X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Saving for a new T.V suggestions?

Ok currently I'm building an amplifier and when I'm done with that we are going to start saving a couple months for a T.V. I'm looking to spend at most about 1800. LCD or Micro RPTV's are really what I'm interested in. If its LCD it needs to have very high CR 10000:1 at least would be nice. Right now the T.V thats big on my list is either a 46" or 50" sony 720p RPTV. Uses 3 LCD techonology and all that good stuff. Great T.V and amazon has the 46" is something like 880 bucks the 50" is 999. So I'm wondering is there any other T.V's that are in that price range? If I go 50" 1080p would be nice. Just not sure if there is anything worth spending the extra money on? I do like the samsung 1080p RPTV's. Not sure what they are going for nowadays. I know there aren't to much 1080p RPTV's in the 50" range but 50" is deffinately the biggest I could fit in this room.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Also look at Samsung's DLP units and if you can stretch the budget the Sony/JVC LCOS units are hard to beat for RPTV's :T
    Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yeah just haven't decided if 1080p is worth the extra cash right now. 720p looks pretty darn good.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I think we're just going to go with this one.

Price is quite great! And anything bigger then this in our current living room is too big. I was thinking of going with the 50" because we will be moving into a bigger place soon but I think this one will be big enough still.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Either that or save up an extra month or so and get the Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p that I've wanted for a while. Would probably be refurbished though. Saves a good 700+ bucks.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Personally if budget's a concern I'd avoid flat panels. Micro-RPTV's have pretty small foot prints nowadays and offer much bigger picture/dollar and pretty damn good PQ. (And in a lot of cases much more accurate colours, better black levels etc)
            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Well there is a place here that has a refurbished Sharp Aquos 52" 1080P with the 10,000:1 CR for 1899.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

And how much would a refurb'd 60" Samsung DLP RPTV be?
                Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

I don't know they don't have that one. Lol don't want a 60" either. You don't like the Sharp Aquos LCD's? That refurb one has a 90 day warranty I believe they offer an extended warranty on it to for like 150 for 3 years I want to say.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Of course thinking about it now I could get a 1080p 50" samsung DLP for probably 300+ less then that. Maybe even one of the LED units.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Hmmmm how about this one?

or

I think these are the 2 we've narrowed it down to. Diana likes both of them. She says whichever is cheaper which would be the Sony SXRD which also probably has a better picture.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

I think we're going to go with the Sony. Before we make final decision we are going to go look at them in the store but based on features specs and what little reviews I could find the Sony seems like a much better option. I'll have to get a new T.V stand though as the one I have is too small. I think I'll build one using the big bolts.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dougie085
                          Of course thinking about it now I could get a 1080p 50" samsung DLP for probably 300+ less then that. Maybe even one of the LED units.
                          Not that I don't like the Aquos units, they're VERY nice but it seems from this post you figured out what I was getting at

Have you read HT Mag's RPTV faceoff?...heres a link:

Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Jason you know of a review that has the newer models? I know the Sony and the Samsung are both newer models then in this shootout. I've heard that the LED units don't have all that great black levels. Of course according to that face off the Samsung didn't have that great of black levels anyways. Did the black levels get a lot better when they adjusted the iris? And lastly Jason if you were going to get a RPTV right now which would you buy?

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

I haven't seen any reviews of the new models but the new SXRD's specs have me quite intrigued especially their 120hz refresh and SUPER slim cabinets. Haven't seen one in person yet though.

Based on the previous models I'd be pretty tempted by the Samsung which out of the box doesn't have great black levels but does have pretty good contrast and yes the black levels (and peak light) do go down with the iris enabled. More info on that here: http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoff...07samsungiris/

Otherwise the Sony and JVC are close enough on PQ from what I've seen that it would be a tossup between them based on which price/features/GUI you preferred. For instance the fact that the Hitachi set I bought 4+ years ago had direct input buttons on the remote was a BIG selling point for me. Why EVERY manufacturer doesn't do this is completely beyond my comprehension.
                              Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I'd like to see a well written review on the LED Samsungs. Also do you know how to get into the service menu? I probably won't be paying an ISF calibrator to come to my house anytime soon. But if I can turn on the iris my self the Samsung looks like a VERY good option. Those black levels look great compared to with it on.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

