X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Largest screen possible

Here is my thinking along with setting up a larger than life theater not mesure in the number of seat but rather in screen size and number of channel here is my thinking

11.2 Channel using Audyssey DSX and DTS NeoX (soon)

I want a screen that is 15 feet wide (2.35:1) do you think that the JVC RS35U would be sufficient or do I need an other projector 8O
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

That'd be cool. Yes, without knowing details, I'm thinking the RS35U would be able to do a 15' wide screen, but that sure is getting big. Of course, I am one of the proponents for the "bigger the better" with screens.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

I have a 180" 16X 9 screen (13' wide) and I also like the immersive nature of a bigger screen. :T
      I think that the JVC RS35U would work, but with 900 ANSI lumens you would definitely need FULL light control in the room.

Also your seating distance would be a consideration with a screen that big, because if say you have close seating (>7' away) then viewers are going to have to turn their heads to take in the whole screen's width.

If you can, get ahold of the JVC RS35U first and then shine it on the wall at various sizes, with different seating distances (if your room offers that kind of flexibility) to see how well it works out visually with real movie input and the real projector.

From my perspective, sweeping, epic 2.35:1 movies look great when blown up big in HD, but it can actually be shocking to see commercial TV ads blown up so big! 8O

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Like I always say to anybody that asks my advice on HDTV's, always get the biggest you can afford. You'll be happy you did!!!. Also, with a 15 foot screen, you can also do convincing 3D as well. I've aways said that my next set would be a projector!!. I'm jealous !!
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Due to room constraints of my dedicated theater, I am pretty much restricted to a 7 foot wide screen. If the room was wider, believe me, the screen would be bigger. Much bigger. But I am pretty happy with my setup as I sit about 13 feet from the screen and things look pretty big at that distance.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

@ George....Ohh poor you!! Only 7 feet !!??. Well, compared with my paltry 60 inch monitor you'll just have to get by !!! Hehehe.

Ps....I don't know what I was saying about the 3D thing above because thats a whole different monitor and technology!!. 3D is overrated anyway.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Fine philosophy as long as screen size does not preclude reasonable placement of reasonable speakers.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

I've wall mounted a home made 64 inch 16:9 screen in a space that could accommodate a larger screen but, in keeping with Kal's observation, I decided to privilege speaker placement over ideal screen position (acoustically transparent screen is not an option in my small room). It was important to me to keep the tweeters in each of my three front speakers as close to the same level as possible, even if that meant compromising on the viewing area and position.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Absolutely and of course!!. Proper speaker placement and setup trumps screen size for sure. What I meant to say is to get the biggest TV you can afford that fits in your flibbin' room and works with your audio setup!!. Hehehe!!.

I my case, I could do a little bigger than my 60 inch but not by much.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

I am thinking Screen Innovations and the Black Diamond Screen that way no worries about light
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"