X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Lamp for Sony RPTV

Well folks, it looks like I'm cruzin' quickly into getting a new lamp for my Sony SXRD RPTV!. The picture has started to fluctuate in brightness while watching it. The timing is about right because it's been many years since I last changed it.

Question though, The manual states to go into the setup menu to inform the unit that the light has been replaced. I wonder what that's for and the significance of this step??.
    Dan Madden :T
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I think it has a safety cut off when it gets close to like 4-5k hours? It cuts the lamp as it's pretty dang close to dead for sure and could potentially blow up and damage other internals.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Makes sense Hdale85.....I must say, the picture is getting quite dark now. Interesting what I found on line........

Two on line retailers are selling the lamp w/ housing for $115.00 with 20 bucks shipping.
      Stumbled across Amazon.ca and the lamp is $49 bucks and 8 bucks shipping??!!..........Hummmm???.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

Canadian dollars?
        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Going to give a word of caution, make sure you get the same one as the OEM lamp as the aftermarket ones that claim to be compatible look like ass. I gave my old SXRD to my brother in law when the bulb blew and he bought one of those 115 dollar bulbs and the black levels were never as good as the original bulb and the colors always looked a bit off to me.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Most of the off-brand bulbs that are cheaper are just that...built with cheaper parts and either don't look as good, or normally last less than half the life of the original bulbs. I would definitely (in this case) recommend only getting OEM bulbs for your TV. You'll pay more but get the same length of time and should get the same quality picture (albeit brighter) as when you bought it new.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Well....I bought the Amazon bulb. I will let you all know how it works out picture and time longevity wise (Currently delivery in transit). I think that because of the price, it's probably a generic bulb but remember this......you can buy 'generic' aspirin too and it's basically the SAME thing as the original thing!!. Ordering from Amazon gave me the peace of mind to know that if there is a problem with the product, I could likely return it no problem.

Another thing is this.......My TV is now 'old' technology and sooner or later if something more major goes wrong with it, I am likely just going to replace it with a newer LED model right??!!. There's no point in pumping big dollars into this set at this point.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by impala454
                Canadian dollars?
                Yes......

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by impala454
                  Canadian dollars?
                  Yes......

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

I just had thought maybe you were accidentally comparing US to Canadian dollars or something.
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                      Well....I bought the Amazon bulb. I will let you all know how it works out picture and time longevity wise (Currently delivery in transit). I think that because of the price, it's probably a generic bulb but remember this......you can buy 'generic' aspirin too and it's basically the SAME thing as the original thing!!. Ordering from Amazon gave me the peace of mind to know that if there is a problem with the product, I could likely return it no problem.

Another thing is this.......My TV is now 'old' technology and sooner or later if something more major goes wrong with it, I am likely just going to replace it with a newer LED model right??!!. There's no point in pumping big dollars into this set at this point.
                      Well I told you my experience with the generic bulb from Amazon, so good luck! The picture is definitely not anything close to what it used to be though.

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

The FDA regulates generic drugs and requires them to be identical to the original. Somehow I doubt off-brand electronics have such strict guidelines.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

I see where Dan's coming from though. $50 is a reasonable amount to "prolong the life" of his current set. Once you start approaching that $200 territory, IMO that's a pretty nice down payment on a new TV :lol:
                          Jason

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

True that. Just depends on how many more payments you gotta make

My Sammy DLP now has 7 years on the original bulb. I think I'll replace it for ~$100-150 to keep it going.

Sheesh it's almost like a car. But maintenance is almost always cheaper than new.
                            -Chuck

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
                              Well I told you my experience with the generic bulb from Amazon, so good luck! The picture is definitely not anything close to what it used to be though.
                              Look at it this way, if the bulb does not work properly or produce a proper picture, I can return it to Amazon. Also, Amazon allows people that have bought this bulb to review it and there is not one bad review about this bulb. I'm not even sure that it's not an OEM bulb. I honestly am not worried.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I don't think you could return a bulb if you've used it. And I'm not sure those people making the reviews are quite as picky about video quality as us.

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                  I don't think you could return a bulb if you've used it. And I'm not sure those people making the reviews are quite as picky about video quality as us.
                                  If the bulb is defective, I could most certainly return it to Amazon!!. The only way to know that is to install it right??. I should be receiving it shortly and I'll let you all know how it turns out. The last time I changed the bulb I was utterly shocked at how much better the picture was.....basically to a like new set!. These bulbs slowly lose their luminescence over time sadly.......kinda' like the plasma effect.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

I think the only thing that would qualify as defective for a lamp is if it didn't turn on at all. I really doubt they are going to take it back if it's used because you don't like the colors and what not. Hopefully the generic bulbs are better now? IMO the bulb are way too bright when brand new. I have a DLP so I understand the before/after effects lol. Good luck though!

