X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Optoma HD72

The HD 72 is supposed to be the first decent sub $2K DLP pj. Since it's impossible to get to see ANY front pj around here on demo, I just ordered an HD72 based on a review and some good comments on another forum. Everything that the dealers hav showing is either last years models or $20K units. Has anyone here purchased or seen an HD 72 yet?
    Jerry Rappaport
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Jerry,

Congratulations on your new projector purchase. No I haven't seen it, however, I have recommended this DLP to a friend of mine. It is highly rated, the only issue to be aware of if is the offset, limited throw distance and no physical lens shift. This may limit your installation options, ceiling mount supposedly provides the best solution.

Just thoughts to consider, and again congratulations this projector provides excellent bang for the buck.

What screen have you considered?

Keep us posted and enjoy.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

If you can live with the things Azeke pointed out, I think you will be very happy with the Optoma. Keep us informed.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

It just so happens that my room is such that I can accomodate the quirks of the HD72 perfectly. Ceiling mount from a 9' ceiling 12' throw distance to a 100" screen. For starters I bought a 100" Elite high contrast grey screen, mainly because it was cheap and I could get it quickly. My room is not well light controlled so the only time it is totally dark is at night. I thought the light output of the DLP was superior to all the LCDs, but I didn't know what screen I would need.

If everything works ok, I'll probably upgrade to a Stewart Firehawk G2 and adjust my screen size up or down as experience dictates. My viewing distance is only 15' and The Summits only like to be max 8' apart in my room for optimum sweet spot in audio.

Perhaps someone can tell me where to get a combination HDMI and Component cable. I've seen them in VGA/Component but never DVI or HDMI.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

Congratulations on the HD72 purchase.

Do you mean a HDMI-to-Component cable?

VGA and component are both (high resolution) analog connections.
          DVI and HDMI are digital.

There are cables and separate boxes available if you want to convert between analog and digital connection formats.

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

No, I mean a zip apart cable that has both HDMI conductors and connectors as well as Component conductors or connectors.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

I haven't seen them yet. Most people would just run two cables.

Comment

• caleb
                • Aug 2004

Hi Jerry,
                I have had mine for about three weeks now and am very satisfied.
                I also have been monitoring the "other" forum comments on this projector.
                I use component cables (RGB) and am very impressed with the picture quality.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Thanks guy
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

Progressive component cables (RGB) are analog, but they can handle high definition resolutions easily and cleanly. The digital connections are more about copy protection than resolution anyway. I suggest to most buyers that they look for HDMI connections, but it's more about forward compatibility with peripherals like HD-DVD/BluRay than any picture quality issues.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2003

Dean, I kinda disagree with the simplicity of that statement. The copy protection gurus have decided to focus their attention on DVI and HDMI but the real advantage of both of these is staying in the digital domain, eliminating a set of DACs and in the case of digital sources such as LEDs or DLP a set of ADCs. This results in a noticibale difference in video noise.
                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

OK...the bugger arrived today. Very easy to install and setup. I'm watching on a blue green knockdown texture wall right now cause the screen hasn't arrived yet. Not bad, not bad at all for $2K.
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                          • May 2003

Go put a bedsheet up with some thumbtacks for now =)
                          If its anything like my lower rez h27, i'm sure you're enjoying it.
                          Mine doesn't have quite the resolution yours does, but its a stable little guy. quiet and colourful. The wife and I LOVE our HDTV broadcasts now. Try to watch that Man-eating Tiger in sumatra documentary. You HAVE to love DLP colours, eh?
                          They just seem to jump out and knock you on the head.

In case you noticed a smell, i'll also say that mine had some Off-gassing for the first 50 hours, so don't worry about it too much. Well, it's a super hot lamp surrounded by plastic, so I guess its expected.

If you'd like to see some worse case scenarios for RBE, Sin City makes a good test.
                          If you're fine with that one, you're probably good for anything else that pops up.
                          (I hardly even notice this anymore with the 4x wheel-unless i concentrate).

Other than that, enjoy.
                          Suberbit Starship Troopers was one of my first movies on it.
                          Man, that was awesome (and still is). heh.

Cheers,
                          Leef
                          P.S. that AI mode is ok, but it doesn't add all THAT much brightness/contrast.
                          I set mine up in normal mode, because i'm cheap and don't feel like buying Lamps every year.
                          "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                          -Dark Helmet

Comment

• DrJRapp
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Leef DaLucky
                            P.S. that AI mode is ok, but it doesn't add all THAT much brightness/contrast.
                            I set mine up in normal mode, because i'm cheap and don't feel like buying Lamps every year.
                            I agree wholeheartedly. this thing is plenty bright and has super colors without some of the gimmicky processing.
                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"