X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Pushing the envelope on 4K Yes, I bought

I know we typically think BIG, and BIG is BETTER when it comes to screens. However, I used some reverse logic with this decision. In addition to cost considerations, I made quality considerations. The set I opted for is the 55" curved front 9000 Samsung curved front TV. You may be saying, curved front, Why? Well, I have my reasons.

4K Television: UN55HU9000
    Manufacturer: Samsung
    Screen lines of resolution 2160P
    Remote Controls: 2 (1 typical backlit rectangular full function remote, also included a half egg shaped combination remmote and pointer) See pointing Functionality:
    Inputs: 1 component via dongle
    2 composite (Really?)
    4 HDMI (6 would have been better)
    1 USB port (2 would have been better)
    Media card slot (no)
    LAN physical input

Outputs: Optical Digital Audiio

Aspect ratio 16:9
    Screen size: 54.6" (straight line)
    Screen type: curved UHD 4K
    Weight 52.5 pounds
    Surround modes (DTS Prremium Sound 40 watts) (Premium sound is debatable)
    Optical digital output for audio is active across all digital inputs)
    Wi-Fi (Yes) As yet, mine has not connected. Gave up on Day 1 and went hard wired.

Warranty: 1 year parts and labor

Pointing functionality: The hub activating "egg" enables the user to point at things, and control cursor movement in a web browser. I admit, learning some of this functionality has not been 100% intuitive, but I am getting there. The pointing device activates a white beam of light on buttons and such, you move it around like a wand and press the activate button when you are positioned on something you want to select. No really...

First, I'm not at this time putting this TV in my main viewing area where my 59" plasma is located. Rather, I am putting it on a new console cabinet at the corner of my great room next to my kitchen. It's the perfect viewing location for my kitchen nook computer workstation viewing. The curved front plays into the location as well, as in being slightly more visible to my angled viewing area. I have the set sitting on a slight angle facing my seat. I also setup a BD 3D player at the location on a small table behind my console cabinet. I have an OTA RCA amplified antenna that is capable of receiving local channels. I also got the temporarily at least included USB drive, that comes with several movies on it, and the ability to download more content from Samsung, I presume at a cost.

I'll come back and do a full review as I get this set burned in, and become more familiar with it. Already tonight, I located an enhanced black level setting, and whoa, it took it to a new level of viewing. Outstanding and VERy film like. no sharp edges, no dot crawl on edges. I looked considerably at Sony, Sharp, and Samsung. Of course, I have had confidence in Samsung display technology for a while. But I have also found that they do not give their best stuff away on the lower end. They typically have 2-3 grades, and there are visible differences.

Yes, it was more expensive than a Sharp, or other lower line brand name. Note I do not say lower quality. I choose to let each buyer look at their set in terms of quality that meets their expectations.

The up convert is outstanding from BD. I watch very little non 1080p content now. So I won't even make that a consideration really. The 3D, I am on the fence about. I have watched 1 3D movie. That could be my player, or it could be something else, or it could even be a player setting. There's so many settings to consider nowadays.

I did get the digital audio for my USB drive ported to my home theater via optical, check. I have ran Directv 1080p with it, check. There's a few cool featueres that in theory at least should be useful. But there are some gotchas too. I'll explain later.

I have had difficulty with wireless internet connectivity, so I just connected via wired. But then I try to log into HBO or Showtime connections, and have issues. HBO wants you to sign up for some new account. Showtime flat out wouldn't allow me to do it with their web based login, it said it was operating system incompatble. So, bleeding edge.

But getting more and more happy with the overall quality of my 54.6" diagonal 4K Samsung 9000 as I get it fine adjusted some, including black levels optimized for LCD. They don't come optimized out of the box.

My plan is later, much later, I will update with a larger 4K when they become more cost efficient for my great room main viewing area, but I think this set has a spot regardless. I spend a lot of time at my kitchen desktop computer. It's comfortable, and it's my lifestyle. I don't just sit in front of a TV and do nothing. I have never liked notebook computers in my lap a whole lot, it just isn't very comfortable for me. So here, I have fantastic viewing of my curved front, to the right of my main straight ahead vision at monitor, with everything slightly oriented to the right.

