X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

1080p is in the theater

Even though I haven't got HDTV or have subscribed to either Bluray or HD DVD, I decided it was time to upgrade my trusty old 1024 x 768 NEC HT1000 dlp to a BenQ W10000 1080p dlp front projector. Why now ? Because everything was just right: the W10K had lens shift and a manual iris and the $3895CDN price was just rigfht for my situation. When this baby was released at the end of 2006, its msrp was $9999. During 2007 it streeted for anywhere from $6 to $8K. But there is a new 1080p being released any day now from BenQ, the W20000, so prices of their 06/07 model were falling like flies.

The W10K is a beast, compared to the little HT1000 and it is even larger than my Yamaha LPX 510 lcd projector. But it fits nicely in the rack behind the seating area with the W10K on top ( thanks to the lens shift ) and the Yamaha on the middle shelf. The BenQ claims a contrast ratio of 10,000:1 but in reality it is probably some where between 7 and 8:000:1. But believe me, there is a helluva lot of contrast there. Black levels are excellent and blacks are really black. But you have to make sure the brightness and contrast are set properly to really take advantage of this.

Reviewers all pretty much said the same about out of the box color temp: very close but just a tad too much blue. One reviewer who owned the 720p version of this baby, said after reviewing the W10K, he dialed in the proper 6500K by simply lowering the blue gain by 5 clicks. I tried that and the greyscale looks great.

There are all kinds of features for those who like to tinker with the picture, including the ability to change the red, green, blue and yellow colors, as well as the ability to change the primaries. But I liked the color as it was and left those things alone.

As for the iris, well the factory default in the cinema preset mode sets the iris at about 3/4 closed, but I found the contrast and black levels better and the picture a little brighter with the iris at about the midway point. BTW, this thing is a light cannon. It has a 250 watt lamp but my preference is setting it at 200w. It is also whisper quiet.

PQ varies according to just how good the dvd transfer is, because this baby is unforgiving: garbage in/garbage out. The upsacling and deinterlacing of 480i is pretty good IMHO, delivering a sharp, detailed picture, but softer and more filmlike ( much like the NEC ) than my Yamaha lcd.

Overall I am more than happy with this purchase and look forward to adding a dual Hd-dvd/bluray player to the mix possibly sometime next year. That's when I'll really be able to take advantage of 1080p with film material at 24 frames, too.

I tried to attach a pic but it didn't work. If you want to see what it looks like, go to the BenQ USA site, choose W10000 under projectors, then click on awards and reviews. There is one from CBS News that has a video showing this projector off.
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 06 November 2007, 14:29 Tuesday.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Congrats and enjoy.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
      Congrats and enjoy.
      I am definitely enjoying it.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Dang George! :P Congrats :T You should post some nice pics of you sitting and enjoying the bad boy
        Jason

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Congrats, George! :banana: Nice choice! :T
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by aud19
            Dang George! :P Congrats :T You should post some nice pics of you sitting and enjoying the bad boy
            Being the computer-challenged fella that I am, I can't seem to post pictures. I'm probably doing something wrong or not doing something right.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Nice deal George! Congrats on the new toy! :T
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Thanks, John.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                  Being the computer-challenged fella that I am, I can't seem to post pictures. I'm probably doing something wrong or not doing something right.
                  Tell ya what, feel free to fly me out there, I'll bring my cam and tripod, we can watch some movies and I'll help ya post them :lol:
                  Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by aud19
                    Tell ya what, feel free to fly me out there, I'll bring my cam and tripod, we can watch some movies and I'll help ya post them :lol:
                    Uhhh, well, Jason, I, uh, well, I sorta blew my budget for this year... but I would love to have ya ...
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bent
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2003

Congrats George, that looks to be a terrific purchase.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • May 2003

I'll add my congratulations George on your new projector!

I have yet to pull the trigger on a new 1080p FPTV, but I did get a 37" LCD display and I'll concur that because it shows every tiny detail it does have a tendency to reveal poor quality more than other forgiving displays. But I also am OK with that because of the clarity gains overall.

New toys are always great fun!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dean McManis

New toys are always great fun!
                          For sure, Dean. I really wasn't in a rush to step up to 1080p because I didn't have anything to apply to it, such as HDTV or hi-def dvds, but the price was so low low on this flagship BenQ, and after all the research I did, I just couldn't resist it. It will pay off for me next year when I add a dual hi-def dvd player to the mix.

I'm using my trusty little NEC HT1K for watching sports in another room in the house. It is very portable and with the large offset, I can set it up pretty much anywhere there's a table and a white wall.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• sirbogey
                            • Mar 2006

Congrats George! That's a nice piece of equipment! I'm really really jealous, but I pulled the trigger last year on the Panny 900 with 720p so can't justify another upgrade for at least 3y.

I agree on garbage in garbage out.. same here, especially with cable TV.. was thinking of getting a DVDO for that purpose, but am not sure if that's gonna help much

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Actually, I think it's the BenQ's 1080p upconversion from 480i that really shows garbage for what it is. I can play the same poor transfer on both the BenQ and my Yamaha, yet the Yamaha when scaling 480i up to 720p sort of hides a lot of the garbage that the BenQ exposes. If I had an upscaling player I would probably try sending the BenQ either a 720p or 1080i signal and see which is better for standard dvd.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Hey George,

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity has a nice write-up of your BenQ!
                                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Thanks , John, I read it. Written by Kris Derring and he seemed to like it.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Yes sir he did! I was really impressed with his comments. You have a very nice projector. And at the deal you got it for, I know you are very happy.

