X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moe32274
    • Nov 2005

Samsung Iris / Black level

I have a Samsung HLS 5087W. Would closing down the Iris in the service menu improve black levels? I've read different reviews which appear to be conflicting in that regard.

Recent quote from Ultimate AV:

"Disabling the automatic feature of the iris and closing it down fully in the service menu will reduce light output significantly but it will not lower black levels."

Is that accurate?

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Moe
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I think they must have meant to say won't lower contrast ratio's (at least not signifigantly). With less light, everything should be lower but the contrast ration should be similar but just moved down the scale.

Home Theater Mag had a bunch of info on this...let me see what I can find...

The second article mentions the contrast ratio remaining constant but the black level dropping

...On drops the light output by half. The contrast ratio essentially stays the same, but now instead of 158 ft-Lamberts (what we measured this week now that it has many more hours on its lamp), it drops by more than half to 77.06 ft-Lamberts. This is still bright, but lacks the pop that you would expect if you’re used to this TV in its brighter mode. That said, if you watch this TV in a dark room, it’s well worth it, not least for the drop in black level that also goes down by half.
    Jason

Comment

• moe32274
      • Nov 2005

The two conflicting articles are what prompted me to post here. I'd like to close down the iris (and, dangerously, I now know how to do it), but I want to know exactly what I'm getting into.

What do you recommend?

BTW . . . I'm a Rotel guy just like you . . the brains of my system is the RSX 1057.

Maurice.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Quite franky unless you live next door to the sun the stock light output is too bright IMO especially for night/dark room viewing. That there would be enough reason to activate the iris IMO. But it makes sense that if light output is cut overall that EVERYTHING would be lower across the board, IMO the black level should go down as well. Besides what's the worse that can happen, if you don't find the results pleasing, simply change the setting back after
        Jason

Comment

• moe32274
          • Nov 2005

Update:

I closed the iris on my HLS5087W.

Excellent results: Picture looks great in dim / dark room. Much less eye fatigue.

Glad I did it.

Thanks for the advice,

Moe.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Glad to hear :T Should be a beutiful picture now :P
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"