Oh, this set features something called One Connect. (I think that's the right name) What that means is, all the processing power is in a small narrow box. all the USB/HDMI/component video, etc... connect via the one connect. It came with a single component video dongle, that plugs into the one connect, everything else is HDMI. There is a optical digital audio output, and USB connectivity. Then there's a single cable that goes to the TV. The advantage is, if there are significant software or firmware updates down the road, I can buy a new One connect box for around $400.00. It also keeps the heat down in the display, making it more of a dumb 4K terminal. Another advantage is shorter HDMI cables to components located close at hand, and those are pricey as you know...

I setup a small table right behind my console the TV sits on for my components. Well, the Directv box is sitting on the end of the console, the DVD player and one connect are on the table beside. All that is still fluctuating. I am attempting to bring basic cable into the picture too, more on that later. so far, it's not working due to a Comcast issue. I am pursuing possibly dropping directv and their 120.00 a month bill for something less. I'm tired of that big bill.

I watched
    Life of Pi
    Two Star Treks,
    some nature documentaries
    watching a WWII movie now, not sure the title.

I have downloaded nothing so far.

My packing box is 100% reusable, and is already stored away for safe keeping. If I ever want to move my curved front, I can put it back like the factory packed it, likely.

One reason I did not like the Sony 850 XBR personally was the 4 legs located at the end or 3/4 way. I tend to not like "pronge" based feet. I like a flat, streamlined stand, such as on the 9000 pictured. :-)

A comprehensive review is going to be several pages long guys. Bear with me as I explore and have time to write up my findings. I'll keep adding to the review here.

Sunday night 12/7, watching Homeland on Showtime via Directv, and some show called the Affair. It's filler while waiting on the new Homeland tonight...

1080P upconversion: One of the things that attracted me about the Samsung sets, especially the 9000 curved front is the smoothness of the upconversion of a 1080p signal. In the showroom, the canned viewing makes it a little hard to extrapolate all the information you need to make an informed decision. But I spent enough time there, to realize, that there were some differences in upconversion algorithms going from Sony to Samsung. Sony, I found had some artifacts showing on the faces as it transitioned movement of people. Part of this may be the clear motion rate, and part of it could be the upconversion formula. I'm not 100% certain.

The Clear Motion rate on the Samsung 9000 series is 1440, that is the highest that I saw. Now, in the Sony's defense, I am comparing a set that was $1000 less in money to the Samsung. I wanted the 65" Samsung, but it was $3700-3800, and that was OOB. But once I stopped and thought about where I wanted the curved front, I decided the 55" was in fact, the optimal size for that location! Therefore, I pushedd myself up to the $1K higher level, to gain the best black coverage, the smoothest image transfer, and the highest clear motion rate. Even among the Samsungs, the same image compared on the 9000 vs the 8700 series was visibly improved on the 9000. Even blades of grass were more clear on the 9000 than the 8700. Color, is outstanding. Of course, it takes a little getting used to LCD vs Plasma. It's not a compromise that you win everywhere, as we all know. But the benefits of 4K, even on 1080p upconversion, are pretty striking on the right set.

More later!
    Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Nice Doug !! Looking forward to more updates and reviews/comparisons on stuff you've seen on your 1080 plasma vs the 4K unit.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Nice review!

If you can, try hooking it up to a computer and see how it works as a monitor. I'm more interested in 4K as a computer monitor than a TV.

Another advantage of the One Connect box is you only have to run one cable to the TV, wherever it ends up, if you have multiple sources going to the TV. Sure, not much of an issue for those who have a HT receiver with internal switching, but we are still in the minority. So, you could save money on multiple long HDMI cables, plus the need to run the wires through walls/basement.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
        Nice review!

If you can, try hooking it up to a computer and see how it works as a monitor. I'm more interested in 4K as a computer monitor than a TV..
        I second this.

Also would allow you to browse some of Youtube's native (and free!) 4k content FWIW
        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I wouldn't say that Netflix or any streaming service is temporary. Redray may likely stick around, Sony could make it so the only way to see their stuff in 4k is through their service which would suck.....

