X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shawn Parr
    • Feb 2006

Aquos LC37D42 experiences?

Hello all, I'm considering purchasing an Aquos LC37D42 LCD 37" TV. Anyone here have any hands on experience and opinions with these?

TIA
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Sharp makes some of the better LCD's out there IMO but other than in-store I haven't had a lot of hands on time myself. The 26" and 32" sets on my short list for possible bedroom sets though
    Jason

Comment

• Shawn Parr
      • Feb 2006

I saw a 40 series at a box store yesterday, as well as one of the newer 1080p 46" sets (don't remember the number as it would be out of my price range).

I hate looking at TV's in the stores though as they are usually set up so poorly. I've heard good things about the Aquos sets, that's why I'm looking into them. I was just hoping to find some real life experience from more advanced users that you usually find on a Cnet type place. This set seems new enough there aren't even reviews there yet.

Turns out though that my plans have changed. Instead of getting the TV now, I bought my son his first guitar, and I'm finishing up my Anthony Gallo speaker system that I had planned on for the last 6 years. Long story on that one. I will be getting a pair of A'Diva Ti's to supplement my current Nucleus Micros. While I won't be getting HDTV goodness, my music and movies will be a bit nicer...

EDIT: forgot to mention, I've heard that the 40 series (LCxxD40) are actually made by Orion for Sharp and are not up to the quality of the other Aquos sets. Something to maybe look out for.

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

Today I saw the Aquos LC46D62U next to a Bravia and I can say that the Aquos was QUITE nicer (and might have made me change my plans)!!

any ideas why Aquos are nicer and (a little) cheaper than the Bravia sets ?
        - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Shawn Parr
          • Feb 2006

That's interesting. Whenever I see any Aquos in a store they are usually one of the worst looking sets.

I don't have a tendency to play with them in the store though, so I don't know if that would have an impact. Of course the last time I saw a Bravia in a store, it wasn't connected to a video feed...

They are cheaper because they aren't selling the Sony name. As for better, I think Sony has done a lot of sitting on its laurels for a number of years now. I'm not sure about this set, but I know Sharp just opened a new plant in Japan to hopefully produce higher quality LCD sets. Most of the new 1080p sets are from there I believe.

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Tha Freak
            Today I saw the Aquos LC46D62U next to a Bravia and I can say that the Aquos was QUITE nicer (and might have made me change my plans)!!

any ideas why Aquos are nicer and (a little) cheaper than the Bravia sets ?
            to be fair, off axis the aquos looks horrible
            Last edited by peterS; 03 February 2007, 02:34 Saturday.

Comment

• Tha Freak
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by peterS
              to be fair off axis the aquos looks horrible
              I don't sit fair off axis... :W

seriously, what do you mean by that ?
              - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

in regard to the LC46D62U
                off axis the picture gets a white sheen to an almost extreme extent by current standards

sonys dont do that at any price point

as to the original question i dont know as i havent seen it but i generally like thier offerings

Comment

• Shawn Parr
                  • Feb 2006

Peter, how far off axis are you referring to. Technically 1º is off axis, but most people wouldn't consider that to be. Not that I doubt you, I'm just curious what your experience is. If it is a problem at 30 or 50 degrees than that is pretty considerable, if it doesn't happen until 150 degrees or so that I would consider it minor, especially in my anticipated setup.

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Shawn Parr
                    Peter, how far off axis are you referring to. Technically 1º is off axis, but most people wouldn't consider that to be. Not that I doubt you, I'm just curious what your experience is. If it is a problem at 30 or 50 degrees than that is pretty considerable, if it doesn't happen until 150 degrees or so that I would consider it minor, especially in my anticipated setup.
                    im referring to the 1080p version- i doubt the 720p does that
                    while i dont have any exigence with your model i generally like there 720p offerings a lot and recommended only sony xbr (almost double the price then) over it if performance was the ultimate goal

to awnser the question
                    it is extreme at 150 but progresses linearly from 0 degrees if that helps

again
                    i really like the 1080p version as i saw one on a hard drive that looked unbelievably real- i think it beats anything in its price range (westinghouse, toshiba, samsung) but there are reasons the sonys cost more

when shopping for an hd tv you have to realize they all have there quirks unless you want to pay premium prices

in the 720p world sharp was one of my favorites
                    i am more familiar with the LC-xxD40U series

Comment

• Tha Freak
                      • Jul 2003

Would I then be better with a Sony SXRD 50", not the XBR one but the KDS50A2000 (the 1080P one) instead of the Aquos ??
                      - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"