X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

is anyone else having trouble with direct tv

I have been having a lot of issues with audio droping out and sending digital noise through my speakers when it does it (cant be good)

also hdmi is unusable as i get artifacts above and below the picture 50% of the time

both of which are known issues on Dtv's end but they will "recomend" a new reciever anyways

now ive been reading that there tivo service has gone to the crapper since december

97% customer satisfaction :roll:
    damn 2 yr "lease" contract
    much happier with cable and payed less!
  • Shawn Parr
    • Feb 2006

Everyone on DirecTV has been having issues since December 14th. Check the DBSTalk.com forums.

I had a perfectly working DVR+ (R15-300) that started freaking out that week. Supposedly some of the DVR's (especially the HD ones) were having significant issues. They decided to roll out new software and at the same time change something about the satellite stream. The issue for those of us that didn't have issue before is that the old software doesn't like the new data stream, and DirecTV hasn't sent out the new software for everyone yet. I was told last night that I should have the new software by the 24th. 4 days ago it was supposed to be by the 16th.

If you do have a DVR, you may have to do a full erase (which wipes all your recorded shows) to get it to behave, even with the new software. Supposedly using the search function to record rather than the Guide grid will exacerbate the issue significantly.

Over the weekend I reformatted and have had only one crash since then. The crash was last night, so we'll see how the next few days go. Between the 14th of Dec. and the format I was rebooting about 6 times a day.

Good luck.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Mine's been okay--a few quirks.

I'm moving in May, and DirecTV will need to offer me one heck of a deal to keep me as a customer. We'll have to see what other options I'll have for TV.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

My 1 year service agreements on new equipment I purchased are all up, so wouldn't you know, m HD units are performing just fine. Maybe it's equipment based. I have only used one of mine the last while truthfully. (I have 2)

I do have the significantly expensive at the time HD recorders that came from BB.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Shawn Parr
          • Feb 2006

I'm glad you guys are relatively trouble free, and I hope you stay that way. I never had to see a forum about DirecTV before December 14th, and since then my service has been terrible. It has gotten so bad that when I called in they automatically refunded my DVR fees without even asking about it!

In my experience companies don't tend to be that generous unless there is shenanigans going on.

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

now i dont get channel 242

the tech suport suggest i "buy a new cable"
            i suggested i just get cable :roll:

Comment

• Shawn Parr
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by peterS
              the tech suport suggest i "buy a new cable"
              A couple of people on DBS are now reporting that DirecTV is requiring having a tech sent out to check their cables. Both people have multiple receivers and only one of them is misbehaving. :roll:

I was just told I should get the new software for my R15-300 next Wednesday. That was after being told that if I didn't have it by this Monday (the 16th) that I should call in because 'something is wrong.'

Which receiver do you have?

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

i have the hd20-600

more channels missing now

here are my current gripes 6 months into my contract as a warning to anyone in the market for hd service

still no cbs in hd due to contract dispute (was told this would be fixed 5 months ago)
                hdmi is unusable
                was promissed more hd channels by december- so far none
                most hd is over compressed (not sure if its dtvs fault but still sucks)
                audio drop out
                the cost exceeds cable which would have included dvr (didnt feel like paying 300+ to lease an hd dvr from dtv)

uhhhh hopefully they can fix this for me or i may try getting out of the contract

Comment

• Shawn Parr
                  • Feb 2006

I believe the HD20 is one of the boxes having a lot of trouble. IIR that box has had so many software upgrades that they now have a program where you can call in to request newer software when it is released for testing rather than either having it install automatically, or having to wait for a full release version to autoload.

Comment

• Shawn Parr
                    • Feb 2006

Apparently I magically got the newest software update last night. Honestly since doing a reformat I have only had one crash, but I've also been babying the thing.

One issue that immediately popped up: One of my series links got changed from keep all to keep 5 episodes. And it deleted the one episode of Good Eats I wanted to re-watch tonight so I could be ready for a marathon cooking session tomorrow. It wasn't even the oldest recorded episode! I think it is mad at me for babying it too much or something.

Even worse then that, one SL I have that is set to only keep 5 has 8 episodes recorded right now. So it kept those to delete the one friggen' show I wanted to see!

I'm not sure whether to be super angry or just amused.

Comment

• peterS
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

well after 6months they decide it was the satelite all along
                      they threw the old one in my yard w/o telling me

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"