• Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

Led Dlp ???

I saw some RPTV that where LED DLP ??

I never heard of them ??

Are they a newer tech ?

How are they ?
    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I've heard some mixed reviews on them but on paper they seem to be pretty cool and a step in the right drirection (no colour wheels, wider colour gamut and WAAAY longer "bulb" life).

Have a look at some in-store and let us know what you think
    Jason

Comment

• wildfire99
      • Aug 2005

I took a look at one earlier this week. No rainbows (and I can see it on every DLP with a color wheel). Two things bugged me... first it wasn't as bright, but that could be a settings issue. But the second thing was weird, because the picture just didn't seem 'stable'. The best way to describe it is like a fluorescent light, which is flickering but so fast you can't quite see it directly. That was before I even knew it was an LED RPTV.

Other than that, they sound awesome on paper. I'll have to take another look at one and see if I am just wanting to see something or if it's a real issue. The Mitsu DLP RPTVs for some reason didn't seem to show rainbowing without really looking for it.
      - Patrick
      "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Once fully developed I think these may remove a lot of my objections to single chip DLP- excepting the dithering issues in dark gradients which are a function of the limitations of drive bandwidth to a single chip trying to do multiple colors with very narrow PWM modulation in order to get the dark end of the gray scale.

What REALLY would be impressive is if they switched to six color LED';s and say, three chips; then the color gamut could be executed very well; this kind of technology is being developed for high accuracy LCD displays for uses such as photography.

When you compare the light spectra from LED's, UHP bulbs, CCFL, and Xenon lamps you'll realize why most of these sources have a ways to go before they get to the performance of Xenon lamps; it's an interesting topic, there was a good paper on this in the SIL (Strategies in Light) conference on high brightness LED's that I attended last February.

I have a newer DLP projector for my business stuff, and while it has good contrast ratio for a digital, DVI inputs, and very good color rendering with the color profile provided on my Mac for that Optoma model, the rainbows make it unwatchable for me with program material with high contrast and action.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"