X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmak
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2002

Buying Grand Wega 42" LCD RPTV Today

I'm pulling the trigger today on a KFE42A10 and BEV 6120 HD receiver. A local store has a Boxing Day sale today, with no payments and no interest until summer. I hope they have it in stock. I'll post pics later with it in the armoire. :T
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Congrats...looking forward to the pics :T
    Jason

Comment

• kmak
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2002

They didn't have the KFE, but gave me the KDFE for the same price $1,999.00 no pay/no int/no admin fee for 6 months. I also bought a 6100 HD receiver. It looks FAB, my wife thinks I'm nuts......I am. :lol:

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Congratulations Ken, hopefully your wife will appreciate it later.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• kmak
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2002

Here are the pics.

Attached Files

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Looking good buddy :T You need some nice programming on tires running on it now :rofl:
            Jason

Comment

• kmak
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2002

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• ekkoville
                • Aug 2004

Ken, just bought the Sony 42" as well on Sunday. I had been lurking around the stores for some time and really loved it and it fits perfect into a cove I built for the bonus room, aka Mantown. So far it is just as nice as I thought it would be.

Comment

• kmak
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2002

Congrats :T

I think this set is great in value/performance. HD images are great. I expected some problems with HD hockey but I can't see "trailers".

Comment

• ekkoville
                    • Aug 2004

Watched some HD football on Sunday when I got it home and it was great. Not much smearing with high action events. The color and clarity are fantastic right out of the box. I am thinking of getting an ISF calibration or a calibration piece from Ram Electronics to further tweak it.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

You might want to check on that ISF calibration Erik, I just read the review of the Sony KDL-V40XBR1 40" LCD in HT Mag. and they were told by Sony that "the gray scale on the set wasn't adjustable outside of the factory". As such you may not be able to get much done beyond an AVIA/DVE calibration.

Otherwise they were quite pleased with the TV especially with it's ability to make SDTV extremely watchable and it's wide viewing angle :T

The "negatives" were a very oversaturated and blueish green (oversaturated green is EXTREMELY common with plasmas/LCD's for some reason) and poor performance on interlaced 480i input (not a problem with a progressive scan or upsampling DVD player)
                      Jason

Comment

• kmak
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2002

I've noticed the green thing. Jason, how do I reduce this, besides hue?

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Not sure you can according to the HT Mag review especially with the grey scale not being adjustable. They did mention the problem was less if you don't turn the "wide" colour setting on but they also mention the rest of the colour decoding was better with it on.... Might be worth a call/email to Sony and/or an ISF tech.
                          Jason

Comment

• Snap
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2005

Sony has some other color adjustments...trying to think of them off the top of my head.....If you use Avia, or some other calibration disk you can dial it in pretty nice actually.
                            Iris=Contrast
                            Picture= another form of contrast/picture depth
                            Brightness= No Change
                            Color=Changes color intensity
                            Hue=Changes the Green levels.

If you mess with Picture, Color, and Hue settings you should be able to get it dialed in very well.

Blessed,
                            Snap
                            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• ekkoville
                              • Aug 2004

Maybe the Avia disc the wa to go. The more I mess with the settings randomly, the harder it is. There is also this calibration tool, the SpyderTV, http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/SpyderTV.html, however a little pricey.

Comment

• kmak
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2002

i don't have a dvd player hooked up to it and don't feel like disconnecting the one i have in the HT. Screw it I'll randomly mess with it lol

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Snap
                                  Sony has some other color adjustments...trying to think of them off the top of my head.....If you use Avia, or some other calibration disk you can dial it in pretty nice actually.
                                  Iris=Contrast
                                  Picture= another form of contrast/picture depth
                                  Brightness= No Change
                                  Color=Changes color intensity
                                  Hue=Changes the Green levels.

If you mess with Picture, Color, and Hue settings you should be able to get it dialed in very well.

Blessed,
                                  Snap
                                  Those things will help dial it in as much as the TV will allow but the green push is an inherant trait of the colour decoder. Without being able to adjust that you can not, as far as I know, get rid of the green push.
                                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"