X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Sound Transparent Screens?

I will be moving into a bigger home and will be getting a projector/screen combo. I would like to put my front channels speakers behind the screen. Is there a screen available that will not dissipate the sound? I was looking at the black diamond zero edge screens, but I didn't see any mention of that on the website.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Aug 2000

You'll need a perforated screen (has lots of tiny holes in it) to let the sound through.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

We've actually switched to woven screens for acoustic transparent. With DLP/LCD/LcOS projectors a perforated screen can cause a moire effect without correct placement of the projector.

You'll get the moire when the pixels line up with the holes in the screen. Do a search to see what it could look like.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Remember one thing, sonically there is a compromise there and as mentioned above, probably a video compromise as well. If you do go for it, remove the grills on the speakers behind the screen so at least the sound doesn't have to travel through 2 barriers!!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yes, I used an acoustically transparent screen in my previous theater, and it was AWSOME!!! I still believe that you have to have one for the ultimate setup, with perfect sound imaging directly in the middle of the screen.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• maseline_98
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
            Yes, I used an acoustically transparent screen in my previous theater, and it was AWSOME!!! I still believe that you have to have one for the ultimate setup, with perfect sound imaging directly in the middle of the screen.
            I was thinking the same about imaging, but if you lose PQ, is it really worth it?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
            Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Well you don't really lose quality, you lose brightness. Generally most projectors these days are way to bright for a light controlled theater anyways.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Dougie's right. My theater worked fine, with a 119" screen, and a Panny PT-AE700 projector that's several years back for model offerings, so it wasn't as bright. Theater was light controlled. There was zero loss of actual picture quality.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• maseline_98
                  • Apr 2005

Well...the question is, is it worth it to go with an acoustic transparent screen then?

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

If it's a light controlled room you'd likely see an improvement because generally you have to turn the brightness way down anyways because of how bright current projectors are. So yes I think there is a great benefit and well worth it.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

maseline, for me, it is.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"