X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Legairre
    • Jan 2002

FP seating distance questions?

I'm planning on getting a front projector after Christmas with a 16:9 106" diagonal screen. Everyone always talks about sitting 1.5 times screen width.

My questions are:

1. When saying 1.5 times screen width are we talking about the diagonal width or the horizontal width of the screen.

2. When you calculate the seating distance at 1.5 times screen width are you talking about the front of you sofa or chair OR the actual distance to you eyes when seated(probably 2 ft back from the front edge of the sofa or chair when seated)

Thanks
    Legairre
    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater
  • Energeezer
    • Sep 2002

1.5X screen width means 1.5X screen width not diag.
    You should place your seats last if possible. This is a very subjective subject and your results will vary depending on the type of PJ (CRT, LCD, DLP etc) and its sharpness and resolution capability as well as your personal taste and the source you are using. Its no different than going to the theater. Some people like the front row and some like the back.
    If possible finalize your seating after all else is in place.
    Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
    The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Pat
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

It's all about the angle of view...basically how much of the screen fills your field of vision.

Check out this viewing distance calculator

1. When saying 1.5 times screen width are we talking about the diagonal width or the horizontal width of the screen
      horizontal width
      2. When you calculate the seating distance at 1.5 times screen width are you talking about the front of you sofa or chair OR the actual distance to you eyes when seated(probably 2 ft back from the front edge of the sofa or chair when seated)
      actual distance to you eyes when seated

Pat's Page
      Pat's Page

Comment

• Legairre
        • Jan 2002

Guy,
        Thanks for the responses. Both of you provided information I was looking for. Thanks for the help. Now I know the proper way to measure my viewing distance.
        "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
        Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"