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

It's John's fault, he started me out looking for a new HP plasma when I believed the story that the sky was falling in, so to speak on Plasmas. I finally figured out that the high end plasma I wanted was not available anywhere. Once that happened, and during the process, I started checking 4K prices. Finally, I went to Bb to look, actually to look for the Plasma listed on their web site. well, yes, it was listed, but they didn't have any and haven't had any for a while! GRRRR. I saw the Samsung there. I also spoke to a Sony rep about the lower end Sony. First, I decided I would play with the lower end Sony 55. Granted, 4K and lower end in the same sentence is somewhat of a nomenclature, right? Maybe i used that word right there. I don't know, it sounds impressive anyway, haha.

Well, I could have got the more expensive larger plasma possibly initially when I first started looking over the internet only. Then those started selling out too I think, real fast. Anyway, I actually rang up the Sony 850XBR for less than $1500 including tax locally. Ok, first, I rang up the high end Samsung, well, I had it on the screen, 65" curved front with taxes, $3800. I chickened out. I decided that was just a bit to rich for my blood right now. So, i decided to get the Sony instead. Then since I couldn't pick it up right away, I found myself thinking a lot about the set, and how it compared to the 55" Samsung. There were a lot of things I knew the Samsung did very well, that probably outclassed the Sony. Some may argue differently. Well, everything is by application, right? Well, again, the curved front suited my location for a 55" very well. I was also very impressed with the overall video quality I saw on it. The added benefit, that helped seal the deal was the included USB drive with some actual 4K content included. Not a lot granted, but something. Sony's HD drive is $700.00 add on!

I won't be paying big extra bucks for a custom player at this point. I took advantage of getting the Samsung USB drive while I could, and I might add, that should plug into another Samsung if i add a 65" someday or larger...

The other thing I really REALLY disliked about the Sony had nothing to do with image quality. Those spindly looking LEGS on it. have you ever seen anything come off any cheaper looking than those things? Have you guys seen them? The Samsung base is very classy, stainless look, and sleek looking. The Sony legs look like things you'd stick in those little lincoln log sets, you know the sticks in the round wood disks? I'm just saying, to mee, that looks so cheesey. Plus, it is not very functional for a smaller table top than the set either. A large center base is suitable to any size table or stand. Nor is it suitable to turn the set on an angle toward a direction, shifting the base so you can see it better at an angle to one position. Granted, that may be more my own personal thing than most people's, but for me, it was a consideration.

Dan as far as comparing to plasma. I am not sure it's a fair comparison. I guess in a sense it is, but I can tell you that the plasma smokes any lcd for black levels, that's true enough. however, my 4K set is pretty darn film like in quality. I really love their processing on images, no jagged lines at all, It's just Smooth edges all the way! You cannot say that about every 4K set out there...
            Doug

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Oh yeah, the design choices on TV bases really burns me. Those little legs totally suck. It might look cool in the display room, but I know in my home they wont' cut it. Also, it seems like bases that allow the TV to swivel are pretty much gone. It used to be LG that made a small deal that their stand swiveled and I put it to the test a few times in some show rooms.

Nice to hear about your experience with the Samsung, that is a really nice looking set and up to now I wasn't considering curved, but I do like the Samsung box. I dont' think the model that I was looking at, the 7000 series has it. Oh and after the black Friday deals, the TV has gone back up in price.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• JohnA
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Lex
                It's John's fault,

Oh sure, blame me......

Congrats on the new set. :T

Like you, I more or less don't find having 3D capabilities in a TV as anything that is for me as a "must have", and instead see it is more of just a gimmick. While 3D can offer something worthwhile on a huge screen in a theater, due to it's much smaller size, you lose all that when you get in a home environment.

I have decided if I ever want to move up from my VT30 Panny plasma, or if it dies after my extended warranty runs out in about a year from now. That seeing as how I pretty much despise LED based sets for numerous reasons, I'll look into a OLED set, now that prices have dropped a lot on them. Although it seems like LG is now the only game in town for those, as for what I understand is due to the difficulty in the of making the panels without defects, Samsung has taken a breather on offering anymore in that segment.

And one other thing, no matter of the technology of any TV I buy in the future. I don't want anything in a &#*@^# curved screen set!