I'd bet a quick google search would yield helpful results

P.S. I'd LOVE to see a review of the HL-T5087/HL-T5687 if you come across one. LED just seems brilliant in theory if it can be implemented well. Why these aren't being reviewed by everyone and their dog...I don't know...? :scratchhead:
                                  Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Yeah all I saw were a couple user reviews and I don't like being the guinea pig so I never just rush out and buy something because it sounds neat . I'm looking but just can't seem to find one. The user review I saw said the black levels weren't to great. And being as its LED it may not have the iris? If not then its a deal breaker and I would just get the bulb one. I don't know about the Sony as they always have over saturated colors and I've witnessed it although in stores it makes it look better then the other displays at home it might bother me.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Been reading through the very long thread at avs on the Sammy LED and it seems to be better then their bulb units in just about all aspects. And way better then the previous LED sets from sammy. I think I've made my decision. I have about a month and a half before the purchase so it could change but as it stands right now the Sammy LED unit is at the top of my list. Not to mention Frys and Electronics expo have it for 1300ish. Shipping with frys is 150 which brings it up to like 1528 which is slightly cheaper then amazon. All 3 are authorized dealers though.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Ok well I thought I had made up my mind but then I read a thread over at avs about calibrating the LED units and about their colors shifting over time. Aparently it could be a real problem but no one knows as all the LED units are new. Hmm I know the Sony has over saturated colors but can they be toned down to a normal level? Tuesday I'm going to have to go look at these tv's. I may just grab the bulb version of the sammy.

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Let us know how you feel after you have a look at them Dougie

I agree about the LED units though. They sound GREAT in theory but I don't like being a guinea pig either and they're just too new with too many unknowns for me to comfortably recommend them. Maybe Samsung will send me one for free to test out for a few years?
                                          Jason

Comment

• Drewbert
                                            • Aug 2005

I would strongly look into the new sony A3000s...
                                            If I dont get the 50 kuro, ill get the 50A3000
                                            -Drew

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Well I've been thinking about saving a little more and getting one of the new Panny 50" 1080p plasma's. 5k:1 true CR. Reviews have said the best blacks they have seen on any HDTV not just plasma's. The cheapest I've seen them going for is about 2300 though. Not sure I want to spend that much right now. But it is very nice looking regardless.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

The A3000's do look very nice but are very spensive for a rear projection.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

I honestly think I can't go wrong with this one

1,177 bucks and like 124.37 for shipping. Thats super cheap for 1080p and almost perfect color accuracy out of the box to boot . I'm still going to look first but I don't know how much that will sway me as in store setups are horrible.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

I really don't know if I can purchase a Samsung. The 5076S seems to have TONS of bowing problems where it shifts the image as much as 1/4" and you can shift it by lightly pressing on the top or lifting up on the bottom. That is just horrible. Apparently the 5087W was a lot better but thats an old model now. I'm starting to think of looking at the Sony's more seriously or going for that plasma.

Ok the plasma is way to much...I thought I found it for cheaper then that.

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

I'd be on board for one of the new Pioneer plasma's but as you mentioned they're likely out of budget.
                                                      Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Well the new Panny plasma is supposed to be a lot better then the pioneer's.

Comment

• Drewbert
                                                          • Aug 2005

Well the new Panny plasma is supposed to be a lot better then the pioneer's.
                                                          Supposed to be and are, are two totally different things!
                                                          -Drew

Comment

• aud19
                                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Drewbert
                                                            Supposed to be and are, are two totally different things!
                                                            Yeah, I haven't seen either yet so I hate to form a hard opinion but the Pioneer units are supposed to be revolutionary, not evolutionary for plasma PQ. I can't imagine Panny has caught up already, let alone surpassed them.
                                                            Jason

Comment

• Drewbert
                                                              • Aug 2005

Jason, you havent seen either? Ouch youre missing out
                                                              I sell them, and Im saving up for the 50 Kuro...
                                                              The Pannys look good, just real low brightness. Too bad as they are very clear tvs. Plus the processor in the panels is really good.
                                                              -Drew

Comment

• aud19
                                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2003

Yeah been too busy doing home reno's etc to get to my AV shop for a while
                                                                Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Well going to go look at T.V's today. Unfortunately I don't know of a decent AV shop around here so CC and BB will have to do. As long as they let me play with the settings its all good.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Ok well I looked at a few T.V's.

I saw the LED unit and picture looked pretty good but I'm just really not interested in taking a chance on it.

I saw the Samsung HL-T5076S and while picture looked pretty good it was quite bright! Another problem is the screen shift thing. I saw it on 5 different Samsung models that were in that same series. The worst of which was at Sears it was way way off on one side. That being said I leaned away from this one because I don't want to be sending 4-6 different sets back trying to get a good one which I've read of a couple people having to do.

