X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clementray
    • Jul 2005

Projection Screen: Fixed vs. Pulldown

I am currently looking into purchasing a front projection unit but am confused as to which screen I should purchase. I am wishing to continue using my 42" Plasma for TV and the screen solely for movies. I do not have separate areas to put the two so they will have to cohabitate. I have reviewed both Fixed and Pull-down screens and my preference is fixed. However, with a pull down screen I could set it up to cover 50% of the plasma during viewing periods.

Does anyone else use both units and how distracting is it watching a movie with the plasma sitting just underneath? Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

I have a fixed screen with a standard CRT (tube) TV below it. When the lights are out and the projector is running, the only time the standard TV is distracting is if it is on at the same time.

One reason to go fixed screen instead of pull down is that with a fixed screen it is a lot easier to keep the projection surface flat. Some pull downs that I've seen tend to get "wavey" over time, even with bracing structures that pull down with the screen material. Now THAT can be distracting,

However, that is not universally the case, and some materials such as DaLite's High Power screen overcome the potentially bad effects of a wavey surface by the retro-reflective nature of the screen surface.

There's something to be said for letting the screen size and shape dictate which type (fixed or pull down) that you get -- it would be better to get the right sized pull down screen than have to compromise and get a "postage stamp" to fit a fixed one on the wall.

But if your space can accomodate the full size 16:9 or 2.35:1 fixed screen that you want as well as your plasma, then that would be my choice, too.

Good luck,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If you're going to go with a pull down get one that's tab tensioned. These are more expensive then their cheaper counterparts but they pull the screen material tight once rolled down to help remove those wavy lines Burke was talking about.

In my case I went with a fixed screen that I swing up and mount to the ceiling when its not in use so that the regular TV below can be viewed. I have the back side of my screen covered with a black cloth that makes it blend very discetely into the ceiling when its in the up position (I have black ceiling tiles). Just another non conventional answer to a common problem

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"