X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeffKnob
    • Mar 2004

Upconversion

I have a Denon DVD-1920 and recently got a Samsung HL-S5087W 50" HDTV. The dvd player offers upsampling to 720p or 1080i using the Faroudja chip as long as it is connected through HDMI. I currently have only component cables. Would there be good improvement if I were to use the HDMI cables and let the Denon do the conversion versus the Samsung TV? I have heard the Faroudja chip is great but I have also heard Samsung does a great job as well.
    :T 50" Panasonic Plasma
    Onkyo TX-NR708
    PS3 for Bluray
    Paradigm Focus for the 4 corners
    Paradigm CC-270
    2 Dayton RSS390HF 15" subwoofers
    HTPC
  • joetama
    • May 2006

I would give the HDMI a try. There will prolly be little if no improvement, but it could be a lot different....
    -Joe

Comment

• nikos
      • Dec 2005

Yes there is going to be tremendous difference.

Your answer lies right in the manual.

It should tell you what the highest resolution you get from component Vs 720p to 1080i with HDMI.

I have an Oppo Digital that uses the Faroudja chip and the result is amazing to my Panasonic PT-AE900U projector

I don't know what your TV's native resolution is, but if tis 720p or higher you'll see a big improvement over 480p. Night and day!

Does your TV upsample? if it upsamples the source to 720p/1080i then I don't know what your difference will be between the Faroudja chip and what Samsung uses.

It's my understanding that Meridian's Faroudja is the undisputed champ...

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

Nikos
      Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
        • May 2004

A current HT magazine just did a dvd comparison of popular models up to $5000.00. There were about 30 players rated. Out of all of them only 2 showed improvement using the HDMI. It was the Denon 1920 and the $3500 Krell. The Denon rated the best banf for the buck by far. The closest DVD player to rate better was $1300. The Denon 1920 was also very good in cd audio.
        Try the HDMI,
        Steel

Comment

• alpina
          • Nov 2005

hi steel,

did they compare the pioneer 989 also and if so, how did it fare?

cheers,

julie
          My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

I would definitely give the HDMI a chance, also ensure all your settings via HDMI have been calibrated prior to evaluation. I've tried upconversion via my Pioneer Elite AVi 59 DVD player and the PQ improvement was significant utilizing a Panasonic AE900U. I also tried HDMI via my H20 DTV high def receiver and there was no improvement over component. So you will really need to judge for yourself, just see if you can borrow a nice HDMI cable for testing. Until a standard has been established for HDMI, I believe the PQ will be equipment dependent. Just my quick thoughts, of course YMMV.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• JeffKnob
              • Mar 2004

Well that is good enough for me. I actually ordered 2 HDMI cables on ebay for really cheap. I will see how they are. If they end up being crap, I will just have to invest in some better cables.
              Onkyo TX-NR708
              PS3 for Bluray
              Paradigm CC-270
              HTPC

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                • May 2004

Originally posted by alpina
                hi steel,

did they compare the pioneer 989 also and if so, how did it fare?

cheers,

julie
                Hi Julie,
                I will have to take a look later and see. It was The Perfect Vision by the way, I have a copy at home.
                cheers,
                Jeremy

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                  • May 2004

Hi Julie,
                  Sorry, no Pioneer 989 review.
                  Jeremy

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by LikeCoiledSteel
                    A current HT magazine just did a dvd comparison of popular models up to $5000.00. There were about 30 players rated. Out of all of them only 2 showed improvement using the HDMI. It was the Denon 1920 and the $3500 Krell. The Denon rated the best banf for the buck by far. The closest DVD player to rate better was $1300. The Denon 1920 was also very good in cd audio.
                    Try the HDMI,
                    Steel
                    i prefer the 2910 but would other wise agree
                    my only complaints are aesthetics and slow load, tracking and disk eject

Comment

• ktaillon
                      • Jun 2004

I currently have the AE-900 projector with a Samsung HD-941 DVD player connected via the HDMI. Changing the resolution from 480p to 720p or 1080i on the DVD player shows no noticable difference through the projector. I was hoping for a little improvement.

Is this the quality of the DVD player, or should I say, that I would need a better DVD player to make a difference?

Also, I thought that the AE-900 had a pretty good scaler.

Comment

• JeffKnob
                        • Mar 2004

Well, I got my HDMI cables now. They were about $15 for two with shipping off of ebay through monoprice.com. I don't notice a difference when viewing my SA 8300HD but there is a difference with my Denon DVD-1920. I have to admit it isn't a huge difference. The picture does look very close to that of movies on the HD HBO channel. My next step is to find a cheap SVGA cable to connect my computer to the TV. It has a SVGA input that can do 1920x1080. I am curious to see what it is like to browse the internet on a 50" monitor.
                        Onkyo TX-NR708
                        PS3 for Bluray
                        Paradigm CC-270
                        HTPC

Comment

• Cotrel
                          • Feb 2004

HDMI Problem

Have a problem getting my new Denon 2910 to interface via HDMI with my Toshiba 56MX195. I have no problem at all with the HDMI interface between my DISH HD reciever and the Toshiba. But absolutely nothing with the Denon. My serial number does not call for the update. My HDMI cables are good. Anyone have any idea's? ..Jack

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Jack, maybe a bit more information on your setup--cable length, whether you're running through a switcher or a receiver/processor, etc.

My Denon 3910 works fine on HDMI to my projector w/ a 30' cable. But I tried to add a Gefen HDMI switcher, and got intermittent video flicker. Gefen says they've found Denon HDMI outputs to be just a bit weaker, so the extra cabling and connections of the switcher went just over the limit where the strength wasn't enough.
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"