Anyway,just hoped you read the review. I wished I'd saved a little longer now and bought a unit like yours. Jon told me to stop reading projector reviews!

Comment

• H.Donald
                                      • Aug 2004

:T Love new toys...it's what separates us from the animals.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

True, I guess. I've never seen a horse sit and critically analyze a DTS Master Audio track!
                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                          True, I guess. I've never seen a horse sit and critically analyze a DTS Master Audio track!
                                          Mr Ed would be capable of that I'm sure.

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                            • Jan 2008

hhmm you don't have HDTV...or BR or HDDVD... why do you need an HD projector at all ?

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by IllNastyImpreza
                                              hhmm you don't have HDTV...or BR or HDDVD... why do you need an HD projector at all ?
                                              The video processor in some HD projectors (some BenQ--don't know about George's particular model--some others--my Sony AW15, for instance) is very good and so if one wants an HD display without having to buy an upconverting DVD player, that is one reason.

Another is future-proofing. Why would anyone NOT buy an HD display today?

And, since his OP, George has added a Blu-ray player and, by all accounts, is enjoying it immensely with his new PJ.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2001

A good projector can make standard dvds look pretty darn good ( in some cases very close to hi-def ) and that can tide a fellow over until he decides what to do about hi-def. But once you see what hi-def looks like on a good 1080p pj ( especially with 24fps) you really not enjoying the best it can be.
                                                My Homepage!

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                                  • Jan 2008

do you think the 24FPS is better than 60FPS ??

I thought it was frames per second ??

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

The HDM that is natively 24 frames per second matches the original film and, when displayed without 2:3 pulldown at the proper frame rate (or exact multiple thereof), judder is virtually eliminated. If a player and/or display does a proper 2:3 pulldown, then 60fps is not a serious issue, though it does add a little extra layer of processing to the procedure.

I have a 720p projector, but it accepts a 1080p/24fps signal and transforms it to 720p/48hz. By all accounts, my PJ handles that kind of material quite well. However, my HD DVD player does not output 1080p/24 (it is limited to 1080i/60) though it is not a problem as according to reviews that have bench tested the PJ, it does a proper 2:3 pulldown (deinterlacing) with both 480i signals (quite common in displays) AND 1080i signals (far less common). When I do go "blu", I will, of course, try out 1080p/24 and see if it is even better than what I'm seeing now with 1080i/60. And my next PJ (which, I hope, won't be for a few years, at least) will be a 1080p projector and that is when, I believe, I will maximize my HDM experience (though it's none too shabby thus far despite what might seem like some lukewarm comments on my part elsewhere--I'm not given to "gushing").

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                                      • Jan 2008

ok I didn't know that most film was recorded @ 24FPS... I will definatly set my PS3 back to 1080/24

...even though my PJ is only 720

Comment

• Ovation
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Sep 2004

ok I didn't know that most film was recorded @ 24FPS... I will definatly set my PS3 back to 1080/24

...even though my PJ is only 720
                                                        Be careful. If your PJ does not accept such a signal, it won't work. Make sure you read your PJ's manual to see if it will take that signal. My PJ is "only 720" but it still gives me great images.

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                                          • Jan 2008

I checked the website... it didn't say....

hhmm

Comment

• Ovation
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Sep 2004

I checked the website... it didn't say....

hhmm
                                                            What model is it?

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                                              • Jan 2008

Benq W500

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2004

According to p. 21 in the manual, it says it supports 1080p (24, 50, 60 hz). So it should work. Easiest way to tell is to try. If it won't support the signal, you'll know right away. It won't damage the PJ.

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                                                  • Jan 2008

awsome !

but you are saying HZ... I thought it was Frames per second ?

so I will set my PS3 to 1080/24

and this way it will play @ 24FPS, and only have to scale the pixels down to 720p ?

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2003

Thier is not a better way too enjoy a film than to project it on a screen, at least the equipment today is less complacated then what was the original home theater, 16mm print, complete with cinemascope lens and two track stereo sound.

At this point in time i have not upgraded to such a system yet but there is a few projection sets that ive look at such as the new jvc and vidkron but are a bit pricey. enjoy yours. :B
                                                                    Robert

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2004

awsome !

but you are saying HZ... I thought it was Frames per second ?

so I will set my PS3 to 1080/24

and this way it will play @ 24FPS, and only have to scale the pixels down to 720p ?
                                                                      That is correct. (HZ is the way the projector plays it back--it's a VIDEO display and it doesn't actually have discrete frames like film. Don't worry about that.)

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                                                        • Jan 2008

ok awesome, I watched 310 to Yuma like night on Blu-ray on my Benq W500. I set the PS3 to output 1080/24, and everything looked awesome !

still having trouble switching my reciever to work on DTS mode though...

but other than that I'm lovin the BIG screen High Def

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"