X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Parasound at CES 2010

Dang... I really tried to go to CES this year. I have event tickets and everything. Unfortunately, couldn't make it happen, and instead I'm actually at the very tip of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska right now.

Some news from Parasound at CES 2010. Sweet. Wish I was there. Anybody make it to CES this year?

CES 2010 Preview and THE Show Preview Pre-Show Report, International Consumer Electronic Show Audiophile Report and Coverage by Enjoy the Music.com high-end audiophile music and audio equipment. From vacuum tubes, turntables, music and audio Hi-Fi reviews magazine.

Parasound will also be at the Venetian Veronese 2501A and will be showing a number of prototypes of products anticipated for early 2010. These will include the John Curl designed Parasound Halo JC 3 mm/mc phono preamp with a big, heavy triple-shielded 2-U chassis. The company will also be showing a number of products in its popular Z-Series of half-rack custom installation problem solvers. The Zcd is a half-rack CD/MP3 player with great CI features and high end performance. The Zphono v.2 is a half-rack MM/MC phono preamp with major upgrades over its predecessor. The new model adds USB output, 2 line inputs in addition to phono, switchable rumble filter, and defeatable RIAA so the user can use software-based EQ.

Product Name: Parasound Halo B 3 Blu-ray player
    Model Number: Halo B 3

High Definition Blu-ray and SACD player.
    Has 7.1 analog outputs and also balanced outputs. 2-way RS-232 control and rack mount option. Highest performance video and audio.

Onsite Product:
    Literature about this product/service will be available at the event
    A company representative will be available to discuss this product/service at the event
    This product/service will be displayed/demonstrated onsite at the event

Product Name: Parasound Z Zcd CD/MP3 player
    Model Number: Parasound Z Zcd

High-end CD player also plays MP3 and includes a USB input. Unique half-rack space mounting and 2-way RS-232 for easy system integration.
    Highest quality audio and convenience.

Onsite Product:
    A company representative will be available to discuss this product/service at the event

Product Name: Halo by Parasound HD Surround Processor
    Model Number: Halo C 3

7.1 channel high definition surround processor with five HDMI inputs and Dolby PLIIz. Includes balanced inputs and outputs and decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master audio.

Product Name: Parasound NewClassic HD Surround Receiver
    Model Number: Parasound NewClassic HDR-77

High definition 7.1 channel surround receiver with five HDMI inputs and 2-way RS-232. Massive class AB amplifier stage and decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master. Premium performance and assured dealer profitability.

Onsite Product:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
    I'm actually at the very tip of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska right now.
    Chris, that wouldn't be lovely Shemya island would it? Brrrrr. :thud:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Le Caribou
      • Jun 2009

Can i hope a Blu-ray player in new classic version?

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
        Chris, that wouldn't be lovely Shemya island would it? Brrrrr. :thud:
        You got it! That's me, in the bottom left corner, on Shemya.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Le Caribou
          Can i hope a Blu-ray player in new classic version?
          I wouldn't count on it, this time. Costly to make duplicates of every model you make, in both Halo and New Classic forms. I'm looking forward to the B3!
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Le Caribou
            • Jun 2009

So if I want a processor, an amp and a player in the same form, it remains for me to sell my new Classics amp and preamp...Great!
            too bad, my future Focal electra 1028 work better with Halo...

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Well, to be fair, to really keep all your equipment in a system fully matching from the same brand and model line, you usually have to go down to an average-ish consumer-grade line like Sony or Denon. And even then, it often can't be done--you're always going to want a quality piece of equipment from another manufacturer.

Heck... just for the heck of it, I just went to my equipment room rack, and counted 15 different model lines, from 12 different manufacturers. And that doesn't count cables, racking, speakers, video equipment, or network gear.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

This was posted today by Andrew Robinson of the Home Theater Review. Still not much info coming out from CES.

HomeTheaterReview.com's reporter Andrew Robinson gives his impressions of the mood on the floor at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and finds a lot of people expressing cautious optimism after surviving the hardships of 2009.

Parasound / Atlantic Technology
                Parasound was showing with Atlantic Technology this year and the pairing, especially with Atlantic Technology's new H-PAS based speakers was impressive. The bass and resolution the speakers were producing was jaw dropping, especially considering their suggested retail price is $2,000 when they go on sale later in the year.

Parasound was also showing, albeit on static display, the latest addition to their JC or John Curl series of Halo products, the JC3 Phono Preamplifier. Parasound says the JC3 will be available soon and should retail somewhere around $2,000.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Let's hope the B3 is a rebadged Oppo-BDP83SE enhanced with balanced outputs... Any info?

Comment

• MikeyH
                    • Aug 2008

Parasound C3?

Any news on the C3?

Mike

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Interestingly enough, there's another thread going on here in the Guide about Lexicon's new BD player being a rebadged Oppo, with some nasty comments:

Parasound's previous D3 to me looked an awful lot like the Denon DVD-3910 I replaced it with, and it's very common for manufacturers to use the "guts" of another manufacturer's player. So we don't know yet what the B3 will be, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's based on a Denon or Oppo. Wish I could have poked around the model they had there at CES.

Mike, as far as the C3, the word from CES is that Parasound has run into challenges implementing HDMI 1.3 (Note: *NOT* HDMI 1.4) and they've just been getting the performance quality up to Parasound standards. Most recent estimate was Mar - May 2010.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Interestingly enough, there's another thread going on here in the Guide about Lexicon's new BD player being a rebadged Oppo, with some nasty comments
                        Yeah, that's because Lexicon just threw the BDP83 w/ serial port ($589 from Oppo direct) in an outer chassis and is charging $3,500 for an unit that performs exactly the same...