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JohnA
                  And one other thing, no matter of the technology of any TV I buy in the future. I don't want anything in a &#*@^# curved screen set!
                  Oh I don't know, if I can ever get something like a ~120"+ curved OLED "wall" I'd consider going curved. Otherwise, I tend to agree it's a silly gimmick at more typical consumer sizes of 50"-70".
                  Jason

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

If you guys saw my location on the TV, you'd understand why curved works so well for me there. But it's ok if you don't like them, I'm not sure I would in every circumstance, but for this need, it worked out very well for me, and you do not see the curve while viewing, there is zero distortion due to curving. But I won't try to talk anyone into liking it, if you don't, that's why they make straight sets. Oled prices I saw were still pretty high, and you don't get 4K resolution. That's not saying they are not fantastic, they very well may be the best set going right now. Maybe my next one will be Oled, maybe not. Right now I am plasma and LCD.

I think the price I saw on a curved 100" Oled, was 100,000.00 Seriously. lol.
                    Doug

Comment

• JohnA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Actually a 55" LG OLED set is not so bad at about $3,500, which is about 1/2 the price of what they were when they first came out about a year ago, and which is also less than Pioneer Kuro's used to cost at first, so prices on them are definitely coming down. Now yeah, to 65' LG get a 4K OLED, it is a whole bunch more, as in the price range of $10,000! Heck the first 1080P plasma, the tunerless Pioneer FHD1, was $10K when it first came out. So I figure if my current 55" Panasonic VT30 plasma dies out anytime after the next year and a half when my extended service plan expires, that then a 4K OLED in the 50"-55" sizes will likely be around $3000 or less. And maybe even something in the 60" size will get down to roughly close to that price range somewhere in the next 1 1/2-2 years as well. OLED so far, is the only TV technology that equals and in many cases even surpasses the picture quality and black levels of the best plasmas ever made.

I will wait for OLED to get more affordable before I would spend any more than $400 for any LCD based set, no matter it if that LCD set is 4K or not. I do not like LCD based sets at all in anything much larger than 30", for numerous reasons. Even for PC use for anything that does not require the use of a widescreen monitor, I still treasure using my old 21" ViewSonic CRT monitor instead.

Honestly, anything in 100" or more when not using a projector setup, and using any kind of direct view set instead like Plasma, LCD, or OLED. Costs a boatload of money, and I'd say it pretty much always will, because making direct view panels of that size with very few flaws that will be acceptable for use, it is very hard and expensive to do. Panasonic used to offer a industrial use plasma, that I think was 108", and it was also over $100K. So I think direct view sets that are in the 100" and slightly bigger, will probably be in the $100k range for quite a while yet. One other reason for that, is when they make something in the 100" or larger sizes, it will most like also be their "statement" and most premium display that they offer.

What gets me, is plasma used to cost more than LCD based sets, then it started to turn around and higher end LCD sets started to cost more than plasmas. Now I have no real idea how hard either is to actually make panels for, but my guess it is easier and also cheaper to make a LCD panel than it is to make a plasma panel. And thus when the selling prices on the better made LCD sets started to creep up to more than a plasma set, that the bean counters in the TV manufactures decided to go with what was easier and also cheaper to make over the plasma technology. And I'm also quite sure that the lighter weight of a LCD set over a plasma was a strong selling point to many TV buyers as well. And then for the tree huggers of the world, there was also the issue of less power consumption with LCD.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yea I imagine that LCD prices could be much lower than they are.

I'm going to end up with a 4k lcd likely in the next couple months, I wish I could wait for OLED but my DLP rptv is on its way out, could just be a bulb but bulb prices haven't changed at all and I'd rather not out another bulb in this thing lol.

I'm still greatly considering the 70" Vizio P series.

Comment

• JohnA
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

Yeah Vizio offers some good sets at some really good pricing, unlike some others who seem to try and ask for the highest possible price that a few are willing to pay.

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I'm looking forward to 8K UHD (4320p)... :righton:
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

8k isn't going to happen in consumer sets for a long time because honestly it doesn't make sense in things under 100" or so. Heck 4k under 65" honestly isn't going to make a huge difference unless you sit on top of the tv.

I agree about the Vizio, everyone seems to have dropped their prices now to something similar to the P series but P most are still edge lit or the lower end sets where as the Vizio has a huge led array and such, granted they aren't perfect but there seems to be decent value still. Who knows maybe I'll grab a new projector or something and wait for OLED.

Projectors have been pretty disappointing the last couple years though, no true 4k Projectors hardly at all.

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                8k isn't going to happen in consumer sets for a long time because honestly it doesn't make sense in things under 100" or so. Heck 4k under 65" honestly isn't going to make a huge difference unless you sit on top of the tv.

