X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

JVC HD2K demoed

JVC reps dropped by work and showed us their new oh-so-spiffy PJ today.

PJ is a full hidef (1920x1080) DILA with 500 lumens and 2000:1 CR. Projector "head" has only a DVI input which accepts only 1080p @ 50 or 60Hz. Is intended to be packaged with an offboard faroudjia scaler/input box with the usual suspect connnectors.

They brought just the projector, no scaler/outboard box.

Mini ATX (Shuttle?) PC with a Radeon 9600SE, 2.2-2.4 P4, outputting 1920x1080 60Hz, 10 meter Extron DVI cable to the PJ.

Screen is a 1 gain beaded (not sure of the mfr/model, can maybe find out tomorrow), room is our 3d projection test room, very good light control and treatment for ambient absorption. Also tried our higher gain 3d screen briefly, but the not-so-micro perf made me go "ugh, retract it NOW!". Image was about 10' wide (screen is MUCH larger).

Media: Series of 1920x1080 jpegs from an Extron shootout demo file off the hard drive, WM9 HD off hard drive of a John Woo directed BMW spot from the WM9 microsoft HD site, first 5 minutes of Matrix Revolutions (I had picked it up at lunch) and first 15 minutes of Finding Nemo. DVD playback was through PowerDVD which ATI bundles with the card drivers.

Color - yellows/oranges on this unit are really nice, a lot better than my 20 HD (which is fairly good on color IMO). THere was one of the slides with a gold chromed exhaust system that looked really good, better than I've seen before. And color overall on the unit was really really nice. Although this iss the same lamp as the SX21, they say the color has been worked on and immproved. I have not seen an SX21, but I have seen a 150CLU, and I was impressed very much by this new unit. Nemo looks pretty nice on my setup, but this was severely better, a fair bit more vivid, but the, I don't know, purity(?) of the colors was better. Just MORE colors I guess. More real.

Screen door - none. When pressed, the reps admitted they had forgotten to put pixels in this unit and it was just one continuous image. OK seriously, with a 10' wide (not diagonal) immage, pixels were invisible on many colors/parts of the image beyond about 1', and on any portion over 3'. And at 1', you could pretty much only make out the pixels as they were rectangles of different color, NOT because there were visible lines between them. Tile with no grout. For comparison, the panasonic 7600 at 30-40% smaller image size had far more noticeable SD at greater distances (2-3X).

Brightness - Remembering I have a 20HD/Highpower setup, clockinng ina t somewhere around 800-90 ftL after calibration, yet I have to say I would be fine with the brightness of this image at this size (but I would be very nostalgic for my eye-searing lumen level and would certainly pay more for the same unit at double or triple the output). It was missing the punch I am used to, but under the light control we had, it had easily the same impact as my friend's new HS20 on his 109" diagonal highpower. I think anyone who isn't addicted to high light levels would certainly be happy with this unit on a unity gain screen. And with a high gain screen, I think nearly everyone here would be happy with it. No question in my mind they are getting the full 500 quoted lumens out of it if not a bit more. For the minute we had the high gain 3D screen down, it showed it would pair really nicely with a highpower or silverstar.

Black level - pretty darn good. But then I have a "low" contrast light cannon with a high gain screen, so I am neither experienced nor demanding in this area. Seriously, though, black level is an issue for us as we use PJs not just for theater type applications, but in our special effects where we often don't want the park guest to even consider they are looking at a projection, so low black levels are important to us. The level on the HD2K is very good. Certainly out of LCD and older DILA territory and into good DLP class.

Shadow detail - only really have the short matrix segment for evaluating that, but looked very, very nice to me. Actually, strike that. 1-2 of the extron slides were test patterns, one of greyscale. It does this beautifully. Really really beautifully.

Sharpness - there was also a slide of test at various resolutions. I have not ever seen projected text look this good at simultaneous multiple font sizes. Completely readable and looking like a nice printed page at all sizes. Those of you familiar with this series of JPEGs maybe know if they can be posted for reference. On the WM9 segment, detail was beautiful.

Panning/artifact stuff - since they were using just the 9600SE to do all the scaling with no third party stuff, gotta think the only bad thing I was was due to that. On the slow pans at the beginning of Nemo, there were some pretty minor stutters. Did NOT see evidence of it on the WM9 material streamed from disk which had a lot more demanding pans and detail level, so I am thinking this is powerDVD's fault. On the WM9, I did not notice artifacts of any kind at any point. I was generally standing between 8 and 12 feet away. Or sitting 5 feet from the screen.

Anyway, I'm skipping lunch from now until I have saved enough for one of these.

Also saw a demo of a pretty nifty no-glasses 3D technology today. Will post a separate thread on that later. All in all, a GOOD day to go to work.

BB
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Gee, Brandon, I really envy you. Heck, you get to see all the great new stuff. On the JVC, were blacks BLACK ? And was the fan noisy or have they fixed this ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Duders!

Brandon...
      tell me if you are comparing it to a 20HD...how much is this JVC projector?

Merci buckets!

Bam!
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        Gee, Brandon, I really envy you. Heck, you get to see all the great new stuff. On the JVC, were blacks BLACK ? And was the fan noisy or have they fixed this ?
        Black was as good as a good DLP. Not CRT black but pretty good. I'd easily match it against the likes of the Marantz S1 (although maybe not 2 or 3) or Sharp 10K.

The fan was quiet enough that it never even occurred to me to listen to it. The room is our acoustically treated screening area, so it is a quiet space, although large. In other words, it was completely unobtrusive.

This unit shares the UHP lamp (and case) of the SX 21. But there are differences (tweaks) that give it a much better color gamut, close to their xenons according to the reps.

Aud -

This thing smokes the 20HD/70 in almost every way. Smooth detailed vivid absolutely beautiful picture with any type of image. No visible PJ artifacts at any viewing distance.

However, came home and watched the Hulk (first time I've seen it), and gotta say, I still prefer my PJ for one thing. It is REALLY DAMNED BRIGHT! And that really adds something to the image. BURN, RETINAS, BURN! Upshot is, I will not be upgrading my PJ until I can do so without much of a brightness drop (because I'm going to at least a 12' wide scope screen next time around too).

Now for the downer part. List is $25K. This includes the offboard Faroudjia box. I won't be getting one for this reason as well.

I hope to buy its 1500 lumen or better offspring at sub $10K in a few years.

They also had one of these in their van. Offered to show that to us next time around. This I'd go for in a big way. And we get half off! Which still leaves it in 6 figures.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Only 800" diagonal screen ? Heh Heh. That's about 66 feet. I'd like to have one of these but I'll have to get a much bigger house,LOL.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Well, 500 lumens or 7000; kind of leaves a hole in the middle, doesn't it Brandon? :LOL:

I'm with you; everything I'v read about this JVC model is very enticing except the lumens; having owned a Sony 400Q, and lived with it only by virtue of making a "custom" 72" high gain fixed screen, I'd want a few more lumens in something with that kind of resolution and price tag. I've hoped for something a "little" higher in output from JVC, considering the price is close to the range of the Qualia with it's hulking Xenon bulb.

Oh well, at least it seems that they've finally got the factory calibration down to a real science, for a change! :banana:

~Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

Thanks for the detailed review Brandon.
              I've had D-ILA projectors for years, and also have a DLP unit, and I've been waiting for a while to see an affordable 1920 X 1080p native, high contrast, projector with good blacks come out.

This unit sounds like it accomplishes all of those goals except price, so it's hopeful to read the review. When these units drop below $10K I will be looking to replace my own projector. 8)

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"