Choosing--Sony 70" or Mitsubishi 73" ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tabby
    • Feb 2007

Choosing--Sony 70" or Mitsubishi 73" ???

We're finishing our basement to include a "TV room" and would like the biggest screen w/ best picture and still not break the bank. We would go with front projection/screen but one of us likes to read while the other watches TV, so lighting is an issue with that route.

Anyway, I've seen the Sony SXRD XBR series, albeit at 60", and thought it was a great picture. I've also seen the Mit 65" (don't know if it was the Diamond series or not, though), and it had a good pic. BUT, I've not seen the two side-by-side for comparison, nor the larger versions of either.

I know the Sony 70" is about $6000. I don't know what the Mit 73" goes for. Any ideas?

Anyone know anything about either of these and can give me an opinion/advice?

Thank you!
    Tabby
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I've seen the 70 inch in action a few times and even in store "torch" mode, it looks great (not so with many other TVs) so I can only imagine it would look even better properly set up. I'm not familiar with the Mitsubishi (they're not sold in Canada) but I have a hard time imagining it could have a substantially better picture. Still, even without seeing the Mitsubishi, I would have to say the "game" is the Sony's to lose (compared to any other 60 + inch RPTV I've seen). I don't have room for anything bigger than 50 (possibly 55) inches and SSE is something I find bothersome (if you don't know what it is, don't bother looking it up--ignorance can be bliss), so the XBR line is not an option for me (which is too bad as it has the least SSE I've seen--little enough that I could live with it). Naturally, this is only my opinion and I'm by no means an expert. You might also want to give the JVC 70ish incher a try. I've read great things about them and look forward to giving one a serious viewing.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I too would likely give the nod to the Sony (but again Mits isn't available up here). I also agree you should look at the JVC units and if you're interested in DLP (like the Mits) look at the Samsung units.
      Jason

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

while mitsubishi makes some of the best dlps around i just feel that the tech is inferior to the sxrd

if i am not mistaken dlp still uses wobbulation to display 1080p ( ie 540Px 960)

my only direct comparison was last years xbr (comparable to this years xbr2) to last years flagship mitsubishi

i felt the mitsubishi's picture popped more but the sxrd was just sooo much cleaner and overall appealing
        the sxrd also has an iris that can give it more contrast (pop) at the expense of brightness (not something you need at home)

the sxrd has refresh rates that rivals plasmas- dlps avoid that spec for good reason

dlps tend to be a little less reliable from my experience as a whole

it say on paper and visually the sxrd xbr2 is the way to go
        they also include a spare bulb now

jvcs have always been nice and i wouldnt question someone labling thier's as the best- but they historically have problems with their bulbs- ive been told its been rectified though

but with that said the sonys had a problem that after a long time on display the corners would get green!- it was said to be sympomatic of a worn out bulb but I was never able to confirm that

i no longer know price comparisons so if there is a possibility that the jvc may be justifiable as more worth while due to cost

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by peterS
          if i am not mistaken dlp still uses wobbulation to display 1080p ( ie 540Px 960)
          In RP only (nitpick).

I'd look at the Sony and JVC as well.

BB

Comment

• Tabby
            • Feb 2007

Thanks for the replies. But, gee--you go and throw another brand at me! :-) I'm overwhelmed as it is--paint colors, carpet color, which built-in cabinets (for TV), etc. I originally only knew of the Sony 70", and finding the Mit at 73" now has me having to choose something else. And you're right, Ovation--ignorance can be bliss!

Thanks,
            Tabby

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"