I agree about the Vizio, everyone seems to have dropped their prices now to something similar to the P series but P most are still edge lit or the lower end sets where as the Vizio has a huge led array and such, granted they aren't perfect but there seems to be decent value still. Who knows maybe I'll grab a new projector or something and wait for OLED.

Projectors have been pretty disappointing the last couple years though, no true 4k Projectors hardly at all.
                                Economy of scale. Projectors are such a tiny slice of the pie there is little incentive to make affordable 4K (or even, arguably, more importantly, laser or LED light sources).

I have a projector but it's 720p (one highly rated for PQ at the time). I know there have been a number of improvements but I still quite like my PQ. What helps is I have a small (for a PJ) screen--16x9 64" diagonal. TV that size back then was 6 times the cost of the PJ (screen is home made) and I have no room for a bigger one. When I do change, I could go with a TV but I'll likely go with another PJ. I prefer the projected look to a through a "glass sheet" look. I'd love a 4K, 20,000 hour light source PJ. But it's far more likely I'll end up with a 1080p bulb-lit PJ. Cost of being on the margins of display types.

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

Wouldn't a curved screen make off axis viewing difficult??........Just a thought?

Comment

• JohnA
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2005

Considering how some people are not at all concerned about, or bothered by the poor off axis viewing issues of a LCD set, I'd guess quite a few of them will also most likely feel the same way about it with a curved screen.

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

The first thing I noticed that didn't look right off axis to me was cars in the Mecum Auto Auction. I had to go to center view to correct off axis issue when I really wanted to see a car right. But I am not critically viewing it off axis either. I am still bothered by a few things on LCD. But I like a few of the features of my higher end Samsung. I was not spending $3500 now on a set. In a few years, maybe. One of the things I am doing now, is saving precious hours on my 59" 1080p plasma screen. I don't run it NEAR as much as I used too, saving hours on it. How about that for an ulterior motive John? there's a point you can't snicker or fuss about, haha.
                                      Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

The way our living room is setup we don't have much opportunity for off axis viewing. With that said I did go look at an OLED TV the other day and mane the black levels and shadow details are astonishing! I can't wait for those to get cheaper.

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

4K Oled will be where it's at someday Dougie, if it makes it to 4K. I bet that would be a plasma slayer. I figure to use this Samsung 4K for at least 2 years, then re-evaluate. I am saving a lot of hours on my 1080p plasma now. So, my Samsung 4K LCD will extend the life of my Samsung plasma 59" too, a win win.
                                          Doug

Comment

• madmac
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
                                            4K Oled will be where it's at someday Dougie, if it makes it to 4K. I bet that would be a plasma slayer. I figure to use this Samsung 4K for at least 2 years, then re-evaluate. I am saving a lot of hours on my 1080p plasma now. So, my Samsung 4K LCD will extend the life of my Samsung plasma 59" too, a win win.
                                            You sound concerned about the longevity of your plasma Doug. What is the expected lifespan of a Plasma TV with 'normal' usage?. I've heard that they slowly degrade over time. Is this correct?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

4k OLED already exists, and LG is pushing it forward. They dropped their 55" OLED model to 3500 which used to be 8500 and before that I think it was 12k or something. This is all in the span of maybe 2 years? Honestly from what I saw at BestBuy I'd take a 1080p OLED over a 4K LCD but I'd need more than 55" and I can't spend 3500 lol. Maybe in another year or 2, I'm really leaning towards a projector and wait for OLED to drop into the 2k range, if I could get a 65-70" 1080p OLED I'd probably stretch my budget to 3500 but not for a 55".

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                                                You sound concerned about the longevity of your plasma Doug. What is the expected lifespan of a Plasma TV with 'normal' usage?. I've heard that they slowly degrade over time. Is this correct?
                                                They do degrade over time but not nearly as bad as they used to when they first came out.

