Are there any Inexpensive Fixed frame screens?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Are there any Inexpensive Fixed frame screens?

I'm getting the Optoma HD70 next month and am looking around at screens. I deffinately want Fixed Frame and around 90-110" 16:9. I don't really want to spend more then about 500 bucks though. Thought I would see what you guys could dig up :B Seems like I'll have to end up building one though....Maybe the paint system I've heard about.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yes, people build their own for pretty cheap. I don't know details, I bought mine.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• riceaterslc
      • Aug 2006

have you looked at carada screens? they may be a bit out of your price range but they get really good reviews, especially for the price
      chris

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yeah I looked at them, they are pretty up there in terms of my budget. Over half the price of my projector. Seems like the only cheaper screens are the pull down ones and I don't need a pull down and I like the look of a fixed frame much better.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well I think I'm just going to build a screen. You guys wouldn't happen to know anyone that sells actual screen material other then SMX would you? I used blackout cloth before and I thought there could be some improvement? I read up some reviews on the Goo Screen system and it seems that if you don't apply it just right it doesn't turn out good at all. A friend of mine confirmed this when their neighbor were doing a screen for their home theater and he said the Goo System just did not work out good at all.

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Hello Dougie85,

You may want to try over at avsforum, they have a DIY screen section, that may help you.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I'll second the Carada recommendation for a professional screen from one of our advertisers, but if you must seek a cheaper fixed solution, how about removing a pull down screen out of it's case and frame mounting it? I have one I'll sell you it's brand new, it came with my projector last time as an included item. But I'll let you come to me if you are interested. It's a Draper screen.

You may also just contact Carada, and explain to him your budget, perhaps he'll have a recommendation.
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Rich Gibson
                • Jan 2007

Hi,

I've posted elsewhere a comment on homebuilt screens. I've built several and they don't have to cost over $100.00. I photographed the construction and would be happy to share the images and process.

Thanks, Rich

Comment

• howburger
                  • Jul 2005

Wilsonart Designer White Laminate

I recently built a 108 X 46 235:1 screen made from Wilsonart Designer White Laminate. I bought a 5 X 10 sheet from HD for about $100. Cut it to size with a razor knife, backed it with 1/4" pegboard, framed it with 1 X 3 MDF, wrapped the frame with black velvet to absorb light spill. All told, about $160. I'm sorry I do not have it picture documented, but, the AVS DIY screen forum will give you everything you need to build it.

Harold
                  Because I'm the man in black.........

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Yeah thats what I've been thinking is the Wilsonart material. I might go the Designer Grey though...not sure.

Comment

• slowrey
                      • Aug 2006

Get a Carada and be done with it. They aren't that much over your price you've budgeted. Doing a DIY can be nice but invest in a good screen.
                      ____

Sean

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Well the DIY will be about 160 bucks....So unless there is a Carada screen for that price :B

Comment

• clearwaterms
                          • Nov 2006

do a search on ebay, I found several companies that sell screen material and you just build a frame and stretch it over the frame.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Most of it is just blackout cloth that you can get from the fabric store. The Wilson Art stuff is said to be much better and I have used the blackout cloth before and its ok but I think it could be a lot better. After all quality screens aren't everything as the SMX material started out as a DIY thing he found a material and then realized it outperformed the other audio screens and so he ordered a lot of it and started selling it. The reviews on the Wilson Art claims that it out performs a lot of the name brand screens and for 160 bucks its worth a try for me.

Comment

• clearwaterms
                              • Nov 2006

can somebody post a picture of the wilson art stuff? i am curious to see what it looks like as I am unaware of anything like that

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Look here a whole thread on it

And here are the tests

Lots of screen shots

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                                  • Jul 2006

Back when that brilliant Ericglo recommended the Wilsonart screens, he considered it a good, inexpensive, non-paint alternative to the manufacturer's screens. Behr UPW is a good paint alternative, but the results can vary depending on your painting skills and equipment. If you have little to no light, then DW is the choice. If you have ambient light, then Fashion is probably the best.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"