X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Is 24p the next must have?

So there I was, just about to pull the trigger on a new Panasonic plasma - the new 42" 1080p - when all of a sudden I was hit with a curveball.

24p.

24p is the next big thing, apparently, for high definition formats. 24p being 24 frames per second - the format used by cameras when movies are made.

From what I've read, the latest BD & HD DVD players will/already have this capability. So to enjoy it, your screen must support 24p too and most don't. The only screens I've found that support it are the new line of Sonys just out.

So, is this a big deal or am I missing something?! I really don't want to spend €3k and be missing something important.

V.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

At 42 inches, it's highly debatable whether 24fps is important. If either your player or your display does a decent 2:3 pulldown, any slight judder that may present itself will not really be noticeable. If you were planning to use a projector with a 10 foot diagonal screen, then perhaps it would be something to worry about. It gets a lot of press (ooohhh, this display does 24fps) but only the nitpickiest videophile would notice, IMO, especially in the size display you are considering. Now, if the display is horrible at 2:3 (or doesn't have the feature--some "bargain" brands don't, but I believe all Panasonics do), it could theoretically be an issue. However, it is unlikely that a display that is horrible at or lacks 2:3 pulldown entirely would also include 24fps capability.

Best way to tell is to get the store to plug in a 24fps source (assuming they have one handy) and watch it on the display you're considering.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'm actually hoping that more displays starts coming with a 120hz refresh rate as it's divisible by both 24 (film) and 30 (video). So far I think there's only one manufacturer that does this currently and for the life of me can't remember who it is... :lol:
      Jason

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

i believe the pioneers display at 72 fps (that was the case 2 yrs ago)
        ie "3:3 pulldown"
        shouldnt make a difference for you then

but 32bit color...

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by aud19
          I'm actually hoping that more displays starts coming with a 120hz refresh rate as it's divisible by both 24 (film) and 30 (video). So far I think there's only one manufacturer that does this currently and for the life of me can't remember who it is... :lol:

So, do you think 120Hz refresh is the next must have?

V.
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

But many displays have a 120hz refresh rate and they still aren't avoiding 3:2 pulldown.

With 120hz, it should be 4:4 for 30fps, 2:2 for 60fps and 5:5 for 24fps. But while the first two seem to be handled by 120hz displays, I've not read about one that does 5:5 yet (though there very well could be--I can't keep up with all the developments). The new Sony VPL-AW15 takes a 1080p/24fps signal and outputs it at 720p (its native resolution)/48 hz. I believe the new BenQ W500 also does this, but I'm not certain (these are two projectors I'm contemplating). But for flat panels or RPTVs, I don't know of any besides Pioneer that avoid a 3:2 pulldown as of today.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Alloroc
              So, do you think 120Hz refresh is the next must have?

V.
              As Ovation mentioned, it's more about doing away with the 3:2 (or more accurately 2:3) pull down and it's inherent issues/flaws. A display running at 120hz is not enough, it needs to do the appropriate 2:2, 4:4 or 5:5 pull down for the respective formats. And yes, I do believe it's one of the important features to look for in future displays but certainly not the only factor. For example a display with clearly superior, colour, contrast, black levels and detail that however still uses 2:3 is likely still a better choice than a crappy display that does 120hz and the appropriate pull down.
              Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                As Ovation mentioned, it's more about doing away with the 3:2 (or more accurately 2:3) pull down and it's inherent issues/flaws. A display running at 120hz is not enough, it needs to do the appropriate 2:2, 4:4 or 5:5 pull down for the respective formats. And yes, I do believe it's one of the important features to look for in future displays but certainly not the only factor. For example a display with clearly superior, colour, contrast, black levels and detail that however still uses 2:3 is likely still a better choice than a crappy display that does 120hz and the appropriate pull down.
                And this is especially true in the sub 50 inch display category, IMO, as any judder would be (unless the display is truly bad) barely perceptible, if at all, to most people. At 120 inches, it could be a more serious issue.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"