Next I looked at the Sony KDS-50A2020 This had an excellent picture and while the colors were over saturated it wasn't as big of an effect as some make it out to be. The red just seems to have just slightly more push then the Samsung. This T.V was sitting directly next to the Samsung so it made it real easy to compare them.

I also looked at the Sony KDS-50A3000 It looked great except I noticed the Auto Iris horribly! Man it was like the bulb would dim by 50% on the really dark scense. I messed with the settings and changed to auto 2 and took it out of vivid mode and everything and it was still horrible. I'm not sure if this is a flaw or what but on the KDS-50A2020 I didn't notice the iris at all moving. Even Diana noticed it right off the bat.

So out of these models I looked at Diana and I both agreed our favorite was teh KDS-50A2020. The Samsung just has a horrible chassis and the 50A3000 just has a horrible Auto Iris. Can anyone chime in and tell me if they noticed the auto iris this bad on the A3000's?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Jason, Have you seen the 3000 models?

Comment

• aud19
                                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2003

I have not I think my local AV shop has missing person posters of me up :lol:
                                                                        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16073

Well I didn't see it at any of the other stores so I couldn't compare. But it was horrible the one I saw. I even messed with the settings and it was still real bad. Only other thing to do was make it static rather then auto. I didn't even notice it working on the A2020 model though.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16073

We are starting to seriously think about saving a little longer and pick up this one instead.

We'd love to get the pioneer but it's just WAY to much money and to be honest I'm not sure the extra performance is even worth the extra over 2 grand. The panny is supposed to be quite amazing and one of the best plasma's to date.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2005
                                                                              • 637

#39
                                                                              We are starting to seriously think about saving a little longer and pick up this one instead.

We'd love to get the pioneer but it's just WAY to much money and to be honest I'm not sure the extra performance is even worth the extra over 2 grand. The panny is supposed to be quite amazing and one of the best plasma's to date.
                                                                              Just read the review on that model in Home Theater mag. The reviewer wasn't really that impressed with it. The older 768p model has better blacks, higher contrast, and is brighter. Make sure you have a good upscaling DVD player, as the scaler in the new Panny's isn't the greatest.

FWIW, I haven't seen one of these yet, just going by what I read.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 16073

#40
                                                                                Are you sure it was the 750 model? Or was it the 700? I've read several reviews and the they all seem to say that it had the best blacks they had ever seen on any plat panel display (this was before the new pioneer came out) and the video scaler was pretty decent but certainly not the best. I don't own any DVD's anymore so its all HD. But I have not read one review that said the blacks were worse then the old model. I don't know if I really want to spend that much on a T.V right now but with how big our room is it would be nice to have a flat screen. The last review I read mentioned the 700's scaler was really bad much worse then the 750.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2005
                                                                                  • 637

#41
                                                                                  You're right, it was the 700 model. ops:

And even with all the negatives mentioned about these sets, the 50" is still a pretty decent plasma. The 42" is another story though........

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 16073

#42
                                                                                    Well most of the reviews said that the 50" 750 model was the best plasma they had seen. But remember this was before the new Pioneer came out. And to be honest the Pioneer and Panny are in completely different price brackets in my eyes.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 16073

#43
                                                                                      I don't know. I really like the Sony XBR4 LCD tv. I'm not sure about plasma. It's never seemed as sharp or crisp as LCD's. And the Sony has great black levels. Not as good as the panny or pioneer probably. Only bad thing is going the XBR4 route I'd have to step down to a 46". I read a couple reviews that say the XBR4 is the best LCD yet. Not sure. Need to find a place that has the panny plasma and the XBR4 got a couple months at least though until we purchase anything.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2003
                                                                                        • 899

#44
                                                                                        I saw the new Sony XBR4 LCD the other day at a local big-box store. It was hooked to a Sony BDP-S300 playing one of the new animated movies (sorry, don't know which one) and the picture was unbelieveable! If I was moving to a new flat screen today, I'd be looking at the same two choices you are (the Sony lcd or the Panny plasma), in addition to the Sony KDS-60A3000, which can be had for quite a bit less $.
                                                                                        Brad

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 16073

#45
                                                                                          60" is way to big. I really want a 50-52" But if going with the XBR4 I'm going to have to step down to the 46" which isn't bad really. Heck after all this I'll probably get enough money for the KDS-50A2020 and go for it lol. I looked at the A3000 and was not happy at all.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"