X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave D
    • Apr 2003

Progressive Scan vs. Line-Doubling?

Hi all,

I seem to recall somebody telling me that certain video signals will undermine the line-doubler in my Runco DTV-943 projector. Can somebody please explain?

I ask because I'm upgrading my DVD to progressive-scan and component video and worry that one of these changes might defeat my line-doubler, resulting in a degraded picture.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

[generic info about line doublers]
    Line doublers convert interlaced (480i) video to progressive (480p). They don't really double the number of scan lines, it should really be called a deinterlacer.

When you use a progressive scan DVD player, the deinterlacing happens in the player rather than the projector. In this case, the doubler in the projector is bypassed, since it is not needed.
    [/generic info about line doublers]

I just looked on google, and see that the DTV-943 is a CRT projector with a built-in scaler (which is different from a line doubler, as it can scale a signal to a resolution other than 480p). I couldn't find any specs online (or much of any info at all on this PJ) to determine if the internal scaler will accept or scale progressive signals. CRTs are best run with scalers since they can upconvert to a resolution that gives optimal performance from the projector - if you ran 480p into a CRT without a scaler, chances are you'd see scan lines.

If progressive signals aren't optimal for your projector, you can run the dvd player in interlaced mode.

Comment

• Dave D
      • Apr 2003

Thanks a million, Kevin!

I guess I'll give Runco a ring and see if I can't get some official specs on the 943's "scaler." It's really quite surprising how technical the 943's manual is -- right down to tables of hex codes for IR commands -- but no mention of the scaler whatsoever. Not a word. Grrr....

Thanks again.

Dave

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"