X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HareBrained
    • Jul 2008

New Inexpensive Small MTM

This design came together quick once I got to the point of selecting drivers. I spent several months reading and learning how to design xovers, here and over at PE Tech-Talk.

I had thought about using many drivers and many configurations but couldn't resolve (in my own mind) various issues. And then Zaph released the ZMV5. I thought, "Maybe I could do a ZMVM5." But the MCM 5.25" driver requires a lot of volume and I wanted small. Then Zaph noted the MCM 4" cast frame driver, 55-3853, would drop into the Bargin Mini (aka. ZBM4). Ding. The MCM 55-3853 works very well in a small vented enclosure (F3 is equivalent to the 5.25" driver in a third the size).

Zaph says about the ZBM4, "This system represents a very good value, and performs excellently regardless of price. Small, smooth and clean sum it up nicely. On the negative side, there are really only two issues: output is severely limited when running full range and driver mounting is somewhat difficult." This was stated about the stamped frame MCM driver. The cast frame exhibits slightly better distortion. An MTM of the 55-3853 would solve the first problem and using Nik Brewer (CNC operator) solved the second.

The tweeter was simple, the Vifa DQ25SC-16 as used in the ZMV5. The performance for the price could not be questioned and Zaph proved it's compatibility with the MCM drivers.

So, the result:

The tweeter high-pass circuit should be familiar to those who've looked at the ZMV5, as it's very similar: 2nd order, 8.2uf cap in series and 0.3mH coil (0.26 ohms) with an l-pad of 3ohms in series and 6 ohms in parallel. My design uses less baffle step compensation than the ZMV5 justifying the lower coil inductance and the twin 4" drivers are more efficient resulting in the different padding. The impedance of the tweeter and circuit is quite respectable and shouldn't cause any problems. As Zaph did with the ZMV5, I left the top octave alone. And I haven't heard any issues in doing so.

Although the MCM 55-3853 is capable of being crossed higher, I noticed in Zaph's measurements that the 3rd, 4th and 5th order distortions start rising above 2kHz. So, I followed the ZMV5 lead. In the end, the xover point is at 2100 Hz. This also helps with appropriate C2C spacing.

The pair of 55-3853 drivers summed quite nicely into 87db sensitivity. Zaph used a 2nd order low pass in the ZBM4 and a 3rd order in the ZMV5 (the 55-3870 is also a cast frame, metal cone driver that is essentially the big brother to the 55-3853). I tried both and was having some issues with impedance dropping too low. In the end, I used a 3rd order electrical with a Zobel and as you can see above, there is no issue. Minimum impedance is at 3.6 ohms, a classic 4-ohm number. This is a little more "complex" than I would have liked but there is no real fault with it other than parts count. The reverse null is ~40db down. The components for the M's are (using PCD nomenclature):
    L2 => 0.75 mH (0.42 ohms)
    C2 => 15 uF
    L3 => 0.15 mH (0.16 ohms)
    C5 => 24 uF (Zobel RC)
    R7 => 5.1 ohms (Zobel RC)

For my build, I happened to have a couple of 0.1 uF high quality caps that I used to bypass the 15 uF electrolytic. I don't know if it make a difference in the sound but I had'em at hand, so why not. For the 24 uF, I used 2 parallel 12uF caps. These numbers represent about a -4db baffle step diffraction (-6 to -7db is normal). I did this be my speakers could not be place away from other larger objects. This turned out to be a lucky guess as I wouldn't change anything.

Cost wise, it was $55 for the drivers and $25 for the xover, per speaker. Shipping was free but nothing else was on sale. So this is an inexpensive speaker.

The enclosure is 7.5 liters net volume vented with a 2.5"x1" slot port that's 6.75" long. I lined the walls and added a little Acousta-Stuff in the corners and behind the tweeter. The baffle is 13"x6". All drivers are off-center of the vertical axis. The port is on the front, next to the tweeter. The 55-3853's are above and below. This may be difficult to envision but pictures will be posted soon. The cool thing is that the other 5 pieces each have an 11.5" dimension, meaning one cut and easy fitting: #3 11.5"x6" and #2 11.5"x10.75". And as 0.75" of the port is in the front face, the port can be cut to 6". This is a simple, table-saw speaker. Since I had my baffles machined by Nik, it was a very simple build.

