X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckaroo
    • Apr 2004

Front Projector

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for letting me take part in the forum. I've been retired for a number of years (71, Air Force) and I'm trying to put together a home theater. I have a 10X14 foot room with no windows and a sony STR-DE995 Receiver. Also I have a Infinity BU-2 Subwoofer and the minuette speaker system front,center and surround. The sony is a 7.1 so I purchased 2 more minuette's on ebay to complete it and have 4 rear speakers.
    Now my big dicision is" What is the best projector" in the price range of 1200.00 - 1700.00. I'm pushing 71 and I don't want to get taken.

After reading this forum, I know I will get good advice.

Many thanks

Chuckaroo

Chuckster
    Chuckster
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Hey Chuckaroo!

It`s Bamaroo!

hey why don`t you check out the thread right below this one one...The Infocus X1....is...right in your price range....and....it is a DLP!

woo whoooo!

I have it....and....I love it Truly!

Take care !

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

And if DLP gives you headaches or causes you to see color flashes( Rainbows) try out lcd. I believe the Sanyo HD2 falls in your budget range at USD. A few here own this PJ and love it. Plus it offers 1280 x 720 resolution which will be good if you will be watching high definition tv shows on your PJ. If you are only going to use it for dvds, Epson has a PJ with dvd resolution for $1200USD and may even street at much less.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• chuckaroo
        • Apr 2004

Sure do appreciate all the good info. I have taken your advice and have checked out the X1, also I have been looking at the Sanyo Z2, what do ya think? Specks look great. Anybody out there have any info on this machine?
        Also I checked out this bright white screen with a gain of 1.0 to 1.3 on ebay. This stuff any good or does the ME paint put it down?
        Thanks a heap. You guys are a great help. Would appreciate your continued input.

Thanks
        Chuckaroo

Chuckster
        Chuckster

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Chuckaroo!

Cjeck out the thread below my Trevor Schell...comparing the Matinee to the Z2...it pretty much sums it up....

If you have the budget for the Matinee or Z2 I would take that over the X1 because the Z2/Matinee are in HD.....

For the screen...I have a 0.8 gain screen because these projectors play very bright and I want the deepest blacks possible....Your room has a lot to do with it to....

Take care...keep us in touch!

Bam!
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• chuckaroo
            • Apr 2004

Thanks BAM
            I'm sure it will be one or the other. I hear the Matinee has a better warranty so I lean that way a little more.
            Thanks a lot for the great info and I'll let you know how it all works out and now.........back to doing some more dry walling.

Thanks

Chuckster
            Chuckster

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Hey Chuckster... glad to have another southeasterner aboard... welcome! I'm only about an hour from Florida.

You may have a hard time finding a 2HD for less than about $2k right now but the Z2 (same machine) is floating around in the $1700-$1800 range. I'd jump on it. For HD or widescreen material it's gonna be hard to beat IMO. I tried to find the link but couldn't... I know I read somewhere that the Z2 was at $1749 or $1789. You may have to dig really deep to find it but I know it's out there somewhere. When I have more time maybe I can find it for ya. Most of what I've found just on a quick look was $1899-$1999.

Even the 1HD and Z1 (same machines one step down from the 2HD and Z2)) are nice... a couple of guys here in the forum own those and have been very pleased with them. Those can be had in $1100-$1200 range.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

The Z1/1HD are the previous year's model. The resolution is substantially less (960 x 540), although this is the "1/4 HD" resolution that scales nicely with HD sources, so it is not a completely negative factor compared to the Z2.

More importantly (maybe) is the Z1 does not have a DVI port, which the Z2 does.

Another good candidate is a very-soon-to-be-released infocus HT PJ in this price range, read about it here. I would certainly consider it, as InFocus' units are pretty much competitve values across their product line.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • May 2003

I'd also recommend squeezing the budget a bit to get into a Z2. HDTV is astonishing to look at, with a 1280 X 720P projector, and it's quite likely that HD DVDs will be available within the next two years, so spending a couple hundred dollars today would have a good reward a couple years from now.
                  And the regular picture of the Z2 is visibly better than the Z1 even with NTSC material.

-Dean.

Comment

• Legairre
                    • Jan 2002

I've recently paired my Z2 with a Momitsu 720p/1080i DVI DVD player and the PQ is stunning. the Z2 really shines with a quality signal. If you see a Z2 with HD or a DVI player you'll have to have someone hold you back from buying it.
                    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                    Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"