X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost
    • May 2001

Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP

I'm thinking of getting this display unit and and wanted some input from folks here. Is this unit as good as the reviews state? Are there any bad quirks this unit might have?

Thanks
    Randy
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

no experience myself, I have stayed with LCD, not DLP. Is that a flat screen or projector?
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

It's a RPTV. It may eventually get hard to get bulbs for them as they aren't being made anymore. From what I saw of them though the picture was pretty impressive for RPTV tech.

Comment

• Ghost
        • May 2001

What is better in the 65 inch and larger range? I know about Mits LazerVue but they have way over priced it at $7,000

Dougie085,

I thought about getting an extra bulb if and when I get this unit. So, they are no longer making replacement bulbs for DLP's ?

Randy

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

I believe the 750 series is a LED illuminated DLP unit, and a "bulb" life of 60 000 hours, so lamp-life shouldn't be an issue. Plus, no colour wheel.

Comment

• Ghost
            • May 2001

Doing more research on this unit there are no lamps to replace but it uses a light engine instead.

Another advantage to LED illuminations is that there are of course never any lamp bulbs to replace here, which is environmentally conscious while also reducing the cost of ownership. Energy Star compliance results in power consumption--a mere 230 watts--approximately half that of a 60-inch plasma. The lifespan of the LEDs is longer than previous generations as well, rated at over 60,000 hours (roughly 27 years watching six hours of TV a day), so the light engine should last as long as the TV itself.
            Randy

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah it is LED..... I don't know why I was thinking of a bulb haha! So yeah lamp life shouldn't be an issue. My only complaint with RPTV's is watching them in bright rooms sucks. If that's not an issue then no reason to not go with it They are still making the bulbs for other RPTV's but not sure how long they will continue to do so. It could end up being like CRT projectors where they still make the tubes in small quantities.

Comment

• Ghost
                • May 2001

One good thing I like about the Samsung is that is has a matte finish on the screen unlike my old Toshiba with a gloss screen.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Well, Samsung is pretty darn good in that flat screen technology, they seem to be a leader, so I guess it's pretty good? What do reviews say?
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ghost
                    • May 2001

They say things like, "best in class, superb, deep blacks, Unbelievable color and best bang for the bucks. I haven't found any negative about this unit.

Randy

Comment

• Bent
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2003

It has the lumen horsepower to be able to work in a brighter environment - no brite like a direct view LCD, but brighter than a CRT RPTV.

which brings us to the Samsung '750's one Achilles heel, the off axis picture quality diminishes just like every other type of RPTV.

If you do very little viewing from the side, the '750 is a sure bet.

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

I have had a 61" Samsung DLP (color wheel + convential lamp) for two years and have not seen dimming or replaced a lamp yet. It's been a great TV, excellent picture quality, and obviously an excellent bang for the buck if you want a large display. They are highly calibrateable (is that a word? ). The newer LED models are supposed to be even better as they have no color wheel and a much longer life LED lamp. The one caveat is you may have to buy one/return one a couple times to make sure you get a straight cabinet. It's not an extremely common problem but it does happen. If you get one, take it home and immediately put a grid test pattern on it and check for curves near the edges of the screen. Also make sure to get some of the calibrated settings from the thread on AVS. Also make sure you get a small battery backup to plug it into. You don't want the fan to stop if you lose power (may not be a big deal w/the LED models, not sure).
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

I don't believe the 750 LED series had the cabinet problem? I can't remember exactly which it was but I could be mistaken. I'm pretty sure the newer LED ones seemed to fix the problem though?

Comment

• Bent
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2003

impala makes a goof point w.r.t the cabinet, any fixed panel RPTV shouldn't exibit anything equivalent to convergence or geometry issues - if it does, it is a mechanical problem such as a warped cabinet or mirror.

Comment

• Ghost
                              • May 2001

I finally got the new unit and it's all setup. I must say I am just blown away at the quality of the picture. :T Before and after pics below.

Randy
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Awesome glad your happy! What did you pay for it? I don't know if you ever mentioned.

Comment

• crytklmass
                                  • Dec 2008

I have the same t.v. compared to the brands, I think this is the best in its size anything larger, like the 70" and above and i notice the color is darker on the edges, almost fades. The bulb just isnt bright evough to cover the entire t.v.
                                  BOB

Comment

• Ghost
                                    • May 2001

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                    Awesome glad your happy! What did you pay for it? I don't know if you ever mentioned.
                                    $1999 at Best Buy after a price match. Been watching Blu-Ray for the last few days and I must say the wife and I are very impressed. Dialing the TV in with the other video equipment like my Intergra DTC 9.8 and the Sony BDP-S550 Bly-Ray player was fun since they all have video quality setting.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"