I will state now, and this will be obvious in the pics, that I misquoted the outer dimension of the DQ25. It should be 2.56" (and not 2.625"). If you order the baffles from him, and I will say the pincushion cutout was fantastic, make sure he's incorporated the change.

So, how do they sound? As Zaph said, smooth and clean. They're very articulate with the DQ25 and the MCM drivers are clear. Every instrument sounds like itself with secondary reverberations sounding quite natural. There doesn't seem to be any coloration from the speaker itself. The bass extension is very good and has been improving as the drivers break-in. I was able to greatly decrease the xover point and level of my sub (more so an indication of the poor quality of the other speakers). Integration between the mains and the sub is superb (although the sub is getting replaced in a couple of months). I listened with my AVR set to both large and small. The upper midrange did suffer a bit when set to "large" but with more extension and still very listenable. If I didn't have a sub, I'd use them full range. BTW, Fb is ~57Hz with an F3=~48Hz. Xmax occurs with ~20W.

The MTM is not obviously loud. I was listening to some music and wandered into another room to fetch something and realized the output was much greater than my other speakers. But sitting in front of them, at that level, there was no strain from the speakers, or fatigue in my ears. By the same token, when turned down, there was no change in the frequency response. Everything came across quite even. Nothing extra in the upper end and no decrease in the midbass. It also seems to have a decent off-axis response (determined by ear). Vertical lobing is there but wasn't noticeable (i.e. listening for drops in level) until standing within 1.5 meters (closer than the listening positions in my room).

The MTM does have the "air" of some high-end speakers I've heard but that's not a fault, just a reflection of what went into it. This is a great sounding speaker built from inexpensive components.

This isn't a monitor. Inside of a meter, the multiple drivers becomes obvious. This is not for a large room. My room is 11x14 and it's perfect. IMO, it would work well in a room up to 15x20 but I think it would "get lost" in anything bigger.

Note that this was designed entirely with simulation. I don't have the capability to measure, either the drivers or the speakers. And considering how happy I am with the results, I know I was lucky. Could this speaker be improved? I think there are a few tweaks that would improve the "weight" of the midrange and it may be better without the Zobel if the response could be aligned without it. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy them for a while. I have a sub to design and build, and then I have some other speakers to look at (my computer speakers seem too dynamic now.)

So, there you have most of the story. Pics and some graphics will be forthcoming. Feel free to ask any questions.
    John
  • kevinp.
    • Apr 2008

Very nice, looking forward to pics. I am confused about one thing- not just from your design, I'm confused about this in all the designs I see. Where is the BSC? Shouldn't it show up in the graph? If the woofers sum to 87db and the BSC is 4 db, shouldn't the tweeter level be 83db?

Comment

• HareBrained
      • Jul 2008

I understand your confusion. It took me about a month to figure it out.

Baffle Step Compensation (BSC) is the alterations made to the crossover to account for the baffle step diffraction. The diffraction is a function of the baffle width, driver placement on the baffle and baffle-edge shape. The effect is a decrease in output for all frequencies below the wavelength represented by the driver/baffle relationships. The following image is an example of the diffraction before compensation (from Zaph's ZMV5):

Without compensation, the droop below 1000Hz would result in a very soft midbass. So, in simulating the system for crossover design, the diffraction is summed into the driver frequency response and thus compensated though the crossover.

The example above is actually for a speaker in a free-field environment. But if the speaker is going to be placed close to other object or a wall, the amount of diffraction is decreased by the environment, and thus the speaker requires less compensation. The amount of reinforcement by the environment is difficult to quantify. Surround speakers are typically placed on the wall or even in a corner, and would require very little compensation.

Now, just to confuse things, if you're developing a near-field monitor (such as a computer speaker), having compensation could result in too much midbass because sitting close to the speaker does not allow the transition to free-space to impact what you're hearing.
      John

Comment

• HareBrained
        • Jul 2008

So here's a picture. Obviously, it needs finishing. You'll also see that I made the sides too short (they're 10" instead of 10.75"). That was a mistake but it doesn't impact the sound.

The way the pieces assemble behind the baffle is simple. I put the port side down and attached the top and bottom, then the baffle and port, followed by the non-port side and lastly the back. I built the port outside of the box from 1/4" MDF with a pair of 3/4" MDF posts that span side-to-side (4.5"). The posts support the 1" sides and are separated by the 3" roof of the port. I used the 1/4" MDF because that's what I had. Building it out of 3/4" would work fine.

