X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

UNCLE! Need help with the Grand Wega II setup

I've tried repeatedly. However, TV calibration and setup is a chink in my HT armor. So I think I'd like to find one of those ISF guys I read about to come out and do it up right.

So my question to you folks. How do I go about finding one of these gurus in my area? And how much should I expect to pay for his services?

The TV is a Sony Grand Wega II 50XBR800!

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Click on the "Trained Dealers" link to locate ISF techs in your area. I'm not sure on pricing...perhaps someone else can chime in.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• leeda2
      • May 2003

check out www.avsforum.com. search for "grand wega" or "gw2" or "gwii" and you should find plenty of threads on tweaking your set. i have the 60" and have been able to get a great picture from many of the tweaks. look especially for a posts by "umr"... this person is more knowledgeable about the grand wega than anyone i've ever encountered.

good luck!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Call Gregg Loewen at gloewen AT fchn DOT org and have him stop by on his next trip out your way.

Comment

• leeda2
          • May 2003

have you tried a tune-up disc like avia or sound & vision? these also come in handy with the tweaks i found on avsforum.

also, what source material are you viewing to calibrate? on the grand wega, and other high-def sets, any "imperfections" in the source signal will be magnified... standard definition broadcasts via rabbit ears can look unwatchable.

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by leeda2
            have you tried a tune-up disc like avia or sound & vision? these also come in handy with the tweaks i found on avsforum.

also, what source material are you viewing to calibrate? on the grand wega, and other high-def sets, any "imperfections" in the source signal will be magnified... standard definition broadcasts via rabbit ears can look unwatchable.
            Leeda, Thank you so much for the tips and the effort.

I'm very familiar with UMR's exhaustive work in this area. But after printing out his entire "how to," and trying some of it, I still don't think I got it right. Then there is the fact that there is no "restore defaults" in the service menus. So If I really mess it up, well.....

And I've been through the my AVIA disc, 2 times at least. Again, I'm either missing something, or just don't have the knack for it.

That's why I'm looking for a Professional.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• leeda2
              • May 2003

Originally posted by Rock Dog
              I'm very familiar with UMR's exhaustive work in this area. But after printing out his entire "how to," and trying some of it, I still don't think I got it right. Then there is the fact that there is no "restore defaults" in the service menus. So If I really mess it up, well.....

And I've been through the my AVIA disc, 2 times at least. Again, I'm either missing something, or just don't have the knack for it.

Going with a profession would be best. However, take a look at the latest umr thread. I noticed that someone posted a spreadsheet with "all" the values for "all" the settings. This my help you revert back to the orginal settings and start over. Also, you may want to post a private message to umr directly. he seems pretty willing to help out individuals.

I'd just hate for you to have to shell out big bucks to get your set adjusted when I was able to accomplish the adjustments myself. I'm not knocking your ability... I just think the tweaks aren't so bad if you take another crack at it.

Best of luck!

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by leeda2

Going with a profession would be best. However, take a look at the latest umr thread. I noticed that someone posted a spreadsheet with "all" the values for "all" the settings. This my help you revert back to the orginal settings and start over. Also, you may want to post a private message to umr directly. he seems pretty willing to help out individuals.

I'd just hate for you to have to shell out big bucks to get your set adjusted when I was able to accomplish the adjustments myself. I'm not knocking your ability... I just think the tweaks aren't so bad if you take another crack at it.

Best of luck!

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Rock Dog
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2003

Oh don't get me wrong; I have a strong background in electronics, mechanics, computers, and some programming. But you have to admit the GWII service menu leaves a lot to be desired. It's bit hard to follow and know where you are. And since there is no "going back" per se, I get very worried about saving a setting by accident, and really screwing something up. When I was first going through "UMR dose GWII" late last year (or was it early this year?) :huh: I made sure I wrote down every single setting before changing it. It's the ones that I may slip on, hit the wrong button, not knowing it, then saving the mistake that I worry about.

If I'm weak in something it's the "Home Theater" side of the equation. Understanding the difference between color decoders, and their relationship to hue, tint, color and so on. Black levels with regards to IRE standards, 7.5 and 0 and what not. That's where my weakness lies. I don't like making changes unless I understand exactly what I am changing, and what it is supposed to do. So If I make a change and don't see an immediate difference, then I question whether I did it correctly. When in fact it may be that I won't notice a change until 3 or 4 other service menu items have been changed. So I change it back, and before you know it, I really messed things up.

I'll go back over there and give UMR's latest documentation the once over. I have not even looked at his stuff since late winter, so maybe a lot has happened since then to make it more understandable, maybe it's clearer to a "Muggle" like me.

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• sloan
                    • Sep 2003

I'm new to this board, great site.

You can restore to factory defaults.

Use the remote to activate the on screen menu then push the red recessed button on the remote labeled rec.

As an owner of a Wega I can assure that it is impossible to calibrate without entering into system settings. I spent hours trying then finally paid a tech and was never happier.

Hope this helps

sloan

Comment

• leeda2
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by sloan
                      I'm new to this board, great site.

You can restore to factory defaults.

Use the remote to activate the on screen menu then push the red recessed button on the remote labeled rec.

As an owner of a Wega I can assure that it is impossible to calibrate without entering into system settings. I spent hours trying then finally paid a tech and was never happier.

Hope this helps

sloan
                      beware of using this feature... i've read on other boards of instances where the "restore factory default" feature caused more harm than good. refer to the spreadsheet of factory values for what to reset to.

i cannot speak from personal experience, but i'd be cautious with any "reset" feature. rather than look for an escape route, take some time to study the various tweaks that are possible through this forum and various other out there and plan your tweaks before jumping in head first.

i've been enjoying my umr-tweaked gwii picture for about a half year now and have not looked back. good luck!

Comment

• sloan
                        • Sep 2003

Concerning the reset feature.

I have used extensively. Infact after the tech calibrated my television and set his values as the default I use it daily. I change the settings periodically (usually when I'm playing X-box games) and its nice to be able to revert to the calibrated setting by resetting the television.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"