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                  Office Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

4k OLED already exists, and LG is pushing it forward. They dropped their 55" OLED model to 3500 which used to be 8500 and before that I think it was 12k or something. This is all in the span of maybe 2 years? Honestly from what I saw at BestBuy I'd take a 1080p OLED over a 4K LCD but I'd need more than 55" and I can't spend 3500 lol. Maybe in another year or 2, I'm really leaning towards a projector and wait for OLED to drop into the 2k range, if I could get a 65-70" 1080p OLED I'd probably stretch my budget to 3500 but not for a 55".
                                                  I am amazed at how fast the price is dropping. I recall those tiny Sony OLED's for like 10K for like 10" 8O a few years ago. I never thought I'd see it drop to this 'reasonable' price.

I almost jumped on an LG thinking it was a misspriced OLED set, but it was just a different model in their 9000 series.

So basically I've found my price point, about $2k for an OLED 4k in a 55" size. I've seen a Samsung 4k boxing day price for about $1,300, which is very tempting right now.

As for plasma, they have a half life of X thousands of hours now and are much better than when they first came out. I was at some presentation years ago when the Pioneer rep was saying basically 10 years of constant use and then you'd have it half as bright. I might have the time from wrong. But the constant use was the ticket. Most people don't have it on all day 7 days a week. Maybe on weekends.
                                                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

Watching the OLED TV at bestbuy was just a completely different experience, this is why I could be ok with 1080p but honestly I expect 4k OLED to be in my range in the next year or 2.

Comment

• madmac
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2010

I just hope these OLED TV's have better color than the LED TV's I've seen at some of my friends and family's houses. Just awful.......almost unwatchable !

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

IMO, from what I saw on the short demo I was looking at OLED has better black levels, colors, and just about everything than a Plasma set does. I mean the picture was about the most realistic thing I've seen thus far. That's why I said even at 1080P it was a pretty awesome experience.

Comment

• Lex
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Apr 2001

I had heard 10,000 hours was expected life of a plasma display early on Dan. I expect those hours of usability didn't change that much over the life of plasma, as the technology didn't change that much. But I could be wrong. Dan, I am not overly concerned about plasma burnout, but I sure know I can't go out and buy a plasma replacement. So, conserving hours on my fantastic 1080p plasma isn't a bad thing any way I look at it. Enjoying some 4K now, in a location that opens up new entertainment experience for me isn't bad either... Is it perfect? no. We all know there are deficiencies of LCD and current 4K, vs POTENTIAL that exists either a year or two down the road, or at a price much steeper than what I paid for 55" top of line Samsung current product 4K performance. I don't know how that compares to all sets. Compared to Sony or Sharp, I thought my Samsung beat them on performance. It was more expensive though.

I will save my additional thoughts on Oled for another thread another day. Today, I'm in wait mode on Oled technology, and enjoying what I have.
                                                          Doug

Comment

• JohnA
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by madmac
                                                            The 1/2 life of a modern plasma panel works out to about 20 years of normal average viewing of around 4-6 hours a day. 1/2 life, is the point where you will really start to notice a brightness loss. However there is so many other things like capacitors and such that can fail on the various circuit boards, that I would not be at all concerned about ever hitting the 1/2 life point on the plasma panel itself.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Sep 2004

Got my first chance to compare OLED with some 4K LCDs and a rare Panasonic plasma still available for purchase.

Money no object? OLED at 1080p~=4K w/4K material>plasma>4K w/1080p material

If I were buying a TV today, I'd get a plasma for its greater size--otherwise I might spring for 55 inch FLAT OLED (did not care for curved screens, OLED or LCD, that I saw, but they weren't as unlikable as I expected). I think 4K, with better upconversion of 1080p material than I was able to see even after adjusting settings, would be a winner with a large projection screen. But in the 55-75 inch range of TVs I saw, the far better black levels of OLED, even at 1080p, made for a better PQ than the higher resolution.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

I agree completely, with how good the picture quality was on the OLED it was amazing how little I noticed the difference in resolution.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                  • Aug 2000

At the rate we watch TV my 50" plasma panel will probably outlast us, haha. Losing a circuit board or capacitor is a bigger concern. Hopefully that won't happen before OLEDs become cheaper. But then, we do our "critical" viewing on the projector anyway so a LCD would suit us fine for TV watching.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2004

I agree completely, with how good the picture quality was on the OLED it was amazing how little I noticed the difference in resolution.
                                                                    Well, if I recall correctly, ISF criteria for best PQ lists contrast ratio (black levels) as first in importance and resolution as fourth. Was certainly true when I shopped for my projector (in my price range, the 720p Sony I bought strongly supported the ISF position when compared to 1080p projectors at that time).