I also have a capture of the sketch-up I sent to Nik. Note, it doesn't have the 1/2" round over and the center recess is too big, 2-9/16" is correct. {diagram has been updated to reflect correction}

I don't have any pics of the inside but I have yet to build the center channel and will be have some construction pics afterward.

I'm still considering flaring the port but it'd be for looks as the velocity isn't a problem.

John
        Last edited by HareBrained; 07 February 2009, 19:38 Saturday. Reason: Updated baffle pic.
        John

Comment

• bobhowell
          • Jul 2008

I am interested in the details. I am traveling and will check in on your progress.

I bought a bunch of drivers for ZBM4, but I have ruined 2 Tweeters(somebody took one out, maybe dusting. Don't want to press it) and now have to buy more @ $12.95 or switch some to this design. They were going to be surrounds but now I have found the HiVi B3N design for that and that frees up drivers for this. Always something.

Thanks for the great contribution to designs.

Bob Howell

Comment

• HareBrained
            • Jul 2008

Just a quick update. I'm still working on putting a drawing together for the xover. The xover is not complex but it would be nice for those who are interested.

They've been playing for a couple of weeks in my system and they've "loosened" up very nicely. All of the restraint that was in the new drivers is completely gone and the speakers now disappear ... almost. They're still not as "airy" as some more expensive systems but they've definitely gotten closer. For a small HT, they're great. They're dynamic, can get loud and very natural sounding.
            John

Comment

• bobhowell
              • Jul 2008

How is the xover drawing coming?

I'm looking at sealed and vented in Unibox. I will use with a RSS210HF 8" sub.

I keep reading it is easier to integrate with sealed. I have not done this before.

I have a 5L box that I can use for sealed. Would be nice.

Comment

• HareBrained
                • Jul 2008

I hope to have the xover diagram and cut drawings done this weekend. It's been an issue with my inability to use the software.

As for integrating with a sub, going sealed or ported has more to do with whether or not you have an active high pass filter before the amp. My old Denon receiver has one and my ported speaker integrates very will with my cheapo ported sub. Integrating with the RSS should be easy.

If you don't have an active filter, the F3 of these drivers in 5L will be 90-100Hz depending on how much fill material is used. The RSS should be able to meet that just fine. Ported, according to the design, has an F3~50Hz. This is what I have. I adjusted the level and active LP filter by ear with the receiver xover set to "small speakers", and the sub xover indicates about 70Hz. When I switched the receiver setting to large, the sub xover needed only a little nudge down to sound right. I can't think integrating the RSS would be any more difficult.
                John

Comment

• Ray_D
                  • Apr 2005

Near field

Now, just to confuse things, if you're developing a near-field monitor (such as a computer speaker), having compensation could result in too much midbass because sitting close to the speaker does not allow the transition to free-space to impact what you're hearing.[/QUOTE]

HB

I see you have Soundeasy. It has a provision for microphone distance. I do not see much of the effect you are writing about here at any distance that is likely for computer speakers.

Ray

Comment

• Ray_D
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bobhowell
                    I am interested in the details. I am traveling and will check in on your progress.

I bought a bunch of drivers for ZBM4, but I have ruined 2 Tweeters(somebody took one out, maybe dusting. Don't want to press it) and now have to buy more @ $12.95 or switch some to this design. They were going to be surrounds but now I have found the HiVi B3N design for that and that frees up drivers for this. Always something.

Thanks for the great contribution to designs.

Bob Howell
                    I assume you are talking about the NT1. The Dayton ND20FB-4 is the same size. I have made measurements in the ZBM4 and they are very close to the same FR. I have destroyed a couple NT1s accidentally. The ND20FBs look less fragile, but I have not poked them. The ZMB4s are great sounding speakers. I have built 17. I have two as my computer speakers.

Ray

Comment

• HareBrained
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Ray_D
                      HB

I see you have Soundeasy. It has a provision for microphone distance. I do not see much of the effect you are writing about here at any distance that is likely for computer speakers.

