• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Issue with LG LED TV??

Hey all,

I was at a friends last night watching the hockey game on a 50 inch LG LED set and of course, everything about the picture was wrong! :E (Eye popping wrong!). I picked up the remote to fiddle with it and finally found the picture adjustment section of the menu, only to find out that (Apparently) the color, contrast, tint part was not there and not an option??!!. As far as I could tell, you could only choose certain picture 'styles' such as 'Normal' 'Cinema' etc. None of those options fixed what was wrong with the set's picture. Of course, the folks that own the set preferred the 'Normal' setting which offered the most 'POP' and incorrect color and overall picture. It would have nice to bring the contrast and color down to make the picture at least look somewhat acceptable but as far as I could tell, no such option existed.

I did not have access to the user manual so I might be mistaken in this statement. Does anyone here have any experience with LG LED sets??.
    Dan Madden :T
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I seem to remember they do have "different" ways of doing picture settings. I think they used to actually have a "wizard". Not sure if that's still the case.

That said you may have to go in to an "advanced" sub menu or something to adjust further. Also I know some TV's will block colour, brightness etc settings depending on the source (usually from PC's) or depending on the picture mode the set is on (Movies, Sports, Vivid etc). So they may be the culprit as well.

See if there's a "Custom" mode or if not the "Movie" mode is likely your best bet.
    Jason

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

'Movie' mode (Cinema in this case) was better but still far from acceptable picture wise. My owner friends still however preferred the Cartoon color... 'poppy',,,,, super bright effect of the standard mode. So far, I'm super NOT impressed by these LED sets. My brother's 65 inch Samsung picture was soooo wrong and now this 50" LG set honestly has not given me a warm and fuzzy opinion of this TV technology.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well that Samsung plasma is still out there...might want to wait for it to go on sale again though
        Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Hmm, I've got an LG so I'll take a look tonight.

I am certain you can go in and adjust the various levels, contrast, picture, sharpness, etc. I recall once I got into the contrast setting, the preset title changed to 'custom' and I did a bunch of adjustments.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Paul Wu
            Hmm, I've got an LG so I'll take a look tonight.

I am certain you can go in and adjust the various levels, contrast, picture, sharpness, etc. I recall once I got into the contrast setting, the preset title changed to 'custom' and I did a bunch of adjustments.
            Thanks Paul!. I would appreciate a little tutorial on how to access this custom section in the menus when you get the chance??.

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

On my LG set it is pretty easy to get to the picture settings. So it may be model dependent. My parents have a similar set and it is through pressing the 'settings' it might be 'menu' on other remotes. Then hit select the picture option and then I could easily scroll down to the presets, and then lower to the individual settings. When I changed one option, the preset changed to custom or user.

There are adjustments for backlight, contrast, brightness, sharpness, colour, tint, colour temp, then there is a submenu for more advance adjustments. Dynamic control, dynamic colour, clear white, skin colour, noise reduction, digital noise reduction, gamma, black level.

The thing is to click the setting or menu button, which is on the top left side of the d pad, instead of the 'quick menu' which there is only the basic preset picture settings.

Again, it could be model and age dependent as I got my set about a year and a bit ago. The fancier new sets, have this funky onscreen remote pointer thing. I thought would be a good idea, but I tried it once at Costco and I have shaky hands and I could see the pointer bounce around and this was when I was pretty close to the set. I don't know how well it would work when I would be sitting further away in my chair.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Thanks Paul!. I'll have another look nest time I'm there. However, If my friends like bad color and contrast 'pop' then I guess I'll leave it alone. These sets are VERY difficult to watch to be honest.

I still contend that the manufacturers of these sets should produce their sets with a industry standard, correct picture out of the box. Then after that, if people want it to look ridiculous then they can pump up all these color and contrast settings if they wish. I can't understand why and how a $2K set has such an awful picture out of the box!!?.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well that's not how it works, they have to make them stand out on the wall of displays at TV stores. If they all looked the same it would be a lot harder to sell displays and frankly it's their set they are allowed to make it look how they want. Generally most have a pretty nice setting that is labeled theater or something like that, while Vivid is the one that is auto selected for display.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
                    Well that's not how it works, they have to make them stand out on the wall of displays at TV stores. If they all looked the same it would be a lot harder to sell displays and frankly it's their set they are allowed to make it look how they want. Generally most have a pretty nice setting that is labeled theater or something like that, while Vivid is the one that is auto selected for display.
                    Well that's just HORRIBLE!!. I've heard that theory before but why in hell's bells would anybody be attracted to such a WRONG picture??!!. Just go to your average bar and see the sports broadcast pictures that are on their screens. Blazing, florescent, electric greens and burning red jerseys!!. But then again, I just proved that because my friends like the crappy picture as it is on their LG display. SAD!!.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

When they are in the store and next to each other they don't look that wrong.....And projectors and what not in sports bars are a terrible example. They are designed to be viewed from long distances in medium light and generally don't care much abotu color accuracy but more about brightness.

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

I just tell people that buy these new TV's to adjust them (this is not rocket science!) so that things look real. The American flag should look JUST the way it does in real life.....grass (This is a big one!) should look like the grass you see in your front lawn. Yellows and greens seem to be the biggest problems with these sets.

I have made minor adjustments to my set many times over the years. It's kind of like speaker placement in many ways. We fiddle with them to get the best, most realistic sound and sound stage by these minor adjustments.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Actually generally speaking red is what's usually way off on most sets. But it can also make other colors look off as well.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"