Comment

• Lex
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Apr 2001

Back to a bit of my Samsung review. I found an interesting feature. If you turn on a new source, like my 3D BD player, and I am watching TV. As soon as I turn on the BD player, the Samsung automatically switches control to the 3D BD player. This is a real cool feature, I mean I wouldn't be turning it on unless I was planning to use it. So it saves me going back to the remote to re-select a source. I like that.
                                                                      Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Yea the tv we got the kids last year does that as well.

Comment

• JohnA
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005
                                                                          • 2179

I'm pretty sure that is a feature of a HDMI 1.4 "ARC" connection, and not specifically a Samsung feature.

"

The basic ARC functionality, sending audio out of the TV, varies in potential and implementation. On one level, it can send audio from internal TV sources (like the HDTV tuner, or built-in web streaming apps).

On another level, it can send out the audio from other HDMI sources (presumably to a soundbar). In this instance, your TV becomes the central hub, with all sources plugged into it.

This would be the natural way most people, at least those without receivers or HDMI-switching soundbars, would have their systems set up anyway. Adding a soundbar would require no further setup than one new HDMI cable. The TV switches all the sources, and the audio for each one (BD player, cable box, etc), would get sent to a soundbar or HTIB."

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

Doug, I'm considering purchasing versions of this exact same TV, also 55", but non-curved. There's several levels of this same model, and I can't quite figure out the differences between them. The bottom level is only $1099, still 55", and getting great reviews, so I'm trying to figure out if the higher levels are worth it. (not thinking It looks like this is a great series of TV, regardless of which level.

Are you sure yours is LCD? The ones I've been looking at are LED.

How long is the cable from the One Connect Box to the TV? Did you say this is a component cable? That's weird...

I'm confused what the "Clear Motion Rate" is, compared to refresh rate. And are there user-adjustable modes for this? In the past, things like this were iffy, and made video look cartoonish.

I'm interested in the UHD pack you got. I guess it's just a pre-loaded hard drive that you connect via USB. Did you get the one with 5 movies, or the more expensive one with 10 movies? (including Forrest Gump) Did you buy it, or was it included with the TV? Does it have any benefit features, like access to more 4k movies in the future?
                                                                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 16075

#39

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2002
                                                                                • 4601

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Chris D
                                                                                I'm confused what the "Clear Motion Rate" is, compared to refresh rate. And are there user-adjustable modes for this? In the past, things like this were iffy, and made video look cartoonish.
                                                                                ?
                                                                                CMR is marketing. It's refresh X backlight flashes x processing speed. IE, bullshit.

When looking for your next TV to buy, it's easy to get confused with all the marketing terms. TV manufacturers often use higher numbers to advertise a TV's refresh rate, so you need to be careful not to get trapped in their marketing.

Comment

• Lex
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Apr 2001
                                                                                  • 27461

#41
                                                                                  Doug, I'm considering purchasing versions of this exact same TV, also 55", but non-curved. There's several levels of this same model, and I can't quite figure out the differences between them. The bottom level is only $1099, still 55", and getting great reviews, so I'm trying to figure out if the higher levels are worth it. (not thinking It looks like this is a great series of TV, regardless of which level.

Are you sure yours is LCD? The ones I've been looking at are LED.

How long is the cable from the One Connect Box to the TV? Did you say this is a component cable? That's weird...

I'm interested in the UHD pack you got. I guess it's just a pre-loaded hard drive that you connect via USB. Did you get the one with 5 movies, or the more expensive one with 10 movies? (including Forrest Gump) Did you buy it, or was it included with the TV? Does it have any benefit features, like access to more 4k movies in the future?
                                                                                  Mine does have Forrest Gump on it.

I looked at all 3 levels of sets Chris. I was considering getting the mid level and getting a 65" at first. I am still not sure I made the "right" decision, but where I put this set, it is the right TV for me. Did I make a prudent buying decision? That is debatable.

I got the USB media drive included. I think it normally carries an inflated price of 300-399.00 It's just a little 99 buck hard drive, is all it is! But it does happen to have a little 4K content on it. I looked at it as an extra, not really a deciding factor.

When I compared the image quality, I believe there were quality differences at the various price points. Maybe it is LED, not LCD. Crap, I don't know. I thought it was LCD, but it's whatever the 9000 series is Chris.