Ray
                      Actually Ray, I don't have SoundEasy. I use, and designed these using, PCD. It also has a listening distance and angle entry. But PCD expects any baffle step effects are already accounted for in the FRD and ZRD.

I'm not exactly sure what your "not see much" of which "effect". My comment was related to a discussion about baffle step diffraction. In the context of the comment, the baffle step diffraction is greatly reduced, and less baffle step compensation is required, when speakers are used nearfield and when used in close proximity with other objects, such as a TV or wall.
                      John

Comment

• Ray_D
                        • Apr 2005

Last Paragraph?

Originally posted by HareBrained
                        I understand your confusion. It took me about a month to figure it out.

Baffle Step Compensation (BSC) is the alterations made to the crossover to account for the baffle step diffraction. The diffraction is a function of the baffle width, driver placement on the baffle and baffle-edge shape. The effect is a decrease in output for all frequencies below the wavelength represented by the driver/baffle relationships. The following image is an example of the diffraction before compensation (from Zaph's ZMV5):

Without compensation, the droop below 1000Hz would result in a very soft midbass. So, in simulating the system for crossover design, the diffraction is summed into the driver frequency response and thus compensated though the crossover.

The example above is actually for a speaker in a free-field environment. But if the speaker is going to be placed close to other object or a wall, the amount of diffraction is decreased by the environment, and thus the speaker requires less compensation. The amount of reinforcement by the environment is difficult to quantify. Surround speakers are typically placed on the wall or even in a corner, and would require very little compensation.

Now, just to confuse things, if you're developing a near-field monitor (such as a computer speaker), having compensation could result in too much midbass because sitting close to the speaker does not allow the transition to free-space to impact what you're hearing.
                        Harebrained

Isn't this plot from Soundeasy? It sure looks like my Soundeasy graph.

I was referring to your last paragraph.

Do you really not have measurement capability? How do you get your FRD and ZMA data?

Ray

Comment

• HareBrained
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Ray_D
                          Harebrained

Isn't this plot from Soundeasy? It sure looks like my Soundeasy graph.

I was referring to your last paragraph.

Do you really not have measurement capability? How do you get your FRD and ZMA data?

Ray
                          Read the last sentence before the graphic, it's from Zaph's ZMV5 project.

I got my FRD and ZMA data by tracing the measurement graphs from Zaph's site using SPLTools. I used that data in spreadsheets tools to simulate/model my speaker.

To test the accuracy of the simulation process, I traced Zaph's ZMV5 drivers (IB measurements, not the in-box ones) and then used the Response Modeler and Passive Crossover Designer with parameters from Zaph's documented final design. And then compared the PCD output to Zaph's in-box final measurement. The sim was no more than 1db off at any location and a large part was spot on. Based on what I learned from that exercise, and some other basic guidelines, I designed and built this MTM. Pretty amazing when you think about it.
                          John

Comment

• HareBrained
                            • Jul 2008

All right, I have the xover diagrams and cut sheet (excluding the baffle, which is above, and Nik Brewer can cut for you.)

The tweeter high pass circuit:

The woofers low pass circuit:

And the cut sheet:

In cutting the enclosure pieces, rip the width leaving the piece it full length. This will keep you from ending up short because you forgot to account for the thickness of the saw blade.

I've also updated the baffle pic with the proper tweeter diameter.

If you end up building this, send me a PM. I'd like to hear your impressions of the build and of the speaker.
                            John

Comment

• BarryV
                              • Mar 2009

Did you consider using two of the MCM 55-1854's in series? They are the 4 ohm version of the 55-1853 (at least I think so):

55-1854:
                              Re: 3.3 ohms
                              Le: 0.48 mH
                              Q, fs, Vas: .32, 54 Hz, 5 l

55-1853:
                              Re: 6.8 ohms
                              Le: 0.78 mH
                              Q, fs, Vas: .38, 60 Hz, 5 l

If not, what would be the design differences? The crossover ought to be very similar to the ZBM4 with the exception of the L-pad.

I am asking because I am considering 4x ZBM4 w/ an MTM version of my own (highly borrowed) as part of a 5.1 setup for a small family room.

Thanks,

Barry

Comment

• HareBrained
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by BarryV
                                Did you consider using two of the MCM 55-1854's in series?

If not, what would be the design differences? The crossover ought to be very similar to the ZBM4 with the exception of the L-pad.

