X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

I ordered a Olevia 37" LCD display

I figured that I'd be holding off on HT purchases for a while until I saw some of the black friday prices on LCD displays.

I got up at 6AM on Friday morning expecting that nobody would be out that early (OK I'm new to black friday shopping) and I saw that there were hundreds of people inside the store at 6:30AM and maybe 300 more people waiting out front in line.

The prices for these loss leaders were good enough for me to wait in the cold, but after about 20 minutes a store representative came out and told us people in line that all of the 32" and larger TVs were already sold out.

In the end I still ended up ordering the same display online (for around $125 more than the sale price) But it was still a good deal for me.

I ordered a Olevia 37" LCD display:

And even though it is not a name brand, or top of the line display, it will act as a decent computer monitor and second display replacing my many years old 27" JVC tube TV and Sony 24" CRT computer monitor.

I currently find that I'm either watching the tube TV or computer monitor now for casual DVD viewing, and this should be a good replacement for those tasks.

Plasma displays have always been pricey, even though the prices have dropped, and I've always been concerned about burn in as well, and LCD flat screen displays have quickly grown in size as they have shrunk in price. And it's hit a sweet spot for me. I debated getting a 32" model for aroun $150 cheaper, but opted for the 37" model in the end.

I went to Circuit City (who also had this display on sale, but sold out quickly) to see the monitor in person. I'm getting the one without the built-in tuner because I don't need it as my Direct TV DVR has a built in tuner and I don't need it for the computer. The Olevia 37" display looked comparable to the other 37" LCD TVs, even with DVD source material. And of course it looked stunning with HD material.

I should have it delivered in around a week or so, and then I'll report back with my thoughts on the picture quality and usability of the display then.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Let us know how it turns out :T
    Jason

Comment

• Vinny
      • Mar 2006

I have Olevia's first generation of 27" and quite disappointed me because of producing black(well it was a problem with all LCDs, but I had EIZO mon that works as good as CRT made a contrast). Now I just bought another smaller LCD for replacing it until 1080p comes out on similar sized screen. Olevia does have the potential to get better as it invested lots of new technologies to make the picture better recently.
      Let us know whether it's good or not, this is one of the manufacturer that worthwhile to support it to become one of the cheap but decent brand
      Pioneer KRP-500M
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Parasound 5125
      Oppo BDP-83
      Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
      SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

In the same way that early plasma displays had relatively poor contrast and black levels, early LCD displays had mixed picture quality. But as the plasma displays have improved, and the prices dropped, LCD displays have also improved and their size has grown and their price has dropped even more rapidly over the past 3 years.

I got my Olevia 37" display today and it really looks awesome!
        This new display is doing double duty as my computer/gaming monitor, and secondary HDTV display.

My lasting impresion is how bright the picture is. It literally lights up the room with the room lights off, and it's picture is unfazed when I turn the room lights on.

At 1360 X 768 resolution the Hi-def picture quality is outstanding. My front projector has similar resolution (and also looks great), but with that resolution on this 37" screen the picture is so sharp that I can comfortably watch HD programming from only 4' away and it still looks crisp and detailed. It really has that "looking through a window" clarity.

I cannot really comment about the NTSC scaling of the display because my HD Tivo box does upconversion to 720p, and I've been watching DVDs upconverted through the computer (which looks surprisingly good as well).

I'll try to follow up with some pics soon.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Nice deal on the new TV! Nice to hear that it looks good too.

It seems that quite a few people are claimimg good pictures from televisions that are not mfg by the big name brands. I myself have be curious to try 42" Sanyo plasma that Wal-mart has. Your satisfaction with your Olevia has nudged me to give the Sanyo a shot. Think I'll get it for christmas.

Anyway, congrats and looking forward to the pics!
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

It's important to do some research on no-name brands. When I looked up the Olevia 37" LCD display online I found that the LCD panel and most of the electronics were manufactured by LG/Philips. And they had been reviewed well by people who actually bought them as well. So it wasn't too much of a risk.

I had seen a 42" Panasonic TH-42PH9UK online for $1K, and then you just need to research the model and seller, and of course make sure that they have them in stock.

Plus it's also a good idea to actually look at the model that you are interested in firsthand to see how it looks in person. :T

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I fully agree with you. I've actually been looking at this model for almost two months. And I've been checking out reviews from actual users of the model I'm looking at.

The funniest part was my wife and I actually agreed (when we first saw it in the store) that the picture and looks of the unit were satisfying (a first for us to agree on electronics).