If I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't have spent so much on it. $2500. But I got 24 months to pay it off, so I plopped 1K on the table, and am paying on it monthly at this point. It's not that bad, paying 75 bucks a month or something. I think I have already paid about $170 extra on it, trying to get it down as quick as I can.

The cable from 1 connect box is not really all that long. You may as well say it's going to have to reside VERY close to the TV. Additionally, it is a custom connection. It is NOT component video. It includes a dongle to convert a proprietary video connection to component video, it has HDMI, Lan connectivity, and optical audio out. The advantage is, if they ever upgrade the electronics in a new box, you can buy a new box, and not upgrade the display. That's the marketability of the one connect. One connect is only on the 9000 series I believe. so you have to get top model to get that. It may not be that much a factor, honestly. From what I saw, there were visible differences in the screens, I don't know if that was the increased refresh rate, which Kevin says is hocus pocus. There is no adjustment. You get what it has. It does have brightness, and backlighting adjustments.

The 4K content is pretty impressive. Also, the upconversion from BD to 4K is really impressive. IMO. 3D is pretty spectacular once you get it working right. I had issues at first, just dumb operator error. I have a few 3D movies now, I need to watch Spiderman I (the new II movie series). I watched II, I wasn't all that hip on that movie. There is a 3D content icon. I don't know where it gets that at. There's an HBO button, that if you subscribe, you can create an HBO hot connection over your wired/wireless internet connection, without having to log in. It's setup at PC level, once, you enter a code, then it's working...

1080P content does look better to me than just 1080p on my 9000 series. The store I got it from could not show me all this, they don't even hook the movie USB drive up at the store. A lower line TV will not come with one connect and it definitely won't come with the USB drive, in fact, I don't know if the USB drive is compatible with anything except the 9000 series. You'd have to check that.

I found that it both creates some new wiring challenges, and some new opportunities. Example. I run all my HDMI sources from my rack to 1 HDMI switch, I then run the output from that switch to the input of a second one just across the walkway. (it's a cable guy mess, I know a family wouldn't like it) The second HDMI switch is sitting on top of the one connect on a little small table behind my TV. There, I interface a TiVo unit, and a 3D BD player to the one connect via the second HDMI switcher. I also then output a second HDMI signal to my 59" Plasma. LOL.

So, I have Directv and TiVo cable connections available on both TVs, as well as HDDVD and BD from my main rack available on both TVs. The 3D BD player is also available to both TVs, then the optical audio output from 1 connect goes back across the walkway at my rug edge to my Lexicon for input as an auxiliary audio input. Thus, I get the audio back to my AV system from all components hooked into the 1 connect. Yes, it's a little complex, but it works well even if a little annoying to figure out. There was one gotcha, on audio, I have to use TV audio for, that may be local over the air channels. I forget now. But it's not a huge thing.

I hope that helps.
                                                                                  Doug

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 2202

#42
                                                                                    ALL LED TVs are LCD panels. LEDs are the backlight, instead of the CCFL tubes that used to be on all LCD TVs (and are still found on lower end models). Marketing bull has convinced people that LED is a different kind of technology altogether. It's not.

My living room lamp used to have incandescent bulbs, then CCFL bulbs and now LED bulbs. Still a lamp. Same for LCD TV panels.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 16706

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                                      ALL LED TVs are LCD panels. LEDs are the backlight, instead of the CCFL tubes that used to be on all LCD TVs (and are still found on lower end models). Marketing bull has convinced people that LED is a different kind of technology altogether. It's not.

My living room lamp used to have incandescent bulbs, then CCFL bulbs and now LED bulbs. Still a lamp. Same for LCD TV panels.
                                                                                      I see I'm not the only one here irritated by this :lol:
                                                                                      Jason

Comment

• Lex
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Apr 2001
                                                                                        • 27461

#44
                                                                                        You's guys get your shorts in a bunch over about anything nowadays, haha.

I'm relaxing in my age group. Mellowing. It's not worth worrying, I say enjoy, enjoy enjoy! :-)
                                                                                        Doug

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                                          • 16877

#45
                                                                                          Thanks for the info, Doug. There's a promo on the TV's through tomorrow. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger or wait.
                                                                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"