I am asking because I am considering 4x ZBM4 w/ an MTM version of my own (highly borrowed) as part of a 5.1 setup for a small family room.

Thanks,
                                Barry
                                No, I didn't consider it. I really wanted to use the cast-frame version. The thin stamped frame looked too flimsy to me. And the impedance, being 3.6 ohms for a very short frequency range, was not going to be a problem for my amp.

I wouldn't expect the 1854 to have exactly the same FR because the VC is different, but they may be similar enough. I don't see any harm in trying the ZBM4 xover with a series pair and comparing it to the ZBM4. I think because the summed impedance is slightly different, the response to the components would be slightly different. But over all it should be acceptable without measuring.

You could model the MTM by taking the 1853 data and adding an offset to it (there are free tools that do this.) Then run it thru Response Modeler for your box. Then, with the NT1 data, see whet the ZBM4 xover looks like in PCD. To determine the offset, I'd use the difference of the 2.83V predictions from Unibox for the two drivers.
                                John

Comment

• bobhowell
                                  • Jul 2008

Would it be dificult to make this in an MMtMM. It would then have 8ohms and easier for my system. Also, tall and thin. I would build sealed and pair it with a sub. Iam asking if it would be a big change in the crossover.

Comment

• HareBrained
                                    • Jul 2008

I'll take a look and get back to you.
                                    John

Comment

• HareBrained
                                      • Jul 2008

MMTMM Configurations

I was asked to look into doing the MCM 55-3853 + Vifa DQ25 MTM as a MMTMM in order to raise the impedance of the speaker, which has a minimum of 3.65 ohms at 250Hz.

I first simply loaded the original PCD file for the existing MTM and reconfigured for a 2+2 series/parallel wiring. From the attached graph, you can see it needs some work.

Next, I tried altering the xover for the woofers. From the attached FR & Z graphs, you can see it's not too bad. There is a 2db-max hump from 200-650Hz but I doubt it'll be too bad. Min impedance in this configuration is actually in the tweeter at about 4.4 ohms from 4000-6000Hz. Back down at 250Hz, the new impedance is 5.9 ohms. Although the driver response cross at 1750Hz, the actual Fc is at 2125Hz. The caveat about this design is that it assume the 4 woofers are in a line. This puts the outer drivers a little less than 8" from the tweeter (C2C distance). That corresponds to a frequency of ~1700Hz. This means there will be some combing in a very critical range so I don't advice this configuration. But for those who don't care, here's the new woofer xover:
                                      3rd order L/C/L --> 1mH(0R48), 7.5uF, 0.25mH(0R22)
                                      Zobel RC --> 8R, 25uF

Lastly, I used the 2.5way configuration. This is where the outer woofers will only be limited in the range they'll be playing and at 1700Hz, the woofers will be down ~12db. This should be enough to offset the combing affects. Overall, the frequency response is more linear in this configuration. The Fc is again ~2150Hz. Min impedance is 4.4 ohms in 4000-6000Hz but it's 6.6 ohms at 200Hz. This xover is a little more expensive because it requires a honkin' big inductor between the primary pair of woofers and the "point 5" pair. But if the impedance is more important than the money, this is a good way to go. The new woofer xover is as follows:
                                      3rd Order L/C/L --> 0.75mH(0R42), 7.5uF, 0.25mH(0R22)
                                      Zobel RC --> 8R, 25uF
                                      pt5 L --> 3.9mH(0R24) (modeled with P-Core)

I did check a couple of other pt5 coils and there were no significant changes with the 4mH(1R15) air-core. (There is a slight decrease in output below 200Hz.) Where this will come into play is the response in the box because of the additional series resistance. The more resistance, the larger the box needs to be, but you will get lower tuning. For sealed, you're looking at 10-12L. And for vented, 20-25L @ 50-47Hz.

I don't expect it to sound any different. The Fc is well within the range of this tweeter. It should be able to handle more power and thus more output (~6db) so ultimately, this would be a good design for larger rooms. Max power on the DQ25 is listed as 50W, which is about where the 4 3853's will hit their xmax, so I think this could be pushed quite a bit.

If you build it, let me know how it turns out. Take care.
                                      Attached Files
                                      John

Comment

• bobhowell
                                        • Jul 2008

I am studying it.

Thanks

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"