The big test is going to be comparing it to my 56" RCA rear projection HDTV. I'll see if the 1080i vs 720p is an issue for me picture wise. I'm not expecting it to be. If it is however, I'll just move it to the bedroom.
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dean McManis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • May 2003

You might be plesantly surprised. Because of the lenticular screen and optics of a CRT RPTV, you probably aren't actually getting over 720 lines of resolution regardless of the input resolution. So the two displays are probably pretty comparable with HDTV material, the trick would be to see how each deals with lower quality media like DVD and cable/DSS to see how well the internal scaler works.
                There is a fair chance that the newer display will be better in this regard because of how quickly the scaling chipsets and support electronics have advanced recently.
                But again the best and final judge will be your own eyes...And your wife's too.

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

You might be plesantly surprised. Because of the lenticular screen and optics of a CRT RPTV, you probably aren't actually getting over 720 lines of resolution regardless of the input resolution.
                  Hmmm, I never considered that. Very good point. Video has never been my strong point of this hobby. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm hoping that this unit will do a solid job with DVD and broadcast sources. It would be nice to get that big box (rptv) out of the soundstage. :T My room has too much light to consider a pj at this stage.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

BTW, here is some info on the Sanyo: https://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/...productID=1245

Comment

• Dean McManis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • May 2003

It bugs me a bit that they list that the Sanyo display does 720p (1280 X 720p) but the actual panel resolution is only 1024 X 768.
                      Most of the newer HD LCD and Plasma displays are at least 1360 X 768p resolution.

I saw a 46" Panasonic plasma display earlier this week at Costco for a similar price ($1399) as that Sanyo set, and the picture quality was great.

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Dean,

Sorry, I never meant to hijack your thread. Though, I do really thank you for all the guidance with this purchase!

It bugs me a bit that they list that the Sanyo display does 720p (1280 X 720p) but the actual panel resolution is only 1024 X 768.
                        This caught my attention as well. But, I was under the impression that resolution is only part of the equation for making a good picture??? But if you think I should look at sets 1360X768 and higher I would give them a look. I really need to stay below $1,300.00 though.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • May 2003

No problem John. :T

Resolution is certainly only one component in overall display picture quality, and it has a lesser value with non-HD sources, and also less effect when seen on a smaller screen from far away.

But for viewing HD material and even scaled DVDs (especially on a big screen or viewed up close) I could definitely see the difference between my previous 1024 X 768 resolution DLP projector and my current 1280 X 720 and 1360 X 768 projectors (and now this 37" LCD display).

The higher resolution (in those cases) is visibly better looking, plus since the 1360 X 768 and 1920 X 1080 displays are newer they also have a tendancy to have improved panel/electronics technologies with regard to contrast, refresh, scaling, brightness, black level, pixel gap, etc..

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Understood, and...it makes sense. Now for the for the rest of the story.

I had a conversation with my loving wife this morning. It seems that she has already put the Sanyo on layaway. She was going to surprise me for xmas. But after I started with the " I need to expand my televison search" talk this morning, she had to tell me about it. As the penalty for cancellation is a 15% restocking fee.

So, I am going to have to consider a new strategy here. Which means finding another set at Wal-Mart that fits the bill or, make the purchase and just return it.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • May 2003

Oops, sorry to cause any grief.

You have an amazing wife to do that for you.

My wife has a reasonable tolerance for my hobbies. She loves the home theater and movie watching, but has zero interest in the equipment side.

For me the concept of "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission" is more appropriate for HT purchases.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

You have an amazing wife to do that for you.
                                Agreed!

For me the concept of "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission" is more appropriate for HT purchases.
                                I'm trying real hard to do the right thing here! :B She's really trying to be lovingly involved with my hobby. And I am trying real hard not to hurt her feelings!!! 8)

Oops, sorry to cause any grief.
                                None what so ever my friend. Like I stated earlier, I really appreciate your input. I'll decide in a few days what's the best course to take.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Have fun on that high wire John! :rofl:
                                  Jason

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aud19
                                    Have fun on that high wire John! :rofl:
                                    Oh yea Jason I'm having a blast over here! :lol:

The good thing is, there's actually nothing wrong with my current tv so, I'm good to go there.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Update

Just to let you guys know. We got our money back on the Sanyo without penalty. And the wife was understanding as well. So, all is good.

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Goood to hear :lol:
                                        Jason

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • May 2003

Good news John. :T

It will be also good to hear what model you decide upon in the end. 8)

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"