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

Update!!!!.......Installed the bulb....turned on the set and the bulb immediately exploded inside the set, ripping out the internals!!. As they say in french......"Bonjour la Visite" !!!. I can't return the lamp because it disintegrated in the explosion!!.

Hehehe......just kidding.....haven't received the lamp yet!!. Hehe!!

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

We had that happen with a cheap bulb to one of our installers. Replaced it in the projector, closed it up, turned it on. Exploded and sent shards of glass out the exhaust. Required 6 stitches on his hand. Now we don't install bulbs for customers unless we sell them and they're oem.

Kevin

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

FWIW, when I replaced my Panny PJ lamp, I did a lot of research. I can't remember the exact numbers, but if I remember right, a full blown new OEM replacement was something like $400. I found some really cheap versions for like $100. I think I ended up ordering one for $200+ that looked as legit as possible, and I think it was from Amazon. When I installed it, it was indeed brighter then the original at the point that it died. But it did not seem to be as bright as the original when it was new, from what I had remembered. (of course, this is highly subjective, as it was separated by a few years) It also has this occasional barely perceptible flicker. So next time, I think I'll be going strictly OEM as well, although the cost is much higher.
                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2010

Ok guys.......THANKS!!.......Now you all have me all worried!!. Especially Kevin!!!.......I was only kidding about the exploding bulb thing!!.........you didn't have to turn it into a potential reality!!!.......ACK!!!!.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2002

Wasn't trying to scare you! Just make sure you use the remote to turn i on...

Kevin D.

Comment

• impala454
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                                This made me literally lol

Good luck w/the bulb Dan. My old Samsung DLP will probably need one soon. I think the OEM bulb is like $120 which to me would be worth it to keep that thing going.
                                                -Chuck

Comment

• madmac
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2010

Ok folks.......hold your breath.....just received it now!! (On a Sunday???.....Odd??). Looks exactly the same as the original..... I installed it......god, that security door to hold back the UV radiation is annoying on the Sony sets. It Took a flashlight and a bit of time to jockey it properly back into place. Will fire it up shortly and advise on the results........and or......consequences!!. ACK!!??

Comment

• madmac
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2010

Fired up the TV yesterday afternoon and the results are good! (No explosions!!) Brighter, clearer picture with more vivid color saturation and better blacks. So right now, the results are very good (So far anyway!). It's interesting however how a new bulb can produce a sharper, clearer picture??. I understand color and brightness.....but sharper??....Hummm??.

There was a problem developing before that, that I thought might go away when I changed the bulb but sadly, it's still there. When I first turn on the set, for the first 10 mins or so, there is a periodic flickering in the brightness output that I originally thought could be caused by the tired light in the set, but now I'm thinking it's the 'automatic Iris' feature in the set that could be the cause. The Auto iris is in there to adjust, improve and constantly adjust the contrast ratio of this LCoS set. This feature is obviously malfunctioning. I goes away quite quickly however and thank god for that, because I would not be able to tolerate it if it happened constantly. Other than that, I have a 'like new' set now.

On another note, the set has a 'change bulb' light indicator on the front panel and having had to change the bulb 3 times now since I've had the set, NOT ONCE has this indicator ever lite up!. I assume it has something to do with the feature by which when the bulb is replaced, you are supposed to go into the menu and set the 'change bulb' secton inside the menus. This indicates to me that the 'expected' life of the bulbs are not being realized.......including the original OEM one that came with the TV. All of them have lasted many years though (4-5 years on average).

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                                      Or your closest available kid/spouse/apprentice/padawan/nemesis.
                                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• kmak
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Dec 2002

Hi Guys,
                                                        My '06 42" Sony Grand Wega gave up its bulb last week. I used air miles points to get a 42" LED LG for nothing. It's only a master bedroom TV. I handed the old set to my brother for his garage. I sent him the link so he can order the proper bulb, and it's $120'ish plus shipping in Canadian dollars. I'm sure it'll serve him well.
                                                        Ken

Comment

• madmac
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2010

You can do better than that price wise!. Try amazon.ca.......I bought a generic bulb there for $49 bucks and it works perfectly. Now that it has settled in for a few weeks, my color saturation and clarity has improved dramatically with it.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"