X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lancef
    • Jan 2007

periodic loss of HD signal OTA

When recieving HD signals over the air I get an occasional loss of signal for 2 or 3 seconds and the screen goes blank. Any ideas as to why I lose the signal. I have a 50 IN SONY LCD with an 80 in boom/32 element antenna roof mounted. I am roughly 28 to 30 miles from transmisson tower.

Thanks
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

your signal is weak
    not much you can do if you already have a rooftop antenna

Comment

• lancef
      • Jan 2007

So when Radio Shack says the antenna I bought has a range of 70 miles they are just full of it? Some people indicate getting stations as far away as
      48 Miles with the model I have.

What about a pre-amp? Would/could that help?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by lancef
        So when Radio Shack says the antenna I bought has a range of 70 miles they are just full of it? Some people indicate getting stations as far away as
        48 Miles with the model I have.

What about a pre-amp? Would/could that help?
        You could try to see if it could be aimed a bit better but otherwise depending on what tree's, hills, buildings, distance etc are in the way and the strength and quality of the transmitter's signal...you may get drop outs...
        Jason

Comment

• lancef
          • Jan 2007

Thanks, I'll try to re-allign.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Don't they always tell you the max range is something like 30 miles for OTA. I know HD signals aren't going to be too effect much beyond that.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

they probably read what the box said- which may be true under ideal conditions

9/10 customers who insisted on getting hd via antenna experienced this or worse from my experience

you may notice that some channels come in where others are problematic, suggesting that you receive one tower better than an other which may be on the other side of town which would mean you need to adjust the antenna for certain channels

in addition many tuners built into hdtvs vary from pretty bad to unusable even with a direct feed from a media box

you may have more success using an external tuner
              the one on the direct tv h20 box is actualy very good but i do not know if it will work w/o activating the card (worth a try though)

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by PewterTA
                Don't they always tell you the max range is something like 30 miles for OTA. I know HD signals aren't going to be too effect much beyond that.
                I'm pulling in one from about 45 miles away, but it's at full power and that's the flip side. Just because a signal should go so far, doesn't mean the station is pushing it that hard. That one comes in stronger then the one 6 miles away.

Before Katrina knocked crap around I could occasionally pickup some Mobile, Al and New Orleans stations 90+ miles away.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"