$ on a screen) you can install a 4' X 8' sheet of MDF or Parklane Plastic... cut and paint it as long as you don't want bigger than a 97" diagonal. Just a thought.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

You are making the right choice going with a FP and a regular TV for TV viewing vs a plasma or RPTV. I got my Studio Experience 1HD last fall and it was the best purchase i've made for the theater.

As for screens there's a wide variety of home made screens that you can do for not a lot of money that have the potential to beat even the Stewart Greyhawk's of the world and are fairly easy to do. The simplest solution is to simply paint the existing wall with a grey based paint like Sonnie did. From there you can move up to painted cloth screens and even using plexiglass as a substrate to paint on. If painting isn't for you there's still the option of buying the raw screen cloth from a vendor and simply mounting it to a frame. You can get Greyhawk for about $10 a square foot so a typical 92" screen won't break the bank to badly and a frame can be as simple as some 2"*2" screwed together.

Comment

• garypen
                        • Jan 2004

I guess a trip to Home Depot is in my immediate future. I hate that place, though. Finding the simplest, most basic things turn into an all day adventure.

I think I'll do that soon, actually, before I get the new PJ. I'm currently using a beat up old business projector, and can use the home-made screen right away.

What color gray was that again? Oh. And what is MDF? (I missed last week's episode of "This Old House".)

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Probably something like a misty grey. comments you other guys?

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard (similar to particle board, but more like sawdust in composition. Very "dense", and very heavy. lol. Benefits, stays straight very well, and it's a heavily inert material. More dense that plywood.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                          Doug

Comment

• garypen
                            • Jan 2004

Is that plastic heavy? What about masonite? That's not too heavy.

Is gray definitely better than white? I assume it increases contrast. Does it suck up much light?

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

No... the Parklane plastic is very lightweight. It will roll up for easy transport. You then have to lay it down and let it level out once at home. But it's supposedly easy to paint and easy to work with.

I think masonite would work okay if you can get a side that's extra smooth.

I don't believe it would really matter what you use as long as it's very smooth and as long as you apply a couple of coats of Kilz 2 for preparation of the final Misty Evening gray coats. I sanded lightly in between every coat to help the smoothness.

The Misty Evening gray is a Glidden color. Any paint store that doesn't sell Glidden should be able to cross reference the color.

I'm not using the full light output of my PJ. I have plenty of light to spare and can even turn on the lights in the back of the room with no ill effects on the image. Now the front lights do wash out the image slightly but I'd have no problem watching a movie with the back lights on the entire show.

Unless you have a bunch of windows in the room or have absolutely no control over the lighting, I don't think you'll have a problem with the Z2.

I'm not sure if gray is better than white because I've never tried anything but ME gray and love it. Supposedly though, from what I've read, gray is better with contrast. Some folks swear by it.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

MDF wouldn't be my first choice for a screen simply b/c its so heavy. You could just sand and paint an existing wall if you like or if a substrate would be easier consider stretching blackout cloth over a simple frame. That makes for a very light frame that's easy to move. From there I'd try some 1/8" hardboard and paint on the smooth side. Note that with stuff that thin you're going to need some way to brace it if its not screwed right into the wall. Parkland plastic is very common though as it was cheap and easy to get (at least in the US). If you go over to AVS and do a search on parkland there's litterally hundreds of post on the stuff.

The Misty Evening Grey paint is a quick and easy screen paint that most people really like. There are other options using silver paints that can look better but trust me painting with good silver paint is not easy to do without a sprayer....and even then its a PITA

Comment

• garypen
                                  • Jan 2004

Well...I stopped by Home Depot today to look at materials for a home-made screen. I'll probably use thick plastic sheeting or cloth stretched around a wooden frame, and painted light gray. Does that sound OK to you folks?

One thing I noticed when looking at the Glidden color swatches is that Misty Evening is actually a very light green! Yes, it's sort of gray. But, it is definitely in the green family. Light green. But, green, nevertheless. Doesn't it cause a slight accentuation of green in the projected image?

