X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Line Multipliers

When does one decide that a line multiplier is needed with a Front Projector?

What built-in line doublers are acceptable?

Is one needed with say any or all DLP FPs?

Thoughts

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Outboard line doublers ( or quadruplers) were a must with most CRT front projectors, but digital projectors like lcd and dlp usually have an onboard scaler and doubler built in. Some are better than others, though lately it seems that most do the job without having to spend more money on an outboard unit. Then some find that a good progressive scan dvd player does a better job than the projector, but with each new projector, there seems to be less need of a progressive scan dvd player. It really boils down to good de-interlacing and many projectors now use Faroudja chips.

If you are in the market to buy into either dlp or lcd, it would really pay to see how the projector works with video and film material using its own de-interlacing capabilities. A progressive scan dvd player will take care of film based material, but for HDTV and standard broadcast material, an outboard scaler/line doubler would be necessary if the projector has too many artifacts and jaggies.

If a projector has the DCDi by Faroudja label, I'd feel very confident that an outboard would not be needed.

Hope this helps.

George

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Thanks George, the one thing I should remember here is to ask them to switch to over-the-air broadcasts. Most times the demo is done with pro-scan DvD and looks good.

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yes, absolutely, Uncle Clive.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"