I just ordered a new Acer PH530 projector.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

I just ordered a new Acer PH530 projector.

Admittedly, it's just another stop-gap unit that I'm going to use when i want to play games or bring a projector and PC to play movies at friend's houses.

I just couldn't pass it up. :B

I certainly know that the 1080p FPTVs are coming down in price and up in quality, but they are still thousands of dollars.
    And these new entry level 720P projectors are becoming more impressive for the price.

Here are the specs:

MSRP (USD) : $ 1,299
    Brightness (Lumens) : 1000 ANSI
    Eco-Mode (Lumens): 800 ANSI
    Contrast (Full On/Off) : 2500:1
    Variable Iris: No
    Audible Noise: 31.0 dB
    Eco-Mode: 28.0 dB
    Weight: 6.0 lbs
    Size (inches) (HxWxD) : 4.1 x 11.0 x 10.1
    Std. Lens: Focus: Manual
    Zoom: Manual, 1.20:1
    Throw Dist (feet) : 3.9 - 34.3
    Image Size (inches) : 29.2 - 300.0
    Optional Lenses: No
    Digital Zoom: **
    Keystone Correction: Digital
    Lens Shift: No
    Networking: Wired: No
    Wireless: No
    Warranty: 1 Year
    Performance:
    H-Sync Range: 31.5 - 100.0kHz
    V-Sync Range: 56 - 85Hz

Compatibility: HDTV:
    720p, 1080i, 576i/576p
    EDTV/480p: Yes
    SDTV/480i: Yes
    Component Video: Yes
    Video: Yes
    Digital Input: HDMI (HDCP)
    Personal Computers: Yes
    Display: Type: DLP (1)
    Color Wheel Segs: 7
    Color Wheel Speed: 4x
    Native: 1280x720 Pixels
    Maximum: 1280x1024 Pixels
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (HD)
    Lamp: Type:
    200W **
    Life: 2000 hours
    Quantity: 1
    Speakers: No
    Max Power: 265W
    Voltage: 100V - 240V
    FCC Class: B

Which is similar to the specs of my Studio Experience 50HD that was $8500 new (and I bought used with a spare bulb for $2200 a year ago).

But what pushed me over the buying edge was the price at $599 :E

It should handle projecting computer display info, games, DVDs and HD material just fine, all for about twice the price of a replacement bulb on my current projector. :T

I will fill you all in on how it looks and works when I get it next week.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Congrats Dean!

I've heard a lot of buzz about this unit. Many seem to be really enjoying what it can do. I would really like to read your opinions (after some quality time of course). My understanding is, it has a few quirks about remembering settings for various sources, and black level could be a tad better. But, these seem to be a minor annoyance for most b/c the picture is good and the price is so right.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

Sorry that I haven't chimed in earlier about the Acer PH530, but I've actually been watching it more than thinking about it analytically. The picture looks very good right out of the box, especially with HD material.
      I still am looking for an easy way to quick mount it to the ceiling, but in a way that I can still have it easily unpluggable for using the projector on the road, wherever I feel like it.

It's light and pretty small, and so far the only drawback that I've seen is that the focal range is limited.
      I have it currently set up on my coffee table, displaying on a small section of my screen, and it has a slider zoom bar, which only adjusts the image size around 20%.
      It's not that bad of a drawback, but it means that depending on the size of your screen, there is not a not of flexibility in the projector placement to fill the screen properly.

Overall, it's a good performing projector regardless of price.
      And with the price considered, it's a steal.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Is it HDCP? I don't see that on the website. Is anything with HDMI HDCP? I've never really thought about that.

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

Yes it does have a HDMI (HDCP) video input, which I will be using once I mount it to the ceiling.
          Currently I'm watching it with a progressive component input connection.

Acer PH530 projector specs, projector reviews and current street prices.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

It's nice looking but I can get an AW15 for about 300 more...so I don't know if I'd pick one up. Thinking about it though.

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

The Sony AW15 is probably a better projector, but here at least the difference between $600 and $1000 was big enough to drive me to choose the Acer projector.

For me, the Acer is only $250 more than the cost of a replacement bulb on my Studio Experience projector, so I can justify the purchase simply on those grounds.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah I'm just not sure I want to purchase a lower end projector now or wait for the 1080p's to come down. I think I'm going to purchase a smaller RPTV or LCD that I can move to bedroom duty later on.

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Dean,

I'm glad that you are satisfied with the Acer. It's nice to know that an entry level unit, can deliver good results. It should help open the door for even more to go front projection.
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

Yeah, it's funny to think of this as an entry level unit because I always have set a point of reference for entry-level projectors as being 400 lumens, 800 X 600 resolution and 400:1 contrast. And this 1000 lumens, 1280 X720p, 2500:1 contrast, FPTV displays HD material very well. 8)

At $600 it was enough to convince me (who's on a budget) to still get it as a second projector So I can see that it would be not so big of a jump for someone who currently has a tube TV to simply add a projector for watching movies or playing games on a white wall or simple pull-down screen.

Who knows, in 3 years the sub-$1K, entry level projectors are probably going to be 1080p units. :T

Dougie,

I also recently upgraded my LCD monitor to a 1080p 37" model for $700 (sold my old one and bought the new one for $200 difference), so that's also a good way to go. It works great as my computer monitor and it's big enough to be a very nice looking HT display as well.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

What 37" 1080p LCD did you get for 700? And where did you get it from Hard to find good deals on quality LCD's.

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

I think in another thread he had said he got a Westinghouse LVM-37w1 - I was trying to find the same but no one has them anymore.

Newegg has the newer LVM-37w3 for $899 now...
                        Danish

Comment

• Dean McManis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • May 2003

Black Friday sales are just a month away, and I'd bet that someone will be selling the newer Westinghouse LVM-37W3 1080p LCD displays for around $700. :T

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                            Black Friday sales are just a month away, and I'd bet that someone will be selling the newer Westinghouse LVM-37W3 1080p LCD displays for around $700. :T
                            Exactly what I'm waiting for!
                            Danish

Comment

• yousuredo2
                              • Jun 2006

I am considering a Projector...(I do have a 55" tv)...
                              However I rent, and no good rooms for screens(doors, windows, fireplace are on darn near every wall)...But i do have a spare bedroom(11' x 14') or so...or i can hang/mount one somewhere in my living room...

I would love to hear about/see some entry level units for $1k or less...
                              I am a bit of a movie buff, My girl loves the games...

I would like to find something I wont outgrow soon, require some crazy reconstruction of the celling etc.

any suggestion for a newbie...

Oh, and where (if you dont mind me asking ) did you find it at that price ?
                              My System
                              ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
                              ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
                              ~ Onkyo tx sr805
                              ~ Sony PS.3
                              ~ Xbox 360
                              ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
                              ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
                              ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
                              ~ Behringer ep2500
                              ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • May 2003

We were just having a discussion about sub $1K projectors here:

I bought my Acer PH530 at Tigerdirect, but I believe that they are out of stock currently.

Comment

• sirbogey
                                  • Mar 2006

Dean is this blue RT10 yours as well?

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"