Parasound says that their unit will have balanced outputs (not available on a regular Oppo), so even if it's based on the Oppo it's not going to be a ripoff like the Lex.

Then again, I was considering paying the $2,911 premium for the Lex just to get a Blu-ray in silver. However, I eventually decided to just get the regular Oppo and live with the black color until a more reasonably priced rebadged version in silver comes out. Who knows, maybe Oppo will have a silver version out by then...

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I guess this story is making the rounds of the internet. More on it here:

We discovered the Lexicon BD-30 is an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player with a $3k premium. We prove this with pictures, measurements and an official response from THX. Lexicon no longer sells this product.

I certainly would NOT expect Parasound to do anything close to what Lexicon did. But to mention it, I wouldn't have expected a high-flying industry player like Lexicon to do that.

Peter, looks like you're fortunate you didn't go with the Lex.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Oh, and I can't remember if we've discussed it here, but to add to the previous news that the guys had troubles and couldn't put Audyssey into the new processor/receivers, one RUMOR is that they're continuing to work on it, and might even be able to implement it in a future firmware update. Not sure if that'd even be possible, but conceptually I would imagine that could be done, since the capability is really built into the DSP chips themselves.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Peter, looks like you're fortunate you didn't go with the Lex.
                              When I considered it, I already knew perfectly well that it's just a regular Oppo in a silver box...

What made me reconsider is that I will probably want an upgraded version in ~3 years, so spending $2911 to get a silver box for something that I expect to replace soon does not make sense...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                                When I considered it, I already knew perfectly well that it's just a regular Oppo in a silver box...

What made me reconsider is that I will probably want an upgraded version in ~3 years, so spending $2911 to get a silver box for something that I expect to replace soon does not make sense...
                                Keep the box and get a new refill from Oppo! :T
                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                  Keep the box and get a new refill from Oppo! :T
                                  It would probably not fit, and I think Lex could have done a better work on the front panel...

Also, it would probably cost less to have the existing black Oppo panels custom refinished...

Comment

• Blindamood
                                    • Sep 2003

Any more word on new processors?

When the NewClassic HDP-70 was first mentioned, I was definitely interested. It's been so long since that happened that I was forced to go with an alternative that fit my immediate needs. However, I am still definitely interested in this processor when it is released. Has there been any further word on when this might happen?
                                    Brad

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Latest rumor is that they may go into production in May. :T
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Blindamood
                                        • Sep 2003

Latest rumor is that they may go into production in May. :T
                                        Thanks, Chris. I'll keep my eyes open...
                                        Brad

Comment

• Hirogen
                                          • Apr 2004

Mike, as far as the C3, the word from CES is that Parasound has run into challenges implementing HDMI 1.3 (Note: *NOT* HDMI 1.4) and they've just been getting the performance quality up to Parasound standards. Most recent estimate was Mar - May 2010.
                                          So you're saying Parasound will *NOT* implement HDMI 1.4 in the new C3?

Why are they not doing that? 3D features like HDMI 1.4 (in- and output) is hot at the moment, Pioneer and Onkyo have already announced such models and later this year we can already expect 3D TVs. Hopefully they will announce such a model rather sooner than later this time, not after 2 years from now when the rest of the market has already moved on again.

Do you know if Parasound is planning or working on a C3+ or C4 that will have HDMI 1.4? And what about an Ethernet port and an iPod port? Any news about that as well? Thanks.

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

I can't say for sure, because there has not yet been official statements from Parasound on these things. However, in discussions, the information has been:

- The new processors will have HDMI 1.3. There have been NO indications of supporting HDMI 1.4 features. (again, this is not a huge loss or limitation of current capabilities--refer to the thread I made here in HTGuide on HDMI 1.4 basics back in September 2009) Note that, with Parasound's perfection of models before their release, how long it's taking to release these processors with HDMI 1.3, incorporating a few technologies that have come out since initial notification like DPLIIz. I'm not very hopeful of HDMI 1.4 incorporation without further delays.

- All indications are NO Ethernet port. (I personally believe this would be a shortcoming. In today's industry, network connetivity is becoming more and more essential)

- No, the iPod port has been dropped for a couple reasons, mostly stuff like Apple licensing

I keep hoping for the best with the new processors! I don't think we're going to get EVERYTHING we want though. You never know!
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Le Caribou
                                              • Jun 2009

In my mind, lot of Blu-ray player Will have 2 Hdmi Output... so a big processor with HDMI 1.3 will not be a problem.

Comment

• jazznsoccer
                                                • Apr 2004

Needs ethernet port

I agree with Chris on the need for an ethernet port. Processors should be able to play files from the home network or internet radio. Networking will be key.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jazznsoccer
                                                  I agree with Chris on the need for an ethernet port. Processors should be able to play files from the home network or internet radio. Networking will be key.
                                                  Not to mention ease of firmware updates, which have become much more common lately.
                                                  Brad

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jazznsoccer
                                                    I don't think a "player" function belongs in the processor! High-end processors are way too complex already (especially if you have a processor that lets you configure crossovers and room correction).

However, I do agree that Ethernet should be mandatory. It makes integration much easier and eliminates the need for RS-232.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"