X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tabby
    • Feb 2007

Largest set worth the price difference?

Is going from the 60" to the 70" Sony or the 65" to the 73" Mitsubishi (or any combo--from 65" Mit to the 70" Sony) worth the huge price difference for those last few inches? I think the difference is about $2000. That's ALOT to me.

Thanks.
    Tab
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well if it's "alot to you", then it is.

Way to many variables for a definitive answer, viewing distance, video sources, visual acuity, financial situation...those are all pretty "you" dependant
    Jason

Comment

• Tabby
      • Feb 2007

Yeah, I guess they are..... It doesn't matter to hubby, only to me.

Thanks.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well that said bigger is always better :lol: But if the size, seating distance or price etc don't work for you, then they don't work. 60-something inches isn't exactly "small" either
        Jason

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hi Tabby, welcome to The Guide! :welcome:

As Jason just alluded to, a 60" screen is quite big enough for most rooms - at least in my opinion. I'm running a 50" plasma (resolution is 1365x768 ) with a viewing distance of about 10' and that suits me and my visual acuity perfectly. What distance will you be sitting from the screen?

As fast as the screen technology is improving I'm not sure I'd spend the extra thousands when you can have a fine set now without breaking the bank and save that extra amount to put towards the next-great-thing that comes along - if you are so inclined.

Just my two cents. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Hi Tabby,

I'm with David Meek here. Unless you've got bags of money to spare the best piece of equipment to buy is often the model that has just been superceded. It usually offers the best price performance and is frequently only marginally less capable than the latest-and-greatest model. There are exceptions of course (e.g. when the latest model has a new feature that you need) but generally this approach is a sensible policy when buying equipment. Don't forget that the latest-and-greatest model that you just paid a fortune for will soon be superceded itself and you'll be wondering whether it was worth the substantial extra money.

Nigel.

Comment

• Tabby
              • Feb 2007

Thanks David and Nigel. Those are my thoughts.....ESPECIALLY since there's always the chance we'll get relocated in the next 2-5 years. It'd be harder fitting a HUGE TV in a new home (not designed for it) than a smaller one. Of course, 60" is still huge to me, but if we hadn't spent a fortune on it (saving the $2K difference), I might not be so upset to see it "left behind", etc.

Tabby

Comment

• pbarach
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tabby
                Is going from the 60" to the 70" Sony or the 65" to the 73" Mitsubishi (or any combo--from 65" Mit to the 70" Sony) worth the huge price difference for those last few inches? I think the difference is about $2000. That's ALOT to me.

Thanks.
                Tab
                If you are comparing two displays with the same native resolution, the pixels themselves are going to be larger on the bigger of the two screens. If you are sitting too close for the screen size, the larger pixels won't be such a good thing...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"