X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

Need screen suggestions

I am almost ready to order my projector. Was planning on the panny 900 but now the new ones are out and I am leaning toward the sanyo Z5 since I can get it for 200.00 more(after rebate) than the 900.
    For screens I am looking at a manual pull-down right now but I have some concerns about the "waves" I keep reading about. Fixed frames are out since the screen will be front of a window.
    I also came across an Elite cinetension tab-tensioned motorized screen for around $750.00. Does anyone have any experience with these? I have read several posts that are hit or miss on thier other screens.
    Throw distance will be about 12' which according to projectorcentrals calc. I can roughly go anywhere from 60" to 120". I was thinking 84-92" range.
    Last edited by M.Roberts8; 12 November 2006, 19:43 Sunday.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Wow, the Z5 is out now? I'm behind in the times...

Just to ask, are the fixed screens out because you want to see through the window also sometimes? Or because you're concerned about light hitting the backside of the screen?

In general, when people are looking at a range of screen sizes, I always recommend people go for the biggest one in the range or at least the bigger end of the range, because:

1. Screens are a fixed technology, not like electronics, so if you buy it CORRECTLY, you won't have to ever upgrade.

2. I constantly hear from people, "You know, it would be nice to have a bigger screen." I've NEVER heard somebody say "I wish I had gone with a smaller screen."

3. Bigger is cooler.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I sit about 13-14 ft from my 92" screen. I'd like to go bigger, but I can see the SDE from about 10-11ft, so I think I'll stick to what I've got for now. BTW, I have a Z4...
      Danish

Comment

• M.Roberts8
        • Jan 2006

The gf wants the screen to disappear when we aren't using it and I don't like the idea of a hinging a fixed frame.Screen size or lack thereof is due to the following.
        SDE is a concern since the sanyo's have more of it than the panasonic's from what I have read.
        The Sanyo isn't as bright as the new AX100 either so I thought it might benefit from a smaller screen.
        The room is only a little over 11' wide on the screen end and the idea is for the screen to come down in between the mains and stop just over the CC.
        Bigger is cooler.
        I couldn't agree more but as long as I can spank my brothers 65" Mits I'm good :B . But I have to maintain the PQ since I always get the crt's are better speech. I just argue that I'll be able to carry my tv in one hand
        I haven't seen either(projector) in person I would have to go at least an hour away to even find a FP let alone the 2 I am interested in.
        The tab-tensioned screen I mentioned is 100" and if I measured right that is about the max I can fit in the area I am looking at. 750.00 for a motorized tensioned screen seems like a steal to me since the next closest one I found was a 92" for 1,950.00.
        I don't have the cash for the tensioned one right now, maybe I should go with a cheap pull down and pick up the elec. tensioned one later.

The da-lite Deluxe model B has a built in tensioning arm according to their site. Anyone familiar with it? It is different than the plain model b and about 40.00 more.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I've always gone the fixed route, but if waves bother you the tab tensioned models are certainly an option, though I have read from some users that they don't always work satisfactorily.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• M.Roberts8
            • Jan 2006

Thanks for the replies so far!

I have read from some users that they don't always work satisfactorily.
            I was wondering about that. The one I mentioned says it has adjustable tension cords.

How concerned do I need to be about waves with pull down or motorized screens?
            I guess that is the main question.

I read somewhere a guy left his screen in the down position the waves slowly went away over time. Though I can't have the screen down all the time I could put down when I go to bed and leave it down while I am at work at least on week days.

Comment

• DelRay
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by M.Roberts8

The da-lite Deluxe model B has a built in tensioning arm according to their site. Anyone familiar with it? It is different than the plain model b and about 40.00 more.

I have the Deluxe model B. It's the 92" model. The adjustable tension arm may help some, but the waves are still there. I really don't notice them all that much. But i'm still saving up for a tab-tension screen.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                • Jan 2006

I have the Deluxe model B. It's the 92" model. The adjustable tension arm may help some, but the waves are still there. I really don't notice them all that much. But i'm still saving up for a tab-tension screen.
                DelRay, thanks for your input! I was wondering how well it worked. I am starting to think I will just bite the bullet and go with the 100" tensioned screen right away. Maybe the gf will chip in on the screen as a early Christmas gift.

Comment

• fauzigarib
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
                  DelRay, thanks for your input! I was wondering how well it worked. I am starting to think I will just bite the bullet and go with the 100" tensioned screen right away. Maybe the gf will chip in on the screen as a early Christmas gift.
                  M. Roberts8,

This is some very good feedback that you're getting. I ended up getting a 119" Tab Tensioned Dalite screen just a few months back and could not be happier. Just to fill you in on a bit of the stuff that I learned so far.

Waves - This was my biggest concern when purchasing the screen. In my research, I found mixed reviews about whether or not the tab tensioning eliminates waves or not... almost 80% of the opinions of people that went tensioned I did tabulate, however, had no idea what a wave was. So tab tensioned it was. Plus, it look WAAAAAYYY cool.

Size - There really is such a thing as too big. Like Chris said, bigger IS cooler, but you do not want it to overwhelm your room. Check out www.projectorcentral.com for a few good rules of thumb to see how much of a distance your seating should be at for it to not look awkward. Work backwards, and you can get a max screen size. However, with a 100", I doubt that you can go too wrong.

Screen Ratio - That price that you're quoting sounds REALLY good. Be careful that the ratio is 16:9 or whatever you're looking for. I really find that for movies, 16:9 works really well, so check to see that that is what is being offered.

Screen Material / Gain - The material is the other thing that dramatically sways the price. In my screen size, the prices fluctuated as much as a thousand bucks for the different screen materials. Light Gain is how much the light is "amplified" or "de-amplified" when the light from the projector hits the screen. So if you're watching in a very dark environment, you can do with a gain of 1.00 or thereabouts, because you don't want the image to be too bright. Again, projectorcentral.com is a great place for this.

My sincere opinion is that if you can get the tab-tensioned (even if you have to wait a bit), do it. Most probably, you won't get waves developing with ANY of the screens.... but why risk it. Like someone said, this is not something that you will want to upgrade, so you need to keep the next 5-10 years in view when you're getting it.

Good luck and do let us know what you decide!

Later,

Fauzi

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                    • Jan 2006

Fauziqarib,
                    Thanks for the input! The screen will be a 16:9 for sure. I would sure like to do a 2.35:1 screen but I haven't seen one in a roll up screen and right now I don't have the money for a anmorphic lens anyway.
                    I haven't marked out the wall for the 100" screen yet. According to projectorcentral for the 100" recommended seating is 10-16' which isn't a problem since I will be able to sit anywhere from 12-19'.
                    I called and got quotes on the the 84" and 92" tab-tensioned screens and the price was only 40.00 difference from the 92" to the 100", however the 84" was $230.00 cheaper than the 100". I will have to mark them out on the wall this weekend and see what size looks the best. To tell you the truth any of the 3 sizes mentioned will be awesome for me I am upgrading from a 36" TV. My brother has a 65" RPTV and it is really nice just doesn't quite give you the theater feel.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                      • Jan 2006

Well I ordered my Z5 yesterday. I went with a cheap 100" and will pick up the motorized tab tensioned unit after Christmas.
                      Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"