Samsung LN55A950 Smart LED backlighting.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Samsung LN55A950 Smart LED backlighting.

Ok so I've been reading into this TV a while now. I read a review and the measured static CR was actually better then the Kuro. This actually doesn't surprise me a whole lot. Also during full blackness it's not grey like everything else I've looked at which is one of my biggest pet peves for current LCD's and Plasma's. I know it's expensive (3800 from amazon) but I'm really starting to want to save for this TV. I can't seem to find it anywhere locally so was wondering if anyone else has looked at it? This may actually be the first LCD to better a plasma which is a huge leap forward
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

And yet still fall a distant second to DLP. :P
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

What do you mean? This is a flatscreen. I haven't seen any RPTV's that look better then an LCD or Plasma. Pretty sure the 950 series is better then a DLP. I've never liked DLP's that much actually lol.

Comment

• littlesaint
        • Jul 2007

It's funny. Almost as I was reading this thread, I noticed my LCOS RPTV has become much darker and a purple spot is forming in the middle of the screen.

Upgrade time!

I'm waiting for the new PDPs to arrive next year before commiting big $$$ on a new display. They are supposedly brighter and use less power then the current generation. The LED LCDs look nice too, but seem to cost a lot more for a given screen size.

For the short term I picked up a Panny 50PX80 for $1K minus the stack of Best Buy gift cards I have. Not the greatest display and only 720p, but probably one of the best bang-for-buck models out right now, and at 50" and 10 feet of distance, 1080p doesn't make much of a difference.
        Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Yeah we have the same set on sale at Sears. 999 I think it is. Very nice display for the money.

That new Samsung I've heard good things about though. How far into next year are the new ones coming out? I don't plan on purchasing something until probably middle of next year at the earliest.

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

The new NeoPDPs from Panasonic are supposed to be out late next summer or fall. It's still unclear if there's some sort of collaboration between Panasonic and Pioneer on PDPs, how much Pioneer is outsourcing to them, and how much of their respective tech will appear in each others display. Either way, next year should see some big gains in plasma tech while the new LED based LCDs should come down a little in price making for a very competitive market overall. We may even start to see some HT sized *ED type displays as well. Not holding my breath though.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Well everyone keeps saying that LCD's are going to drop after the holidays here. I'm kind of hoping the 55A950 will drop down to around 3000. If it does I'll be jumping all over it as it's a rather large upgrade to my KDS-50A3000 RPTV.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well I have been thinking a while now. I've decided that I really like the way my TV performs with TV viewing the only spot I'm really disappointed if you can call it that is in movies and what not. I think my best option would more then likely be to just go with a front projector. There are starting to be some excellent deals too Hoping they get even better around the time I'm ready to purchase but been reading good things about the PT-AE3000U. Either way I can get a motorized or fixed frame screen, lamp replacement warranty for 3 year, Avia, and a ceiling mount for like 1000 less then the 950 goes for

Comment

• don9146
                  • Nov 2008

For an excellent review of the Panasonic PT-AE3000U (and almost every projector available), check out http://www.projectorreviews.com/ and his blog.

Later,
                  Don
                  Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Yeah seen his a lot and read them often

Comment

• here.now
                      • Jun 2008

I just purchased the Samsung ln46a650 and this tv has the deepest blacks i have ever seen. I mean it when i say that my eyes hurt while playing video games with completely black cut scenes. My eyes litterally can't keep up with the transition from completely black to full color and back again. I haven't even looked into Sammy's newest models. I picked this bad boy up off of amazon for 1500 bux plus a free BDP-1500 on black friday. Go to Best Buy and check out one of these models i can almost assure you the the blacks in the lower models will convince you enought to save up to buy one of their nicer ones.

Cheers, happy holidays!
                      My Stack Rack Build

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yes the 650 series is quite nice as well but has nothing on the 850/950's

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Haven't seen them so I can't say... it's great they have deep blacks but how's the shadow detail, the fast motion and the off axis viewing? Three other traditional LCD flaws I'd love to hear how these sets perform in those areas too.
                          Jason

Comment

• Allegiance
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by aud19
                            Haven't seen them so I can't say... it's great they have deep blacks but how's the shadow detail, the fast motion and the off axis viewing? Three other traditional LCD flaws I'd love to hear how these sets perform in those areas too.
                            Fast motion and off axis viewing hasn't been a problem for any LCD produced within the last year, maybe even longer. Don't know what you mean by shadow detail though, this probably has more to do with black level.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

OK that's just not true, a lot of displays have improved but LCD's have an inherent issue with motion and off axis viewing. Better, yes, not a problem, no. Maybe I'm just overly picky...lol

Shadow detail is the information just above black, the ability to show folds in dark clothes, detail in dark scenes etc without it becoming a flat grey mass. Detail in shadows basically. LCD's generally suck here.
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"