• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Wow!!...ARGH....Really??

8O

Just thought I would plop a little note in here about the other day I was at my brother's house and viewed his new Samsung LED 65" flat panel TV (not sure of the model#). Going there, I was somewhat expected to be blown away by it's presentation but nothing could have been farther from the truth!.

Right from the get go something was wrong........terribly wrong!! :M. Now I understand why some members here refer to the 'Cartoon effect' of these LED monitors. Sheesh!!. It was actually uncomfortable to watch this set. I got nauseated and somewhat bothered!. There was something really wrong here. Now, being a good, nice brother I said nothing negative to my brother about his new acquisition but..... my.....my........that picture looked damn awful. EVERYTHING was wrong about it.......color big time.......contrast........sadly, he told me that he had tried to adjust it from something he got from the internet on how to adjust his particular set. OH MY!!.

The thing is that it is a 65" set, so it was BIG.........BIG time awful!!. 8O

My eyes were awash in a big mess of badness and wrongness!!.

Now, whether this set can be made to produce a correct picture is another matter altogether and I could have offered my brother to try but alas.....I was not in the mood to try. My eyes hurt too much. I just wanted to watch the hockey game to be honest. Thank god most of a hockey picture is white. At one point, there was a commercial where there was trees and grass and I nearly had a visual seizure!!. God help him is all I have to say.

I think my next set will be a Plasma :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

You should be able to get pretty much any modern set to look at least "nice" so I'd have to say it's his settings. The biggest issues with LED/LCD sets are their off axis performance, their poor handling of fast motion and/or frame interpolation (defeat-able) and with edge-lit sets (most of them) their uneven back-lighting/banding.

If it looked "cartoonish" that's pretty much all settings IMO.
    Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Sounds like someone had that stupid 120hz or 240hz refresh mode enabled. Some people leave it enabled all the time and it looks like crap.

Most local dimming LED sets are pretty good imo. I just helped my brother in law pick one out and it looks really good. Was an LG LC605400 so not the highest model but it does have localized LED back lighting which makes the image look more uniform. Edge lit sets aren't bad either unless you're sensitive to a slightly less dim image in the center.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Yeah I could probably live with a local dimming set if I had to/there weren't any more plasmas (looking like a very real possibility in the not distant future). I'd still take issue with the off axis/motion problems (and the fact local dimming sets are more $$$) but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well I'll likely be going for an LCD in the next year. I'm waiting for Vizio to release their 4k S series LCD's which are local dimming and full 4k. I'll likely grab the 65" model which is around 2k. I really like the picture on their higher end sets and could easily live with it. Honestly in the way I always setup my living room we don't really have any off angle viewing positions.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I do. We've got a split level and frequently watch from ~3' up in our kitchen. The left to right is less of a concern but the motion problems certainly are.
            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I guess those problems don't bother me much as I've never really noticed them...

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hdale85
                I guess those problems don't bother me much as I've never really noticed them...
                I watch a lot of hockey. Players and especially pucks move very fast. Watching it on an LCD makes me want to punch the screen a bit :lol: And watching an LCD from an elevated height you get screwy colours and/or a washed out picture...meh.
                Jason

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by aud19
                  You should be able to get pretty much any modern set to look at least "nice" so I'd have to say it's his settings. The biggest issues with LED/LCD sets are their off axis performance, their poor handling of fast motion and/or frame interpolation (defeat-able) and with edge-lit sets (most of them) their uneven back-lighting/banding.

If it looked "cartoonish" that's pretty much all settings IMO.
                  Oh I agree!!. I could have worked on the set and got it to produce an acceptable picture I'm sure. My guess is my poor brother had the damn thing set to 'vivid'....with juiced up color and bloated contrast and brightness. To each his own I suppose........argh!!??
                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"