As for the projector, I'll continue to use an old Sanyo business projector for the time being. It's 2200 lumens, but low contrast, so the gray screen will help. It's XGA, and has composite inputs capable of 480p thru 1080i. It'll have to do for now. (We're also buying a miniDV camcorder, so money is an issue.)

As for the TV, we settled on the Sony 30" 16:9 HDTV. None of the other 30" direct views come close. Since almost all of our TV viewing, including the HD will be on the TV, we wanted a good one, despite costing hundreds more than Philips or Samsung.

We're set with audio. In our space, I'm happy with my Sony ES receiver and BIC Venturi speakers. I may upgrade the DVD player, and will add a DISH 811 HDTV receiver.

It'll be a nice setup, I think. I'll post some pics. Of course, Dean, you're invited over, once it's done.

Comment

• garypen
                                    • Jan 2004

UPDATE:

My HT is almost finished... for now. Just gotta get the screen.

PJ - I will continue to use a "business" PJ, Boxlight MP37 (Sanyo PLC-XP20N), for now. I decided to stay with it for the time being after seeing an HDTV signal from my new Dish 811 Sat/OTA receiver. It looks pretty good at 1080i. Someday, I'll upgrade to a true HT PJ, based upon this forum's recommendations.

Screen - I will use a pull-down Draper or Dalite with HC surface. A 60x80 is only around $150. I'll order one this week. It should help the relatively low contrast of the PJ. When I upgrade to a true 16:9 PJ, I'll get a permanent framed screen with a fancy fabric.

TV - Sony 30HS510. It's outstanding, and was only $1379 delivered.

Audio - Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver partnered with BIC speakers. I'm just starting to think about upgrading the speakers. They sound pretty darn nice, though.

DVD - Samsung DV2500 DVD/VCR combo with Memory Stick playback. This a weak point. Will be getting a Sony DVP-NS725, modified for all-regions. The Samsung will move into the BR.

HDTV Receiver - Dish 811. Excellent HD image from both sat. and OTA. Excellent OTA SD DTV image, as well. I receive 23 OTA DTV channels from 12 stations. BTW, the regular Dish programming doesn't look as good as I remember from when I used to subscribe. I don't know if it's because they are squeezing more into the same bandwidth, or I'm just spoiled by HD and SD DTV, or if it is the 811 model itself. (In any case, it kills Comcast.)

All in all, I'm pretty happy. I'll post some pics.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • May 2003

Gary,

Another good place to find screens or screen material is Cousin's Video:

You can buy just the loose material and staple it to a frame, or do what I did and order the screen material with a black border and grommets, then build a simple frame with j-hooks and tension it with nylon cable.

For me, the frame took a few hours to buy the materials from Home Depot, build and assemble. And ended up costing me a fraction of the cost of a full, metal-framed, finished screen. 8)

-Dean.

Comment

• garypen
                                        • Jan 2004

Great tip. Thanks! How much extra did it cost for the black trim and grommets? Since it will be mounted flush to the wall, couldn't I forego the frame altogether, and attach the grommets to hooks directly on the wall?

Would you recommend the HC Cinema Vision or HC Matte White?

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • May 2003

Gary,

I don't remember the trim pricing, but the whole screen and frame cost was around $800 for a 180" 16:9 DaLite Audiovision perforated screen, which was less that 1/4 of the premade, fixed-aluminum-framed version from an A/V store. 8O 8)

I don't think just putting the j-hooks into the wall would work well. The drywall material probably wouldn't hold up to any tensioning.
                                          But you could build a VERY simple 16:9 frame with 1 X 2s, use L-brackets for the corners, and anchor the frame sides into vertical wall studs.
                                          You could probably put this together in an hour or so with a screw driver, pliers, level, and a handsaw. It will likely take longer to plan it out than to build it.

I'd choose the HC CinemaVision screen material, although you couldn't go wrong with either one.

-Dean.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                            • Jan 2002

The ME doesn't cause any green tint in any of our images that I can see. Most people that use it claim it has a bluish tint. None the less... it looks like a very light gray to me once painted on the wall.

