X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sanyo's attempt to stop pirates

(IDG) -- Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd. has developed a new technology which it says prevents the copying of CD-ROM discs onto CD-R (CD-recordable) discs, the company said.

When users try to copy a CD-ROM disc protected with the technology onto a CD-R disc, a hidden file, which consists of data that causes errors, will be read and prevent illegal copying, according to Tamotsu Itoi, a spokesman for Sanyo.

This file will be hidden on discs at the pressing stage. The size and the location of this hidden file vary for each master disc, making it harder for software which can detect the hidden file to be developed, Itoi said.

The new system from Sanyo is the latest in a number of technologies developed to prevent pirating of CD-ROMs. Most of these have failed because programmers have found ways around the systems and developed software to help users bypass the protection. Sanyo said it will keep working on the technology in an attempt to break this vicious circle, said Itoi.

Until then, it will start taking orders from vendors for this new technology to be added to their CDs and hopes to earn profits of between 400 million and 500 million yen (US$3.4 million to $4.4 million) from it in its first fiscal year on the market, Itoi said.

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here's the solution to that problem. It's a bit copier that makes RAW copies.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

In the 80s software companies learned a valuable lesson: copy protection DOESN'T STOP piracy. It looks like the entertainment and software industries need to learn it all over again.

In the meantime, it's a simple matter to scan the CD to locate the file with the errors, then exclude it from the copy. Or use a bit-for-bit copier.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I was going ot say don't the RAW CD copiers just copy the disc bit for bit this won't stop them from being copies as a whole disc

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

If they succeed, I will never buy a Sanyo product period. It's our right to copy our own music. F'k em.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Although Sanyo's product seems to be geared toward CD-ROM (computer software), there are a number of audio CD "protection" schemes being tested, including a Macrovision scheme.

What gets me about this is (1) these schemes won't stop piracy, since the biggest problem isn't people making CD-R copies at home, it's bootleggers who make mass copies and sell them, (2) software updates will work around the protection, and (3) deviating from the Red Book standard will likely cause problems with certain CD players. For example, the Macrovision scheme introduces errors into the bitstream, which could render the discs unplayable on car and portable CD players with anti-skip protection, not to mention PCs. Plus it will likely degrade the sound quality, just like Macrovision on VHS and DVD has been proven to degrade video quality.

In any case, copy protection benefits no one and hurts everyone.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

If they succeed, I will never buy a Sanyo product period
              Personally this shouldn't be to hard

Comment

• Markj
                • Aug 2000

It seems that all of these copy protection schemes are directed at us the general user. The people that pirate for their living have equipment and resources that can over come these schemes easily. They are targeting the wrong people!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

it gets much worse

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

The Onion brings you all of the latest news, stories, photos, videos and more from America's finest news source.

This is hilarious look at the 'problem' of MP3

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

What's ironic about all this protection crap is that eventually the only way to get quality copies of music/movies/software will be from the pirates. For example, take the recent Charley Pride CD that had a copy protection scheme applied to it. If you want that CD, you have the following choices:[*]Buy the protected CD, and have it not play, or play badly, on many/all of your CD players[*]Buy the protected CD, then use a ripper program that bypasses the protection and burn an error-free copy[*]Buy a cracked CD from a pirate[*]Download MP3s off the Internet, and burn your own CD.

The protection in this case would seem to have the opposite effect of what the record companies were hoping for.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"