X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zpkingfw
    • Mar 2004

Don't know where to start for FP purchase

Hi, I have a good friend who is in the market for a front projector in the $2500-$3000 range. He wants a high-def model with component connections. We have no idea where to start, any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated. He wants a model that has proven to be reliable and of good quality. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, the big 3 of good LCD projectors right now are the Sanyo Z3, Panasonic PT-AE900, and the... uh... shoot, it's escaping me right now. All 3 are under that budget.

If you're wanting a technology other than LCD, there's a few out there that would work for you.

Me, I would buy either the Z3 or the AE900 right now. Either one will give great performance for maybe $2000 or whatever the street price is lately.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Zpkingfw,

As Chris eluded to the Top 3 projectors in your price range, Panny 900U (which I proudly own), Sanyo Z4, Optoma HD72. The Panny 900 has an rebate of $400.00 which has been extended, beautiful colors, average blacks, needs minor tweaking out of the box, no SDE, no VB. The Sanyo Z4, I've only heard about not seen, the major difference seems to be better blacks, and also Sanyo is currently offering a free lamp with purchase. The Panny 900 and Sanyo Z4 in a head to head comparison, seemed to have minor differences. The Optoma HD72 I haven't really seen, but reviews are favorable. It's best to see for yourself and make determinations. I was persuaded by the $400.00 rebate, and $300.00 Blockbuster rental on the Panny 900U, your mileage may vary of course.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

There's also the Sony HS51 that has an msrp of $3500, but you can probably get it for around $3,000. I'd suggest you go to Projector Central and look at the specs on the various projectors listed there. It's important to know where the PJ will be placed distance-wise from the screen as this will also determine how large or small a screen you will need. The specs at this site have a distance and screensize calculator for each projector and you will see that throw distance is pretty much different for each make and model.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Yes the Sony HS51 certainly merits consideration George, it was originally one of the projectors I was considering, being offered by my dealer. Also worthy of consideration would be the Sharp XV-Z2000.

How quickly one forgets .

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• eddiem67
            • Jun 2004

Ben Q is another option
            My Car Audio

Comment

• zpkingfw
              • Mar 2004

Thanks for all the feedback and help, you guys have given us a starting point. We plan on checking out all the models mentioned, will keep you posted as to results and final decision.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"