I agree with Andrew on the MDF... it's extremely heavy and there's much lighter material to use.

Sounds like you got it all set up fairly well... congrats!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• garypen
                                              • Jan 2004

I wish I could just paint the wall. The stupid un-smooth plaster finish gives the image a grainy appearance. I wonder if the surface is less noticable if painted gray? That would be cool. I could paint a 60x80 area, and build a frame/border out of 1x1, painted flat black. Easy and cheap.

Maybe I should test it on a small area, before buying a screen or screen material?

Comment

• Lex
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Apr 2001

If your wall is not smooth, you've got to do something to make it smooth, or cover it with screen material, imo.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                                Doug

Comment

• Claude D D
                                                  • Jan 2003

Hey ladies whadda ya mean MDF is heavy??Eat your Wheaties evey morning and you'll have no problems with it!!!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • May 2003

Gary,

If you want to test it out cheaply just go and buy a white bedsheet (or light gray). Iron out the creases and tack it up.
                                                    That will give you a rough idea of what a basic 1.0 gain, matte white screen will look like.

-Dean.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                      • Jan 2002

I agree... I don't believe you are gonna be happy with a rough surface.

Once ME drys it looks very light. My wife swore it was white until I put a white object next to it.

Okay... I'm off to find some Wheaties... I've got some heavy lifting to do with this pen.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• garypen
                                                        • Jan 2004

Dean - You read my mind! I have a white bedsheet, but was planning on buying a gray one tomorrow!

I was even thinking of streching the gray sheet around a wooden frame and using it as the permanent screen. Do you think that's acceptable? (If it's no good, I can simply replace it with a cut-to-size Da-Lite fabric from that joint you recommended. They were very helpful when I spoke to them on the phone.)

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                          • Sep 2001

One thing you might want to do to increase the effectiveness of the bedsheet-as-screen on a frame is to put a layer of black felt underneath it. That prevents light that goes through the sheet from bouncing back off the wall and smearing the image. Although felt by the yard is fairly inexpensive, if you decide later to go with a DaLite surface, the felt can be "recycled" to make blackout mattes to frame the edges for various aspect ratios.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • May 2003

You could get a light gray sheet for the front, and a black sheet tacked to the back to reduce light reflection from the wall. This would be a good idea even if you got the DaLite screen material.

I have a perforated screen, so this is even more of a problem, but I have my back walls and speakers covered with black velvet material for just this reason.

Remember, if you are going for a gray sheet, choose a very light gray.
                                                            My Grayhawk screen appears white when you look at it, and you can only see it as being gray when you hold up a white piece of paper next to the screen.

Try for 300-thread count sheets, as they are a tighter/denser weave. 8)

-Dean.

Comment

• garypen
                                                              • Jan 2004

Ah done gots me a screen! On Saturday, I hung a Dalite High Contrast Matte White Model B. Because it's a 4:3 pj, I got a 57x77. But, the majority of material is DVD, so it does end up letterboxed. That's OK. A 77" wide letterbox is fine. Plus, the lower box is where the captions go. (Yuki likes to read along when she can't understand the spoken English, like in a British or black film.)

It sure beats the crap out of the bare "designer" surface of the wall.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • May 2003

Gary,

You know, I didn't actually make the connection until just now as to who you were. (Yuki was the unmistakable clue)

Which means that we actually need to come by and see your new screen firsthand. 8O 8)

Give me a call and we can set up some time soon to visit.

-Dean.

Comment

• garypen
                                                                  • Jan 2004

The first thing to go is the memory.

Comment

• garypen
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2004

The first thing to go is the memory.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • May 2003

What is the second thing to go?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2001

Dean, take it from a 68 year old... you don't want to know what the second thing is. :LOL:

My Homepage!
                                                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2001
                                                                          • 7637

Double post. I tried to delete but it tells me I am not a moderator. Guess Doug fired me.

My Homepage!
                                                                          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                                                          😀
                                                                          😂
                                                                          🥰
                                                                          😘
                                                                          🤢
                                                                          😎
                                                                          😞
                                                                          😡
                                                                          👍
                                                                          👎
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"