X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

LCOS "News"

Some interesting news I recently came across again from CES that wasn't posted in here...

Toshiba, one of LCOS's biggest supporters so far, anounced that they were dropping production of LCOS based RPTV's this coming year and would start to produce DLP based sets! Somewhat related, Samsung is due start producing 1080p capable DLP sets using Texas Instruments xHD3 chip. I would imagine Toshiba will be utilizing the xHD3 chip as well as I doubt they'll go from 1080p LCOS to 720p DLP and shortly thereafter have to change again to the 1080p DLP.

While Toshiba was dropping production of LCOS sets, Intel a world leader in chip production anounced it would start to manufacture LCOS chips in competition to Texas Instruments DLP chips. Maybe we'll start to see MS LCOS TV's bundled with X-box's?....lol

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Aud19,

As you might recall from our earlier posts, I am waiting very patiently (actually very anxiously) for the new Samsung DLP sets. I had been waiting for the xHD3 chip but i heard from Samsung directly that the earliest would be next year in 2005 sometime, so I would now settle on just the HD2+ chip which I understand from reading reviews on the front projectors really solves the black problems the earlier chips had. Keep us posted if you hear anything.

Adz
    Adz

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I've been hearing late 2004 (likely in time for the Christmas buying season ) for xHD3 sets. Not to mention that Panasonic and Toshiba are coming out with sets likely with the HD2+ chip and likely in late summer/fall adding some much needed competition to the DLP RPTV market and hopefully driving prices down :P (The HD2+ sets should have better black levels, depth and sharpness)

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Adz
        • Jan 2004

What's the major differences again between the HD2+ and the xHD3? If Samsung puts xHD3 into its holiday sets, does that mean its skipping HD2+ altogether?

Adz
        Adz

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

HD3 is a new 720p chip designed for low-cost high volume production, HD2+ is a new 720p chip with higher contrast and black levels, and xHD3 is a new 1080p chip.

HD2/Existing/ 0.8”/ 1280x720/1000:1

HD3/ New/ 0.55”/ 1280x720/ 1500:1
          Replaces HD2. Smaller size. Designed for high volume, low-cost production. Incremental improvements: DarkChip2, SmoothPicture
          Samsung 2004 base models are the first ones to use this chip.

HD2+/ New/ 0.8”/ 1280x720/ 2500:1
          Higher end 720p chip. Dimple fix, DarkChip2
          Already shipping in Sharp 12000 and other front projectors.
          Samsung higher end models (pedestal 50", 56" and tantus 46", 56"), Panasonic DLP, New model from Optoma, many new front projectors, Toshiba

xHD3/ New/ 0.9”/ 1920x1080/ 5000:1
          Dynamic Black, DarkChip2, SmoothPicture
          Demonstrated on a Samsung set.
          Delivery targeted for later part of 2004

TI has branded some of the new improvements made in these new chips as follows:
          Enhancement
          Description

DarkChip2
          The next generation of DLP's widely acclaimed DarkChip(TM) technology, it offers dramatically increased contrast ratio to provide increased depth and picture sharpness and true blacks and whites.

SmoothPicture
          Combined with our cutting-edge third generation of 720p and 1080p chips, it offers the ultimate in picture quality, providing a smooth, seamless image.

DynamicBlack
          Dynamically optimizes picture quality, providing deeper black levels with incredible detail in dark scenes and a contrast ratio of 5000:1.

So no they aren't skipping HD2+ they're making them now, then later this year xHD3 will be the new top of the line. The different chips will be in sets at different price points. Kind of like the "old" CRT RPTV's with smaller and larger CRT guns. The smaller ones are less expensive but don't have the same abilities so they're in "lower end" sets the larger guns are more expensive and in "higher end" sets.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Adz
            • Jan 2004

Aud,

Awesome summary. I think I am having a weak moment and have begun to look at FRont Projection from Studio Experience as opposed to the Samsung Rear Projection I have been waiting for. The new HD2+ chip on their latest Premiere 50HD this Summer. I know its a bit more money (almost double with the screen and installation) but I have a dark basement for it and can get a 106 inch screen to fit very well. What do you think?

Adz
            Adz

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Oooooh...that's a tough one. There's two sides to that... Part of me wants to say go for it! If you're able to do FP and price, light control and space are not issues, it's hard to argue with that big screen and theatre like experience a FP will give you.

On the other hand, part of me wants to tell you to just get a good price on a decent CRT based RPTV for a couple years and wait for 1080p chips to "mature" and come down in price before delving in to a FP. As I honestly think that in 2-3 years a 3-chip, 1080p DLP FP will cost you the same as an inexspensive FP today.

Whatever you decide, I would get the most affordable (while retaining quality ie: inexpensive NOT cheap) display in either category. I also wouldn't go lower than 1280x720 resolution to maintain HD abilities for a FP. Making the Matinee 2HD http://www.studioexperience.com/proj...enu=Projectors the projector of choice, IMO.

LCD isn't the best technology IMO but at this point for inexpensive FP's with the necessary resolution it's the only way to go. I mean Studio Experience's own 1280x720 DLP projector is about 3 times the price of their LCD! 8O IMO, while DLP is the better technology and would offer a better picture, there's not enough of an improvement to warrant that much of a price increase. That's how I feel about CRT based RPTV's too. As nice as DLP RPTV's are, unless you're a "money is no concern" type of person or you have a very specific reason for "needing" a DLP set, it's hard to warrant the extra funds.

Jason

Jason

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"